Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recruitment policy

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Without knowing anything about how this club has worked on transfer targets and players that Oscar wants for the team, I think all the signings have been David Burke's, with financial approval from Paul Barber.

If you look at the end of Oscar's interview yesterday, it seems he is brassed off by the question about strengthining the squad, and says ask the club about it! Which suggests to me he still won't have a say on players coming and going from this club, even if he wanted to.

I'm getting a case of the same scenario happening this season end with another manager on his way because of the lack of control of the makeup of the team.

Another boring summer of being an Albion fan then? :angel:

With so many players coming out of contract, it won't be boring... it could be frustrating and depressing, but it won't be boring!!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If the Garcia rumours have any foundation, it seems to me recruitment policy is at the heart of it and is a major issue, probably the issue, at the club.

Now I am not devastated if Garcia moves on, and I don't think he has done/proved enough to be throwing his weight around at this point in time. The strikes for him are getting in the play-offs (albeit luckily and not very impressively), overseeing the club regrouping post-Poyet, and coping with crippling injuries to a host of key players right up to the play-off semi-final itself. The strikes against him are often dull and unadventurous football, and dropping a lot of points against inferior teams, and unspectacular recruitment. I'd certainly have given him another season, but if he doesn't want to be here then fine, we'll get somebody decent to replace him.

But it is on this last point of recruitment where there is a lot of uncertainty, and it may not be all his fault.

How much freedom has Garcia been given on transfers? Has he been able to sign any of the players he wanted? How many of his suggested signings have been rejected? The players we did bring in, were they his signings? How involved are Burke and Barber/Bloom on coming up with the initial list of targets? Does it work having a manager with little or no say in signing players they are then responsible for the results from, if indeed that is happening? Is the squad balanced as it stands?

This stuff might not be sexy, but it is really important.

Successive managers, both decent coaches, have now either said, or clearly implied, that they are not happy with this aspect of the club and that they are not being given the tools to do the job. You may or may not believe them. And the club would no doubt counter those claims, but then they would, wouldn't they. They are the ones under scrutiny.

Have you even thought that the problem may be that the players that Garcia wants are too costly in terms of wages and fees? We are losing money so maybe its right that we don't risk our long term future by spending money we just can't afford, even if it makes the manager / coach unhappy

It may be a case of the budget being too small rather than the players Burke has been looking at as alternatives? - It could be that FFP or even that the Board and/or Bloom doesn't want to fund a large loss each season and this means that we can't just buy whoever the manager / coach wants and they have to look at more affordable options instead?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
[/B][/U]its strange how a club like Burnley can manage their finances and look as though they have stayed within FFP and sail into the premiership with out any problems with a much smaller fan base than us and even buy one of our players who we never replaced adequately. no sorry something is inherently wrong.
and now is the time to get it sorted

Parachute payments from the Premier League (this was their last season getting those) and the sale of Charlie Austin will have helped.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I still cannot get my head around the fact we have had now, two managers who have played at the highest level and they are told they can choose from players identified by a person who played for who?

So were you complaining when we got upson, ward, ulloa, lingaard and Conway in as these were signed under the same process??

Gus did not leave because of player recruitment he wanted out to the premier and the ceiling comment was him detracting from his own agenda.

As for Oscar I am sure he (as well as the recruitment team) were disappointed in January which to be fair has never been a window to do good business in as getting quality players to leave teams mid season attracts a premium

If Oscar is so short sighted he is not prepared to work with the club this summer on rebuilding and launching the training facilities then he can go in my opinion

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
So were you complaining when we got upson, ward, ulloa, lingaard and Conway in as these were signed under the same process??

Gus did not leave because of player recruitment he wanted out to the premier and the ceiling comment was him detracting from his own agenda.

As for Oscar I am sure he (as well as the recruitment team) were disappointed in January which to be fair has never been a window to do good business in as getting quality players to leave teams mid season attracts a premium

If Oscar is so short sighted he is not prepared to work with the club this summer on rebuilding and launching the training facilities then he can go in my opinion

I notice you left out Lita, Obika Rodrigeuz the players he signed during Oscars first window. And I will ask again which club did Burke play for and at what level?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I notice you left out Lita, Obika Rodrigeuz the players he alsoy signed during Oscars first window. And I will ask again which club did Burke play for and at what level?

Name me a club who has never signed a bad player? And what has playing at a level got to do with anything some of the top managers in the world have never played at the top level are you saying these are not capable of signing top players?

Do you know burkes credentials in scouting? Have you worked with him and his team? Did gus ever say he was not happy with the setup of recruitment as I remember it being mainly about budget?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have you even thought that the problem may be that the players that Garcia wants are too costly in terms of wages and fees? We are losing money so maybe its right that we don't risk our long term future by spending money we just can't afford, even if it makes the manager / coach unhappy

It may be a case of the budget being too small rather than the players Burke has been looking at as alternatives? - It could be that FFP or even that the Board and/or Bloom doesn't want to fund a large loss each season and this means that we can't just buy whoever the manager / coach wants and they have to look at more affordable options instead?

Burnley spent the grand total of £450K in 18 months on Ashley Barnes.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
I can accept that all clubs make signings that don't work out. That's life.

What I find strange is that in the last two years we've made several big signings (particularly re wages if rumours are to be believed) in Harley, Dobbie, Agustien and Rodriguez who have all been frozen out of the squad within months of joining.

This is most unusual and would suggest something is a bit amiss in terms of identifying the type of characters we want, and matching aspirations of the players with the reality of the club's approach.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
We've picked two flair managers who were also flair players in their day and played at the very highest level. Both might want to try and bring through a few youngsters and see them progress to the top flight to showcase their management credentials but I am sure they struggle with a squad of relatively average ability which struggles to play the way they want it to. That's not meant to unnecessarily criticise the team but I doubt I am alone in thinking the skill levels are not that great or that we have brought in players who on paper should be good but are not showing it. Perhaps we ought to pick a manager who is used to dealing with such players and can get the absolute best from them all as at the moment it feels quite a few players just are not reaching their ability, let alone exceeding it. Burnley's manager would fit this criteria, as would Malky Mackay and if there is a change I hope we go down this route rather than another untested but pretty well known name.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I will ask again which club did Burke play for and at what level?

Why on earth does that matter?

Would you rather have an experienced top level player, like Dean Windass or Jimmy Bullard, over an experienced scout?

Bad signings happen, that's part of the game, but we've had some corkers as well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If the Garcia rumours have any foundation, it seems to me recruitment policy is at the heart of it and is a major issue, probably the issue, at the club.

But it is on this last point of recruitment where there is a lot of uncertainty, and it may not be all his fault.

How much freedom has Garcia been given on transfers? Has he been able to sign any of the players he wanted? How many of his suggested signings have been rejected? The players we did bring in, were they his signings? How involved are Burke and Barber/Bloom on coming up with the initial list of targets? Does it work having a manager with little or no say in signing players they are then responsible for the results from, if indeed that is happening?

Successive managers, both decent coaches, have now either said, or clearly implied, that they are not happy with this aspect of the club and that they are not being given the tools to do the job. .

This is a very easy conclusion to draw, but its nothing more than guesswork.

As I understand it, your guesswork is very wide of the mark, and actually pretty much the opposite of the truth.

Oscar hates transfer business, and actually resents the amount of involvement he IS expected to have in his role here.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I don't suppose you'd care to expand on that?

With that statement, it would imply you know exactly how the structure operates, and where the problems lie. With that in mind, could you let us know exactly what the problems are, and how removing David Burke would remedy the situation?

It's all NATHAN JONES' fault. Cos he's little and Welsh.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
It's all NATHAN JONES' fault. Cos he's little and Welsh.

Very true! Easy to forget sometimes that he picks the team, defines the transfer policy and sets up the tactical/training approach.

Obviously this is all true because he sometimes does interviews.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

As I understand it, your guesswork is very wide of the mark, and actually pretty much the opposite of the truth.

Oscar hates transfer business, and actually resents the amount of involvement he IS expected to have in his role here.

That is exactly what I have also heard and that the information given to the scouting team about the type of player he wants is at best mixed and rather vague.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London

That may or may not be the case. I've heard he's been unhappy with the lack of transfer activity since January. Hence his public comments like " we're the only club who are weaker since the window closed" etc.

This has been brewing for a while.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

So...the recruitment policy, and who does what, is bang in play. Which is what I said in the first place. If you actually read posts, rather than print your own already formed opinions, you will recall that mostly I was asking questions.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Burnley spent the grand total of £450K in 18 months on Ashley Barnes.

Although all this shows is that they already had a competitive squad last year and had been laying the correct foundations in advance.

At the moment we do not have much to even take into next season, which wouldn't be so bad if Oscar was confident of a major overhaul in the summer.

I think Oscar was the right manager at the wrong time as he needs a full strength squad to work with, not struggle with a patch up job. There is not much point being a great mechanic if you are only armed with a knife and fork even if you are promised a spoon in the summer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So...the recruitment policy, and who does what, is bang in play. Which is what I said in the first place. If you actually read posts, rather than print your own already formed opinions, you will recall that mostly I was asking questions.

Actually, my reading is fairly good. This is what you wrote:

How much freedom has Garcia been given on transfers? Has he been able to sign any of the players he wanted? How many of his suggested signings have been rejected? The players we did bring in, were they his signings? How involved are Burke and Barber/Bloom on coming up with the initial list of targets? Does it work having a manager with little or no say in signing players they are then responsible for the results from, if indeed that is happening? Is the squad balanced as it stands?

Use as many question marks as you like, but we all know exactly what you were suggesting. Which is fair enough - its what many people are assuming is the issue.

My understanding is that its wrong.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
You clearly haven't got a clue what I was suggesting! A lot of these are unknowns. There are a lot more questions than that you could ask.

An old grammar trick from primary school - a question mark denotes a question. Not an answer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here