Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Redknapp and the jury's out (merged) ** NOT GUILTY**

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
It's just a thought and some of you have already remarked 'out of the game too long' 'having affairs or something' decent points i just think with Brooking at the F/A and i believe in a powerful position, a short term appointment like Curbs seems to fit their style of doing things. If not him and if Harry is 'out of the game' just who do you choose ?

TO be honest i don't think being "out of the game" matters too much when it comes to national coach and i wouldn't have a problem with him. Had a respectable management career but would have thought if he wanted to return to management he would have found a job by now. I was more remarking on the FA may not want to try the "clean" person route when McClaren got destroyed by the press

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think more likely the other way round, Mandaric is saying it was tax paid american money that he was going to invest on Harrys behalf, if true he has done nothing wrong unless the nest egg made a profit in which case harry would have to declare unearned income.

As the story goes that Mandaric lost the money then harry hasn't financially benefitted and no laws have been broken, seems to me to be more a case of a potential infringement rather than an actual one. I think it will be not guilty on both counts, just my opinion, we will soon see.

If this board was an impartial jury the evidence so far points to no majority decision.

FFS, he's guilty. Everyone knows he is.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I think the FA will go for Hodgson. Doesn't exactly get my juices going but I guess he would be viewed as a safe pair of hands and ticks the following boxes:

1. He's English - the foreign manager thing hasn't been a success for England, so must have a lot of appeal to the FA.
2. He has extensive European experience which some of his rivals don't
3. Don't think Pearce is quite in the frame as yet, although wouldn't rule him out.
4. Might suit Hodgson at his age not to be a Club manager.
5. Hodgson may be viewed as a good mentor for Pearce and allow the younger man to be more hands on team matters - given Pearce's experience of the current U-21s now feeding into the senior squad. Nicely sets Pearce up to become the successor later on?

Might be complete bollocks but I really don't see too many other persuasive candidates out there.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I never understand those who only want an English manager. We want to win and I don't care where the manager comes from. Our last two foreign managers have been a lot better than our last two English managers.

Should our country be able to produce a decent manager? Of course. Should our country be producing the best managers in the world? No, not necessarily. It's not like we're the only footballing country producing managers.
Should a footballing competition between countries require that country to produce their own manager? Maybe, but it doesn't, so we should just get the best available.

And if I had to name one money grabbing **** of an England manager, it would be Steve McClaren who, despite destroying our team, wouldn't go until he was paid off.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
TO be honest i don't think being "out of the game" matters too much when it comes to national coach and i wouldn't have a problem with him. Had a respectable management career but would have thought if he wanted to return to management he would have found a job by now. I was more remarking on the FA may not want to try the "clean" person route when McClaren got destroyed by the press

True,but there always seems to be a West Ham link to the England job and with Brooking there that swings it for me. However Hodgson is a decent call.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yes but they tried a "clean" manager with McClaren and look where that went and didn't the newspapers find him having affairs or something.

I thought he was guilty of having a dodgy Dutch accent and being inappropriately in charge of an umbrella (as well as being a shite manager)?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Yes it has, they've done better than recent English managers.

You're easily pleased. Neither Sven or Capello have acheived that much internationally with England, unless you are happy with a 4-1 tonking by the Germans last time and a tactically inept 'defeat from the jaws of victory' against Brazil before that.

I have much higher expectations of the manager of 'our' national team, especially a foreigner. We spent a fortune on acheiving mediocrity. Mind you I do think the England manager has a poisoned chalice what with a load of over talented but over paid and chavvy players who always seem to let him down in some way. I did think Capello would have the bearing and strength of character to be more successful but even his authority has been undermined by Terry, Rooney and even Beckham etc etc I don't think even Mourinho would cope with such a dysfunctional group (might be fun viewing though). On top of that the manager has cope with extreme media intrusion.

On a very optimistic note the next generation of England players look to have a good chance as they did well at U21s - so why not let Pearce have a go at the senior job, maybe mentored by Hodgson?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You're easily pleased. Neither Sven or Capello have acheived that much internationally with England
McClaren failed to get us to qualify for the Euros, and Keegan would have failed too, but Sven stepped in and saved us.
unless you are happy with a 4-1 tonking by the Germans last time
As bad as that performance was, it should have been 2-2 at half time were it not for FIFA's incompetence, and we may have won.
and a tactically inept 'defeat from the jaws of victory' against Brazil before that.
We just weren't as good as Brazil - shock. What annoys me about our performance in 2002 was that we should never have been playing Brazil in the afternoon heat, we should have won our group and played Turkey, to then face Brazil in the semis when it was an evening game.

Would you just rather we never qualified for the finals, to save the pain? If so, let's get Big Sam in. You highlight problems managing our players and I don't disagree, but an English manager isn't necessarily the answer. Harry could work, at least he's proved he's capable of getting a team to play good football, and near the top of the premiership. But I'd be happy with a foreign manager too.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
As bad as that performance was, it should have been 2-2 at half time were it not for FIFA's incompetence, and we may have won.

Or you may not have won. Because as it panned out you were thrashed by the better side. That wasn't FIFA's fault.

McClaren failed to get us to qualify for the Euros, and Keegan would have failed too, but Sven stepped in and saved us.
We just weren't as good as Brazil - shock. What annoys me about our performance in 2002 was that we should never have been playing Brazil in the afternoon heat, we should have won our group and played Turkey, to then face Brazil in the semis when it was an evening game.

Would you just rather we never qualified for the finals, to save the pain? If so, let's get Big Sam in. You highlight problems managing our players and I don't disagree, but an English manager isn't necessarily the answer. Harry could work, at least he's proved he's capable of getting a team to play good football, and near the top of the premiership. But I'd be happy with a foreign manager too.

But, if the choice is failure with an expensive paid foreign manager and failure with a crap English manager, I'd rather fail with an English manager. Not least for the £3m a year they probably saved on McClaren's wages as compared to Capello's. What's the point of paying the manager £6m a year and still being shit?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You're easily pleased. Neither Sven or Capello have acheived that much internationally with England, unless you are happy with a 4-1 tonking by the Germans last time and a tactically inept 'defeat from the jaws of victory' against Brazil before that.
What twaddle. Sven is, statistically, the second most successful English manager of all time. He's also the only manager who's got us to three successive quarter-finals. But, shock, he lost to Brazil - the eventual winners and most successful World Cup team of all time. No, we won nothing under him but then we haven't won anything under ten of the other 11 managers England have had either.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Just looking at Oddschecker. Pardew at around 8 or 10/1 Hodgson 5 or 6/1 Curbs 33/1 or 66/1 and here is an interesting one and only one 'Bookie' showing a price Coppell at 25,s and when you look at the list Coppell is not a bad call,but could he 'hack' the media ?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I never understand those who only want an English manager. We want to win and I don't care where the manager comes from. Our last two foreign managers have been a lot better than our last two English managers.

Should our country be able to produce a decent manager? Of course. Should our country be producing the best managers in the world? No, not necessarily. It's not like we're the only footballing country producing managers.
Should a footballing competition between countries require that country to produce their own manager? Maybe, but it doesn't, so we should just get the best available.

And if I had to name one money grabbing **** of an England manager, it would be Steve McClaren who, despite destroying our team, wouldn't go until he was paid off.
Absolutely. Ok, in the ideal world our manager would be English, but it is NOT a FIFA criteria that the manager/coach must be the same nationality as the team he coaches. And if it wasn't hard enough for us to win tournaments already we've got people inventing new, unofficial rules to handicap us further! I think it's a British trait, we do so love our petty rules and regulations in this country and if we don't think they're strong enough we invent extra ones. Until they change the rules I want the best person available.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I have much higher expectations of the manager of 'our' national team, especially a foreigner. We spent a fortune on acheiving mediocrity. Mind you I do think the England manager has a poisoned chalice what with a load of over talented but over paid and chavvy players who always seem to let him down in some way. I did think Capello would have the bearing and strength of character to be more successful but even his authority has been undermined by Terry, Rooney and even Beckham etc etc I don't think even Mourinho would cope with such a dysfunctional group (might be fun viewing though). On top of that the manager has cope with extreme media intrusion.

On a very optimistic note the next generation of England players look to have a good chance as they did well at U21s - so why not let Pearce have a go at the senior job, maybe mentored by Hodgson?
No one's 'happy' with our performances, but it's a fact that both Ericsson and Capello have better records than most English managers - especially the two immediately before and after Sven. Indeed in the historical context of continual English tournament failure Sven had us punching well above our historical weight.

And Pearce! Are you mad? Keegan Mk II at best.

I think it's a British trait, we do so love our petty rules and regulations in this country and if we don't think they're strong enough we invent extra ones. Until they change the rules I want the best person available.

Is that why Germany, Italy, France, Brazil and Argentina (off the top of my head, I'm sure there are plenty more) have never had a non-dom manager?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here