Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Red Kite Sightings

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I think they are all the result of a project to re-introduce Red Kites organised by the RSPB about 20 years ago not far from High Wycombe. It was only a few dozen at most to begin with and it's been an astonishing success - they've been spreading along the motorway network, feeding off the roadkill, ever since.

Must be 15 years since I first saw one of them, on the M4 near Wycombe. Nearly crashed the car because it was such a surprise - I thought they'd been extinct in England for centuries. Then about 30 seconds further down the road, there was another one, and two more 30 seconds after that. Fantastic to watch, but I'd been wondering why they hadn't made their way around the M25 and down the M23. Now it seems as though they have.
I live in Stokenchurch (J5 of the M40) and they are heavily populated around here. Believe that project probably originated here as well. Cant beat sat in the garden on a glorious summers day, beer in hand, watching the Kites gliding above.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I was on Plymouth Hoe this afternoon and although I didn't see a red kite, did see a yellow one and a green and blue one, the stiff breeze but sunny day was perfect conditions to see a kite.
Bizarre thread, but I thought I would contribute as I saw a couple of them.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Reintroduced in Buckinghamshire and East Northamptonshire a few years back.

Those two populations have now nearly joined up and we get quite a few now in North Bedfordshire.

They’re just brilliant to watch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here