Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Red Ivor told me..........

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Brown could not have made it easier for Cameron when he came out with the 'bigot' statement. The Tories should be very worried that they couldn't even get the seats they needed after that uber-gaffe.

The Tories should have worked out that the WORST thing was for her to go squaealing to the "Mail on Sunday" for monety afterwards. That just unmasked to the great downtrodden how much the media were trying to influence the result.:angry:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
That's a valid point, but there are different systems on offer. This was discussed on R5 phone-in this morning, and I would go for the ASV or whatever it's called.

In other words you select a first and then a second choice for your local MP, that way the winner always gets more than 50% of the votes cast. I think DC himself was elected the same way.

Pure PR loses the link of the people with a specific MP rep. Look at the MEP system.

That's the one that Labour wants because it would protect their massive advantage in the northern towns whilst letting them and lib dems win seats from the tories. I'd want to see a good explnation of the different refroms possible before deciding on which I would favour.

Don't really like the thought of party lists but also dont like how AV works.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really? No chance of them descending into chaos when the party splits over who should be the next leader. Battle between the deeply hated, but union backed, Ed Balls, the Blairite Ed Balls and the traditional Alan Johnson.
Handily, there is no chance of Balls being elected as leader any more. Not with a wafer thin majority of about 200.

It'll be Johnson or Milliband.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Anyway, Ken Clarke made a very good point the other day - (and I paraphrase) that if the parties can't co-operate in the current situation then you might as well forget about proportional representation.

A bit unfair that. The sticking point for the Tory/Lib Dem negotiations is the electoral system itself, take that out of the equation and they'd have probably had a deal on Friday.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Agreed.

What I find interesting is that there is this automatic perception by non-Tories that because they did not get a majority, they shouldn't be allowed to govern. Why? Does everyone else like the Labour Party really even though they did not vote for them?

I equate it to wanting English clubs to lose in the Champions League. It is more cool, tendy and right on to hate Man Utd than anything else.

Similarly, its more cool, trendy and right on to hate the Tory party than anything else.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Road v rail transport? The Tories tax-break for the rich? Etc etc etc....

From what I've seen reported, there's plenty of common ground between the parties. Given that there's not going to be complete unanimity between them, there are plenty of areas for compromise.

I don't think the two you've mentioned are the big sticking points TBH. Apart from electoral reform, I think Europe is the other problem area - but then, it nearly always is for the Tories.

I don't like the Tories or Cameron, but they won. Cameron should be PM. It's a joke that Brown hasn't stepped down already.

How did the tories win?

Most seats? Certainly
Majority? Yes
Enough of both over all other parties - NO

Its like winning a game of football by counting shots rather than goals.

From what I've seen reported, there's plenty of common ground between the parties. Given that there's not going to be complete unanimity between them, there are plenty of areas for compromise.

I don't think the two you've mentioned are the big sticking points TBH. Apart from electoral reform, I think Europe is the other problem area - but then, it nearly always is for the Tories.

I thnk that a major sticking point will be getting any prospective through the LibDem internal policy making machinery in time to be able to form an effective administartion

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
How did the tories win?

Most seats? Certainly
Majority? Yes

Yet that is precisely what Labour are doing to try and hang on to power. f*** me, they've even dropped their main goal scorer now to try an replace him with a better one!

Labour are slagging off the Conservatives for trying to form a MAJORITY government with the Lib Dems whilst at the same time trying to do exactly the same thing to form a MINORITY government.

Hoestly, I will despair of this country if we end up with yet another UNELECTED prime minister for the second time in a row, in charge of a party the voting public CLEARLY showed they didn't want.

And yeah yeah, people can spout the "you vote for a party, not a person" line all they want, but in reality we all know that's bollox.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
NO Prime Minister can be UNELECTED. Check your constitutional law.

Furthermore IF Labour and the Lib Dems form an alliance along with the fringe parties they would have a small MAJORITY so they aren't trying to form a minority government. That is an option open to the Tories only

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
NO Prime Minister can be UNELECTED. Check your constitutional law.

ironically wrong. the PM must have the confidence of the house of commons. If a Lord was to command such a confidence, they could be PM. quite common before the 1900's. it is not against the constitution for Lord Mandleson to become PM.

sleep well.

Stumpy Tim

How did the tories win?

Most seats? Certainly
Majority? Yes

It's nothing like winning a game of football by counting shots... what a shit metaphor. It's like choosing the winner of X Factor. More people voted against that dance crew (whatever they were called) than voted for them. Maybe Susan Boyle should have asked the third placed person if they wanted to join votes so they could be declared joint winners?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here