Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Recommend a mid range road bicycle??

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Has anyone any views on a decent mid range road bicycle (£500-£700?). I have a MTB but fancy a road bike for a bit of a change.

I'm a bit pissed now as I am just back from Ipswich but bounce this tomorrow and I will give you the benefit of my knowledge. However, do you mean a racer or a flat bar hybrid?

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Racer. I have a cheap flat bar for commuting etc. I normally end up looking at the Halfords specials but don't know what else in that sort of price range may be worth trying

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
As shit as halfords is the chris boardman range they stock is decent and shouldn't be overlooked

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
October is when they start discounting bikes to make room for the next year models isn't it? Evans (in store and online) must be worth checking out if so? I've only ever bought MTBs rather than roadies, but always from Evans around this time of year and usually got £1000+ bikes for £700ish...

Last edited:

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
Also don't overlook the Scott Speedster range:
S30 £759.99 2011
S50 £749.99 2012
S40 £674.99 2011
All prices are from Evans however i am sure you may be able to get a decent price from an independent.

the range is well build and pretty well spec'd. We deal scott at our shop and they are pretty tidy too, last years range on selected models allowed for propper mudguards to be fitted rather than splashguards and given we are heading into winter this could be something to look at.

Alternatively there is the Trek 1.? range prices start at £550 and go up to £900. These are last years models and the prices are through my shops main competitors but gives you an idea as to the prices from an independent.

Good luck finding the bike for you though

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
I know the RRP is a little higher (Wiggle has them for 1k I think), but I can heartily recommend the Focus Cayo. I picked up a secondhand one a while back for your kind of budget and it's a great bike - fast, responsive, pretty comfy etc. And the kind of bike that you won't need to upgrade (well, I wouldn't look to upgrade anyway - would have to dig quite deep to get anything better imho). Unfortunately for me I sold it to my old man to raise some cash earlier this year - so I have to hear him raving about it now!

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
Just spent a lot of time research this for my new bike. The giant defy 2 at £700 gets great reviews with a good frame and mid range components and the trek 1.5 is good for about the same price. I was going to buy the Giant but changed my mind in the end for the felt f85 due to great reviews and groupset. You will usually find the components are what differs between the bikes. Most seasoned road cyclists will say nothing under Shimano 105 groupset but Tiagra are a pretty good range.SRAM also are good value.

Brighton has loads of great bike shops including Rayment cycles, Baker street bikes and Syds bikes although they usually will only stock one or two types and will push these models. As you know try before you buy, find what feels right and take your time. If your a cash buyer you will be able to get great discounts at the moment with new models coming out. Good luck and happy cycling

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Just spent a lot of time research this for my new bike. The giant defy 2 at £700 gets great reviews with a good frame and mid range components and the trek 1.5 is good for about the same price. I was going to buy the Giant but changed my mind in the end for the felt f85 due to great reviews and groupset. You will usually find the components are what differs between the bikes. Most seasoned road cyclists will say nothing under Shimano 105 groupset but Tiagra are a pretty good range.SRAM also are good value.

Brighton has loads of great bike shops including Rayment cycles, Baker street bikes and Syds bikes although they usually will only stock one or two types and will push these models. As you know try before you buy, find what feels right and take your time. If your a cash buyer you will be able to get great discounts at the moment with new models coming out. Good luck and happy cycling

like the look of felt. where did you pick yours up from.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
as you can see you're not short of choice.
Your price bracket is the exact starting point for ALL road bikes.

Now is currently sale time, bringing the next 'level' into your range too.

Try as many as you can and buy the one that's most comfy, although most bikes are similar (many are made in the same factory) there will be different variables, to the point that after trying 3-4 you'll have a fairly good idea as to what fits.

Check the search on here, we've done this a lot recently.

TotallyFreaked

Jul 2, 2011
like the look of felt. where did you pick yours up from.

Brought mail order from Cyclelane in Scotland as it was on offer and feel confident about the whole bike setup/service. Think Southwaterbikes is the closet shop stocking Felts around Brighton area.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Agree with this. My team hybrid was £700 in sale last year and it's like riding in a Rolls Royce compared to my 15 yr old Raleigh (= Ford Focus)
When I bought it many were saying it was the best bike under a grand available.

As shit as halfords is the chris boardman range they stock is decent and shouldn't be overlooked

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Most seasoned road cyclists will say nothing under Shimano 105 groupset but Tiagra are a pretty good range.SRAM also are good value.
If it's not Campagnolo it can fook off!

Just back from an 86 mile sportive round the lesser half of Sussex.
Although you East Sussexers do have marginally smoother roads.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here