Votes: 11 9.8%
  • Nothing - it's a man's game after all

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Clearly not an infraction of any rule. Lukaku didn't get a punishment for doing the same to Bong so that sets the precedent.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Reckless.

I'd give it a yellow just like I'd give Bissouma a yellow rather than a red when he kicked the shit out of some bloke last season.

I imagine the rule book says red however, but I dont really like the idea of giving red cards when its not on purpose. Which was the case both with Bissouma and here (McArthur is obviously following the ball and going for a shot).

I know what you're saying, but he's a professional footballer at the highest level of the game, if he doesn't realise there is another player between him and the ball then something has gone badly wrong in his head. The force he kicked him with it feels like a red. But the rule book seems to agree with you as both the ref and VAR ref thought a yellow was fine.

The difference between a yellow and red seems to be if you kicked someone with one foot or both feet, as this is actually very similar to Dunks red card at Palace last season. He also tried to kick the ball through a players legs in the box, but used two feet to do so, straight red.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I know what you're saying, but he's a professional footballer at the highest level of the game, if he doesn't realise there is another player between him and the ball then something has gone badly wrong in his head. The force he kicked him with it feels like a red. But the rule book seems to agree with you as both the ref and VAR ref thought a yellow was fine.

The difference between a yellow and red seems to be if you kicked someone with one foot or both feet, as this is actually very similar to Dunks red card at Palace last season. He also tried to kick the ball through a players legs in the box, but used two feet to do so, straight red.

Both feet + studs first in Dunks case. Similar but also different since its much more dangerous when someone is throwing their entire body weight against your leg rather than kicking you with the wrist.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Apart from the obvious point that's it's a red, I feel we should make the equally obvious point to say what an utter donkey he is and the just as obvious point to that, what an odious turd he is

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He should have already been on a yellow anyway

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Red card for serious foul play, but don't think it falls under endangering an opponent. It's a rap on the back of the calf basically. It's the lunging spear tackles that players really worry about as they're the ones that break bones and tear ligaments. That's going to leave a bruise on the calf muscle, but not sure I'd describe it as dangerous. Red card though, as you can't go doing that to opponents.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Bizarre.
I seem to recall Tomer getting a retrospective red card, for a fairly innocuous foul, after trial by television, against Newcastle

Did VAR even check it for a Red?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Red card for serious foul play, but don't think it falls under endangering an opponent. It's a rap on the back of the calf basically. It's the lunging spear tackles that players really worry about as they're the ones that break bones and tear ligaments. That's going to leave a bruise on the calf muscle, but not sure I'd describe it as dangerous. Red card though, as you can't go doing that to opponents.

Just to add, the player didn’t return for the second half…presumably because of the injury he suffered in that ‘tackle’

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Does that mean it’s only a yellow card offence and players get a free hit (yellow card) on any opponent regardless of where the ball is?

Sooner or later Mike Dean’s career must come to an abrupt end for making so many high profile errors.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Yeah, red. It's not a tackle and while he's clearly going for a shot it's obvious quite early Saka is going to get there but he doesn't do anything to pull out just swings full power.

However, it does make me chuckle the Arsenal fan in the tweet in the first post claiming that if that had been an Arsenal player they would have got red like there's some kind of conspiracy against little arsenal that favours all the big clubs like palace.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Different angle:

https://streamable.com/h20g3k

I stand by that it should be no more than a yellow. Tries to shoot the ball, Saka gets in in front of him. Obvious foul and yellow but no more than that.

I'm stunned that anyone who has ever played even school football can look at that and think that it was an accident. He had Saka in his eyeline and the whistle had gone. He had plenty of time to pull out. If you look at his reaction afterwards its not one of 'Oh no, I've accidentally kicked a fellow pro!', no concern, no surprise, he immediately goes into the 'What me? I've done nothing!' fakery that we've all seen on a football pitch and that is not a natural human response to an accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlOQTKUvsXU

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm stunned that anyone who has ever played even school football can look at that and think that it was an accident. He had Saka in his eyeline and the whistle had gone. He had plenty of time to pull out. If you look at his reaction afterwards its not one of 'Oh no, I've accidentally kicked a fellow pro!', no concern, no surprise, he immediately goes into the 'What me? I've done nothing!' fakery that we've all seen on a football pitch and that is not a natural human response to an accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlOQTKUvsXU

Just follow the movement of his head, he is clearly looking at the ball.

I'm with the refs on this one.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Just follow the movement of his head, he is clearly looking at the ball.

I'm with the refs on this one.

Bissouma wasn't looking at the opponent when he kicked him in the face.
That was undoubtedly a red with 0 intent.

I've watched your clip a few times
The timing of his kick, in relation to the position of the ball, doesn't look like he's shaping up a shot either.
Looks more like he's preparing to hoof it out for a throw in.

I'm not convinced this was anything other than a sly foul, which whilst not a leg breaker, ended up taking out one of Arsenal's best players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here