Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ref ends U.S.-Mexico early amid anti-gay chants

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
I thought this might be of some interest since we get more than their fair share of anti-gay slurs thrown at us:

An ugly game even by US vs Mexico standards. Ended as a 9 vs 9 and the ref called it off after 7 minutes of what was supposed to be 12 minutes of stoppage time.

"Highlights" may or may not be visible in the UK:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
All quite pathetic in 2023 . Mind you in Mexico , verbal assaults are the least of your problems when people are getting shot and stabbed at an alarming rate . Very dangerous country . And yes I know the US is not the safest country either !

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
"The Mexican Football Federation (FMF) has struggled in recent years with curtailing the anti-gay chant that is typically yelled during opposing goal kicks."

Can we see if we can get the FA to stop the cringey tin-pot ooooooooooooooooooo you're shit ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh please.
It's embarrassing.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seems a very aggy match with fights breaking out throughout the stands too.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
"The Mexican Football Federation (FMF) has struggled in recent years with curtailing the anti-gay chant that is typically yelled during opposing goal kicks."

Can we see if we can get the FA to stop the cringey tin-pot ooooooooooooooooooo you're shit ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh please.
It's embarrassing.
I'm sorry, it's still funny! Most smaller clubs of knowing where they came from still do it.
Big clubs don't do it, because their tourists/fans are still taking selfies rather than watching the match

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There

It's embarrassing.
I still chant this, even though I know it sounds a bit crap, but for the only reason it reminds me of the Goldstone. Hearing the North Stand chant this with every goal kick was my first introduction to a rude word. For that, it holds sentimental value.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm sorry, it's still funny! Most smaller clubs of knowing where they came from still do it.
Big clubs don't do it, because their tourists/fans are still taking selfies rather than watching the match

I’m with you.
Takes me back just for a few seconds to getting drenched at Withdean on a dark and windy Tuesday night, in November in the lower leagues.

Embrace it!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I turned it off after the big match (Canada vs Panama), I guess I should have kept it on!

Good to see a couple of US players will be missing from the final now :thumbsup:

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
When I first started taking my daughter (aged 4) to the Cottage, I gradually introduced her to the traditional songs, omitting rude words where appropriate. When we got STs in the family section near the Hammersmith End this became even more necessary. When she asked what the 'ooooooshitaaaaaah' was, I told her they were saying 'dodgy keepaaaaah'. It was a few years (possibly an away game at the Amex) when the penny dropped. She's just about forgiven me.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It’s hilarious and I’m willing to die on this hill

THIS

Bloody kids today, what do they know :rolleyes:

When I first started taking my daughter (aged 4) to the Cottage, I gradually introduced her to the traditional songs, omitting rude words where appropriate. When we got STs in the family section near the Hammersmith End this became even more necessary. When she asked what the 'ooooooshitaaaaaah' was, I told her they were saying 'dodgy keepaaaaah'. It was a few years (possibly an away game at the Amex) when the penny dropped. She's just about forgiven me.

Friends of mine in the Family stand convinced their kids that the chant was ooooooooohhh, Hot Chips aaaahhhh :wink:

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This thread has not been derailed.

It has been dismantled, and re-assembled in someone's back garden.

As a shed.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The "youreshitaaaaaaaah" is part of football heritage. If we do away with that we may as well scrap the game entirely.

Madness. Absolute madness.
So satisfying when they do slice it out of play.
I also enjoy the extended pirate Aaaars though this I'd rather not have on every goal kick

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

It's embarrassing.
No we can’t. It’s a traditional chant sung for many years, by many teams!

Football has changed enough in recent times....leave the traditional chants alone!

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
I really fancied going last night as it was quite reasonably priced, but didn’t because…

a). Didn’t want to sit by myself with a bunch of drunk Mexicans
b). Didn’t want to get punched

I wouldn’t mind seeing the final against Canada but the Mexicans will still be there for the first game. Might take in Borussia Dortmund vs Manchester United next month though…

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Mini-Exile found it hilarious first time she realised what it was when she was 6 or 7 and couldn't believe a few thousand adults were doing something so childish and using a rude word as well. Even now she's older if it's particularly loud, especially if there's the pirate aaahhs too after and she's not there in person (Wembley semi for example at De Gea) I'll film it and send it to her with the certainty it'll give her a giggle.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My son’s first away game was Charlton just after Hughton had taken over. He was 8. Charlton came out and their little crew in the top tier behind the goal started singing to the beat of the drummer who is always up there. Cue 3000 Brighton singing “you can stick that f***ing drum up your a**e”. Him and his 9 year old mate burst into laughter.

Since then it’s very much been ‘what happens on tour stays on tour’.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here