Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ref for Monday Night

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
It's an almost impossible job. What annoyed me most about Dean though was that it was SUCH an important game for both sides that if he wasn't 100% sure it was a sending off which he clearly wasn't then he HAS to err on the side of caution. It's simply too important a decision to guess and it's cost us too much.
I agree with your comments

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
So this is the ref that thought a Derby player parrying a goal bound shot, two handed, in the penalty area, was not an infringement, Great.

Just realised that I was referring to the game earlier in the season not the playoff game :facepalm:l

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I was fully expecting the Football League to proudly announce the referee for Monday as HOOPS.

So, every cloud, etc.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Sorry there were several who called him a cheat, Ramirez however I do agree with you

Ramirez didn't cheat. I've no doubt that the injury would have hurt at the time, so his reaction (all apart from knocking the card) was completely understandable. Of everyone involved, too, Ramirez would genuinely have been very poorly placed to know whether the incident was accidental or not.

Dean on the other hand, has very, very clearly acted on the injury, and not based on his own impression of the actual incident. His failure to follow the laws, and procedures as set out, is simply inexplicable, and unforgiveable.

I would draw the line at calling him a cheat, though. - he just got it very wrong. I think he lost his composure and panicked under huge pressure - very poor though, given his enormous experience.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ramirez didn't cheat. I've no doubt that the injury would have hurt at the time, so his reaction (all apart from knocking the card) was completely understandable. Of everyone involved, too, Ramirez would genuinely have been very poorly placed to know whether the incident was accidental or not.

Dean on the other hand, has very, very clearly acted on the injury, and not based on his own impression of the actual incident. His failure to follow the laws, and procedures as set out, is simply inexplicable, and unforgiveable.

I would draw the line at calling him a cheat, though. - he just got it very wrong. I think he lost his composure and panicked under huge pressure - very poor though, given his enormous experience.

Quite agree. Can't call Ramirez a cheat, on the basis that he's quite clearly hurt. I don't blame him for being in PAIN or a bit shocked by that. Unfortunately, he's fallen into the same trap as a few Boro fans in assuming that, because he's hurt, it must have been a quite heinous challenge, which it wasn't.

Mike Dean also knew it wasn't, but melted under pressure from Angry Gaston (and then told somebody porkies as to his reasons for changing his mind). He's not a cheat either. He's just made a really, really shoddy decision and then tried to excuse it by later coming up with a fractionally more plausible explanation (claiming that the assistant referee convinced him).

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Are there any refs that you dont think have it in for Brighton?

Give over, you know as well as I do that we only remember the terrible decisions, and instantly forget the good ones.

This is OUR persecution thread, and we're very happy with it, thanks :)

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Give over, you know as well as I do that we only remember the terrible decisions, and instantly forget the good ones.

This is OUR persecution thread, and we're very happy with it, thanks :)

Ha, fair enough. I really hope you guys go up but if you do you will have to put up with PL refs every week........

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Are there any refs that have given us any really FAVOURABLE decisions ?

The ref for the play off final at the Millenium in 2004. We always seemed to win when he was ref but I don't remember him giving us any particularly favourable decisions.

Edit to add
Richard Beeby Northamptonshire.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Are there any refs that you dont think have it in for Brighton?

Did you see the incident? No, thought not. So far this season I have criticised the **** we had against Boro and this guy from three seasons ago. Hardly serial moaning. Wasn't it you that wondered why I thought Dean was a homer in the first half and queried why that would be? No doubt you you are like the Boro fans who thought it was a nailed on red card for Stephens and that the ref had a great game?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here