[Travel] Recommendations for Florence and Pisa

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Afternoon all,

This summer my other half and I are heading to Pisa and Florence. Due to health reasons we will be staying within those cities only and not venturing to the wider area. We're planning on seeing the Leaning Tower, Uffizi Gallery and the Basilica of Santa Maria del Fiore, but wondered if there was anywhere else within the two cities that people would recommend?

Also, any places that you'd recommend to eat would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Z

P.s. Apologies in advance - I have a vague memory that I might have asked this before but couldn't see it in my thread/post list!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Just remember that when you visit the Leaning Tower it is obligatory to take a photo of a held-up finger "pushing" the tower over. 94% of your Facebook friends will find this 'hilarious'.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Afternoon all,

This summer my other half and I are heading to Pisa and Florence. Due to health reasons we will be staying within those cities only and not venturing to the wider area. We're planning on seeing the Leaning Tower, Uffizi Gallery and the Basilica of Santa Maria del Fiore, but wondered if there was anywhere else within the two cities that people would recommend?

Also, any places that you'd recommend to eat would be gratefully received!

Thanks,

Z

P.s. Apologies in advance - I have a vague memory that I might have asked this before but couldn't see it in my thread/post list!
Florence is beautiful - not been for many years though, so can't help with recommendations.

But we travelled home from Roma, via a train to Pisa, so that is fresher in the memory...

You can:

1. Take a picture of Galileo with his football.
IMG_4430.JPG

2. Buy some knock off, classic Italian football shirts
IMG_4441.JPG

And visit Pisa SC's *iconic* Arena Garibaldi...
IMG_4445.JPG
IMG_4444.JPG

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Went to Florence last year. Loved it. The Uffizi gallery is well worth a visit, and I would also see Michelangelo's David at another gallery which I forget the name.

For lunchtime food Mercato centrale was a good indoor market, lots of different options. I had a great dinner at a place called Trattoria Antico Fattore, very popular so will need to book. I remember there being nice cafes and bars around Piazza Di Santa Croce, where there is also another impressive cathedral to see, and also a great gelato place there called Vivoli.

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
There are lots of good retauants in Florence. Would recommend: Trattoria Antico Fattore, Trattoria Giovanni, Osteria Cinghiale Bianco, Osteria Del Pavone, Buca Poldo, Trattoria de' Guicciardini da i Bigi e i Birghe.

You could spend two weeks in Florence and not see everything as the city is one big museum. Its worth looking at "The Firenze Card" website to choose what interests you the most, even if you don't decide to buy the card.. The website has links descibing each museum/gallery.

You can see the main sites in Pisa in about an hour when travelling between Pisa Airport and Florence. Personally I would skip Pisa and get a direct Vuelling flight from Gatwick to Florence Airport. It's a short and cheap tram ride from Florence Airport to the city centre.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I know the likes of @edna krabappel, @Superphil and @Hotchilidog spent some time in Florence as part of the Roma away trip.

And @Stat Brother flew into and out of Pisa, I think.
Yes indeed. We went to Florence on the way back from Rome and loved it. We basically just loafed around for a day or so as the attractions all needed to be booked and we could not be bothered. As a result we had a great time walking around the centre (headed out to Fiorentina's ground) and just stopping for food and drink as and when we liked. I liked the Ponte Vecchio but we went at night when it was pouring with rain and it really gave it a nice atmosphere with very few people around.

I'd recommend booking the attractions before hand and you'll have a great time.

I've also been to Pisa, I loved the Piazza Di Miracoli the home of the leaning tower but I was not too enamoured with the rest of it. I definitely want to head back to Florence.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
When in Pisa the focus is naturally on the tower, BUT in the Piazza di Miracoli (Square of Miracles) you need to check out the cathedral and baptistry - they too lean, but all three buildings lean in different directions!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
A few years back we did an Italian 3 city tour holiday including Rome, Venice and Florence. Of the three I much preferred Florence. It just has a real classic charm about it and great for just strolling around and exploring. It takes about 463 steps to climb to the top of the Duomo Florence dome, and it can take around 30-45 minutes, depending on your pace. I now struggle waking up the steps to my WSU seat!

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
A few years back we did an Italian 3 city tour holiday including Rome, Venice and Florence. Of the three I much preferred Florence. It just has a real classic charm about it and great for just strolling around and exploring. It takes about 463 steps to climb to the top of the Duomo Florence dome, and it can take around 30-45 minutes, depending on your pace. I now struggle waking up the steps to my WSU seat!
I take it you didn't walk up to San Miniato al Monte for a view of Florence!

Last edited by a moderator:

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Pisa is a lovely little city. We were there 5 years ago at this time before heading to Florence on the train. Take a walk around the city walls in Pisa for great views of the tower. In Florence we loved the central food market, great lunch spot.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
And @Stat Brother flew into and out of Pisa, I think.

Is that how the tower ended up leaning that much? If people are flying in & out of it some of the planes are bound to clip it and knock it off kilter a bit each time. After many years it's bound to lean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports