Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Red Card

teammelli

Jul 25, 2018
It was no card or a red card.

Yellow card just shows they made up their own rules for this specific incident.

Rule being, he plays for Oil FC and Engerlund so gets off with a caution.

It's often said that in bigger games officials are hesitant to dish out reds for ruining the spectacle, this is a situation where a red would have made the game very interesting.

This is the same problem as in Ronaldo’s foul in the Iran World Cup match. If the elbow is accidental, then it is no card. If it is purposeful, then it is red card. There is no role for a yellow card in this situation. Just because he didn’t connect doesn’t mean it should be a yellow.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is the same problem as in Ronaldo’s foul in the Iran World Cup match. If the elbow is accidental, then it is no card. If it is purposeful, then it is red card. There is no role for a yellow card in this situation. Just because he didn’t connect doesn’t mean it should be a yellow.

Intent = red. Absolutely no need for the recipient to be pole axed.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
They cheated Swansea out the quarter final due to no VAR and we were cheated today with VAR (I'm not saying we would have won but we were still cheated out of playing 60 odd minutes v 10 players).

I'm convinced if a City player had been barged in the penalty box like Knocky was they would have been given a penalty.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Spot on. They bottled it massively.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
100% red. Whether AJ copped for an injury or not. The intent was there.
Switch this incident around and you can be damn sure that AJ would have seen a red card!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the defining point. There was intent. It doesn't matter that in slow motion it doesn't look too bad. Similarly, the fact that AJ admirably does not go down like a sack is irrelevant. What this VAR decision seems to support is that you could throw a punch and connect it will be a red but if you miss you will only get a yellow. Today's incident just proves that VAR won't the panacea for all decisions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It was no card or a red card.

Yellow card just shows they made up their own rules for this specific incident.

Rule being, he plays for Oil FC and Engerlund so gets off with a caution.

It's often said that in bigger games officials are hesitant to dish out reds for ruining the spectacle, this is a situation where a red would have made the game very interesting.

Plus I thought the pathetic VAR person didn’t want to reduce one team to ten men so early.

The time shouldn’t come into it, but almost always hapless officials bottle it.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I would love for the FA to explain how that wasn't a red, but Duffy's one against Palace was when they were almost identical incidents

They weren't. Duffy's was a clear sending off. He went head to head with van Aanholt and pushed him over. Walker didn't do that, it wasn't violent- as he parts with AJ he slides his forehead down. It's touch and go, but to send someone off for that ? It's not violent conduct, it's handbags. AJ could have been in just as much trouble for jumping on his inner thigh. I don't feel there was an injustice here. That said, if he had been sent off I would have just put it down to modern football and its intransigence at players getting a little upset now and then.

Then again, I come from a rugby background where the the ref would have just given a finger wagging and told everyone to grow up.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
They weren't. Duffy's was a clear sending off. He went head to head with van Aanholt and pushed him over. Walker didn't do that, it wasn't violent- as he parts with AJ he slides his forehead down. It's touch and go, but to send someone off for that ? It's not violent conduct, it's handbags. AJ could have been in just as much trouble for jumping on his inner thigh. I don't feel there was an injustice here. That said, if he had been sent off I would have just put it down to modern football and its intransigence at players getting a little upset now and then.

Then again, I come from a rugby background where the the ref would have just given a finger wagging and told everyone to grow up.

It may seem soft, but according to the rules of the game it is a red card. Seen countless players sent off for flicking their heads towards an opponent's with minimal contact.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

It's not rugby. The same rules do not apply re violent conduct. Obviously.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I blame Jahanbakhsh. He should have been far more melodramatic. Football seems to be going in a pretty dark direction if theatrics and histrionics are playing an ever more decreasing role in the game. All it would have taken was an ostentatiously effeminate collapse, hand on face, and Walker would have seen red and we'd be in the final. What, exactly, are we paying him for?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Bit of a leap at the end there, no?

I was being overly despondent at the lack of campery from one of our most expensive players. Don't expect Jahanbakhsh to be be appearing on the red carpet at the Academy Awards any time soon. Shameful!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Poor decision from the officials, that was a sending off.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Rules of the game are very clear on 'head movement' towards an opponent ... dismissal no half measure its a straight red card as stated in the rule book ... so how a ref on the pitch and another in a box using different camera angles come to the conclusion its a yellow is beyond any known logic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here