Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Redknapp speaks out against the "director of football" type role

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
How many clubs has Redknapp ruined financially without a DoF overlooking?

Well on his way to another one right now. Of course he'll jump ship before the shit really hits the fan and leave some other poor ****er to clean up the mess.

None. Managers don't write negotiate transfer fees / salaries or write cheques. Managers request certain players to be signed and it's then down to the Chief exec and chairman to open and conclude negotiations. Ultimately if a player is not within budget the chairman can refuse to sanction it. I never hear anyone on hear blaming David O Leary for the financial problems Leeds experienced when they were spending money like it was going out of fashion.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So it's ok for the manager to sign 11 Ronaldos even though he only has a budget for 11 barn door Billy's. Recipe for going out of business I would say.

There are still financial constraints in place even if there is no Director of football. If a manager works closely with a Cheif Executive and a chairman there is no need to put a club in financial trouble.
On the other side of the coin if you have a role for someone who co-ordinates scouting on behalf of the manager Imsee no problem with that but he has to answer to the manager ultimately. I'm agree with Rosie's owner on this one.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
So what are Swansea, Southampton, Chelsea, West Brom, Stoke all proving who also have similar systems?

The problem chairman have is manager briefs scouts, manager signs players he wants, manager has success, manager leaves. Next manager needs to start again. That is happening with us anyway, but with clubs like Southampton, they are changing managers, directors etc, but they are establishing continuity right through the club and sustaining success.

Do you really think Mourinho isn't totally in control of player recruitment at Chelsea, whatever the structure is? As was fergie at United. Part of the reason that strong, abrasive characters seem to do better as managers is that strength of personality and ego to ensure they get what they want - and unfortunately those are qualities that Gus had and Sami seemingly doesn't.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Capello was sent by one of his clubs on a financial course. I don't think accounting is too difficult but negotiations are.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Do you really think Mourinho isn't totally in control of player recruitment at Chelsea, whatever the structure is? As was fergie at United. Part of the reason that strong, abrasive characters seem to do better as managers is that strength of personality and ego to ensure they get what they want - and unfortunately those are qualities that Gus had and Sami seemingly doesn't.

meant to cancel post instead of submit!!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
None. Managers don't write negotiate transfer fees / salaries or write cheques. Managers request certain players to be signed and it's then down to the Chief exec and chairman to open and conclude negotiations. Ultimately if a player is not within budget the chairman can refuse to sanction it. I never hear anyone on hear blaming David O Leary for the financial problems Leeds experienced when they were spending money like it was going out of fashion.

You're right. It's just uncanny how many times lightning has struck when it come to 'Arry.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Each to their own, but I don't think it's the case here. Bloom, Barber and (to a lesser extent) Hyypia have all said that the manager is key when signing a player. The Director of Football identifies the players and Hyypia has the deciding vote.

I don't think many Director's of Football have complete control (although Spurs may be). I did think the Villas-Boas sacking was silly though: being told to integrate 15 new players of different nationality, that you haven't picked yourself and then to only be given 6 months?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Of course he'll jump ship before the shit really hits the fan and leave some other poor ****er to clean up the mess.

I bet Avram Grant, Paul Hart and Steve Kean have got their mobiles switched on and ready for the call...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here