Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommend me a decent book

matildaseagull

Aug 12, 2003
Good Old Sussex
Just to let you know, I've finished a John Lanchester, and now seriously into The Book Thief. Thanks for all the recommendations!!

PS It's bloody hot here!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
'The 100 year old Man who Climbed out of the Window' is a bit different, don't let the title put you off, it is an amusing journey.

I got addicted to the Jo Nesbo and Steig Larsson books which knock dear old Peter James into a cocked hat. His last effort was a bit better but he still can't resist going all 'transatlantic' these days.

Good news, there is a new Jo Nesbo book due out next month.

I am just starting the 3rd of Jussi Adler Olsson's books, the plots aren't quite as extreme as Nesbo or Larsson, but not bad and the central character, a dysfunctional detective in charge of a cold case team is ok.

Finally I fancy reading 'I am Pilgrim' a thriller by Terry Hayes - is it any good?

genuine albion

Aug 7, 2012
Holiday reads: Papillion, Cloud Atlas, Azincourt, The Godfather
Also recommend anything by John Wyndham, Kurt Vonnegut, John Steinbeck.
Best book ever: The grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The Follow and when good men do nothing,both by Paul grezegorzek,local boy and both very good reads

Interesting. I used to work with him.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've just read Tyler Hamilton's book (ex team-mate of Lance Armstrong). Fascinating account of his cycling career. And considerably more honest than Armstrong's. Even if it does make you realise just how easy it is for professional sportsmen to get into drugs. It also helps explain why so many who get caught keep lying about it, rather than just admitting the truth.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I have just finished The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, as recommended on another book thread, and a very good read it was too. Finished in a day, as not too long, so ideal to lift the post-BHA loss mood :)

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
If you like detective books James Oswalds Natural Causes is pretty good, my favourite book of all time Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

sant andreu

Dec 18, 2011
Have you read any Iain Banks?

I can't get enough of his novels at the moment. Espedair Street is an absolute classic. It's very easy reading, very entertaining and I also found it quite touching in places. It might help that I'm a big Fleetwood Mac fan and the band in the book bears a striking resemblance to the Mac, but I don't think you need be a Mac fan to enjoy it.

Another chap who has impressed me in recent months is John Niven. His first book, Kill your Friends, is being made into a movie now, I believe. And it's a cracking read. Again, very easy to digest, so ideal for a holiday. Although it does get a bit graphic in places, so if you're squeamish you'll perhaps not like it. It's a bit like American Psycho with Simon Cowell instead of Patrick Bateman.

He followed it up with a solid enough thriller, Cold Hands, and a jocular story about Jesus' second coming, his exploits on a TV talent contest and the resulting mayhem that ensued. I thought it was jolly good fun

Iain Banks also wrote under the name Iain M. Banks. This was his science fiction series and they really are a great read; amazingly imaginative, and easy to read relatively quickly but in no way whatsoever simplistic!! Totally recommend them!

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. Great book!

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Love a bit of John Irving and Paul Auster myself but agree that Stieg Larsson books are crackers. Might give Jo Nesbo a try after reading this thread. Where should one start?

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Confederation of Dunces and Shantaram. Two if my all time favs reading Great Gatsby at the mo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here