Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Red Bull gives you Germany's most hated club

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Crap team, Red Bull, lots of money, rise up the Divisions, 2nd in Bundesliga, formerly communist East German team.
A tale of modern football or a successful Milton Keynes Dons.
Where do MK Franchise come into this? Leipzig haven't just taken over from a team in a different city have they?

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
RB Leipzig are hated with a passion by most fans in Germany. Think MK Dons on steroids. Their manipulation of the 50+1 rule is particularly contentious. Protests against them have been quite innovative in recent years. Everything from a silent ten minute protest at the start of a game at a Union Berlin game with all home fans donning black bin liners, to a severed cows head being hurled at the Leipzig keeper during a DFB Pokal (German FA Cup) fixture at Dynamo Dresden earlier this season! How the fans managed to smuggle a cows head past the stewards is anyone's guess? I suspect an inside job. Dynamo have copped a 40'000 euro fine plus their Ultra's block must be closed for one game in the future. Most of us here despise half & half scarves. However, when Leipzig played in Koln earlier this season, 1000's of the local ultra block holding up unofficial scarves with 'F*** RB Leipzig' was an impressive sight.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Where do MK Franchise come into this? Leipzig haven't just taken over from a team in a different city have they?

True they don't. The word 'hated' pushed me into early morning rant mode. Bl***dy Beagle we're looking after decided 3am was time to get up, 2 trips into garden, made a bed out of the curtains, howled and whined and barked and scratched. Usually good as gold.
This has left me with only irrational thoughts. NSC here I come!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Pinkie Brown has summed it up pretty well.

They have long circumvented the rules in Austria and seem to be doing similar things in Germany.

I do like how the RB Leipzig- Hoffenheim is now known as "El Plastico."

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yes. They bought a lower league team from a small town in Saxony, changed the name and shifted them to Leipzig. Pretty comparable to MK.
I assume you're joking, but if you were pulling the wool over my eyes I'd be none the wiser.

True they don't. The word 'hated' pushed me into early morning rant mode. Bl***dy Beagle we're looking after decided 3am was time to get up, 2 trips into garden, made a bed out of the curtains, howled and whined and barked and scratched. Usually good as gold.
This has left me with only irrational thoughts. NSC here I come!
Good plan, I like it.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
The Germans don't like big corporate machines ruining their game unlike here....Bayern were the closest but Leipzig are a different league when it comes to spending like the Man City's and Chelsea's of our league.

Well done those fans :)

Is this actually true? As far as I'm aware they haven't actually spent all that much money. Certainly far far less than Bayern. The objection of the fans seems mainly to be that they are a corportate club that isn't considered a 'real club'. More comparable with MK Dons than Man City really.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Woooooahh there. I'm going to have to stop you RIGHT there.

The 'RB' in 'RB Liepzig' absolutely does NOT stand for 'Red Bull'.

That would be against DFB rules.

Indeed you are officially correct sir, I have a German friend who always refers to them as Red Bull in a derogatory fashion.

I've never been chastised by a moderator before, do I have to and sit in the naughty cupboard?

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Yes. They bought a lower league team from a small town in Saxony, changed the name and shifted them to Leipzig. Pretty comparable to MK.

They moved 6.5 miles. Not much more than the distance between the Goldstone and Falmer. Markranstadt could almost be considered a suburb of Leipzig. I think the comparison with MK Dons is a bit misleading.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here