Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommend a whiskey

centurion40

Sep 8, 2012
JD is ok.
Jim Beam is ok.
Both a bit meh though in honesty.

Had a nice woody/barky whiskey in the Robin Hood once but can't remember for the life of me what it was called.

Any recommendations? Note - this is to be drunk neat or on ice not wasted on a mixer.

Have to say both jim beam and jack daniels are horrible American bourbon's, if you want a really nice scotch treat yourself to a bottle of Glenfidditch or Glenmorangie they're both lovely malt whisky's, if you cant' stretch to them and want a nice blended whisky I like Famous Grouse or Bells, the one you mentioned could have been Laphroaig which has quite a peaty smokey tatse to it.................bloody hell I'm gonna have to have a scotch now when I get home.
And don't put anything with it, not even ice.:cheers:

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
If you are going to Edinburgh, take yourself to Cadenhead's shop in Cannongate (bottom of the Royal Mile), I guarantee you there is no better Whisky shop in Edinburgh, possibly Scotland or the world (I don't make idle claims). You'll need to establish your credentials with them, tell them your experience, and then have some tastes of what they suggest. It's impossible to explain what it's all about, you need to go there. Beware though, we've come out of there on more than one occasion, somewhat bawsed, and considerably poorer.

Absolutely, entirely this.

Superb shop - when I used to work on the Royal Mile I used to nip in there on my lunch break (usually for stocking up rather than sampling, though I did succumb to temptation once or twice).

For all the incredible bottles they have in the place (including a bottle of Springbank worth 50 grand, as I recall), I always go for their own blends from the casks behind the counter. They're like no other blends you've ever had - they select the best single malts from the various regions (Highland, Lowland, Speyside, Islay, Campbeltown) and use them to top up the respective casks. So each blend is subtly different every time, and they'll be happy to tell you how it's tasting just now, and indeed to let you find out for yourself.

They all tend to come in around the 55-60% mark, and all work out at a bit over 40 quid a bottle - great value given the quality.

Oh, and the cask of Guyanese rum - usually nearer 65% or more - is a dangerous but highly beautiful thing. Smoothest rum I've ever had, despite the strength. A word of warning - be careful when using it as the basis for an afternoon drinking game in the Hebrides. It can make tasks such as standing, speaking and negotiating cattle grids almost impossible.

If you don't want to trek to Edinburgh for your booze shopping, my current supermarket favourite is the Laphroaig Quarter Cask, which Tesco had on offer for £26.50 last time I was in. I find regular Laphroaig a bit too harsh and mouthwashy, but this is much darker and smoother, but with the unmistakeable Laphroaig peatiness. It's a top drop.

Hmm...3.20pm...bit early for a whisky, but this thread has got me in the mood now...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I always have a Middleton Rare on the go for special moments..... But Glenmorangie Quinta Urban at £35 ish is a good standard,............ However Green Ore is a very moreish Irish tipple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here