Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reasons why the Champions League is bollocks...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1. Most of the teams in it are not even champions.

2. 3rd place failures drop into the latter stages of the UEFA Cup.

3. The media and Man U cream themselves cos so-and-so has just equalled Denis Laws/Bobby Charltons/George Bests (delete as applicable) European scoring record, even though it means feck-all cos nowadays you've been guaranteed about 6-12 games per season at least cos of the League format, instead of the old 2-legs knockout format. And half the teams are shite anyway.

4. That f***ing MUSIC. "The Champyaaaaaaaaans"

5. Those poncy star decorations they paste up everywhere in the stadiums.

6. Those twats who have to shake the giant centre-circle starry flag thing like a bunch of mentalists when "The Anthem" is playing.

7. That bloody vulture. WTF ??

8. Real Madrid, the self-elected "Kings of Europe", pulling in a mighty 25,000 for their home game last night v Porto.

9. All stadiums leaving the front 4 or 5 row of seats empty, so fans can't drape their flags across the precious sponsors pitchside advertising hoardings.

10. Andy Townsend and Ally "Cheeky" McCoist.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Easy 10 said:
3. The media and Man U cream themselves cos so-and-so has just equalled Denis Laws/Bobby Charltons/George Bests (delete as applicable) European scoring record, even though it means feck-all cos nowadays you've been guaranteed about 6-12 games per season at least cos of the League format, instead of the old 2-legs knockout format. And half the teams are shite anyway.

Absolutely. Really annoys me, them trying to pretend it's as good an achievement.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
i agree with you, however the knock out stage is quite good esp seeing arsenal distroyed.
the group stage is poor and boring

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Sorry to disagree, I think its fanscinating. I thought Chelsea were excellent last night and I'm looking forward to seeing if Henry will be able to score tonight, against an 11 man Russian defence.

Very good points Easy. The other main problem is that so many of the games are just dull, dull, dull. I'd imagine the knockour stage will be better. You get the odd really good one like Man U v Real Madrid last year and Inter v Arsenal this year, but normally real paint drying stuff. And Man U's fluke against bayern aside when was the last time anyone was able to stay awake all the way through the final.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
UEFAs attempts at a European superleague by the back door.

Although how the Latvian or Irish champions could be considered Super is anyones guess.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
agree with you easy

unfortuantely , some quality games of football take place in the cl.

still hate it though

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
No Easy, it's superb for the simple reason that a team isn't knocked out by 1 bad performance.Which is wrong.you know now that the best team in Europe really is the best team in Europe over a longer period.Unless they're Italian which means they are the best at ruining an entertaining game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Brixtaan said:
No Easy, it's superb for the simple reason that a team isn't knocked out by 1 bad performance.
I think the opposite. Its the fact that a team CAN be knocked out by one bad performance that makes cup competitions (like the FA Cup) that much more exciting. Theres far more of an edge to the game. If Liverpool cock it up at Yeovil, thats it, they're out.

Man U slipped up in Stuttgart, but we all knew it meant naff-all in the great scheme of things cos they'd still got another 5 games to put it right. Where's the fun in that ?

Wake me up when the knockout stages start, cos the League part really is absolute pants.

mk_bha

Jul 14, 2003
i cant understand ppl who slag off the CH LG. What about the 2nd bloody division pal - its sh1t ! 100 throw-ins and goal kicks every game.

I like to watch the best football the planet has to offer.

wake up son.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
mk_bha said:
i cant understand ppl who slag off the CH LG. What about the 2nd bloody division pal - its sh1t ! 100 throw-ins and goal kicks every game.

I like to watch the best football the planet has to offer.

wake up son.
Give me 2nd division football any day rather than the synthetic, contrived, bloated, over-hyped, over-rated sponsor-driven Champions League. The football may not be as good quality-wise, but at least I can care passionately about the team I am watching.

What would you rather, a night in front of the telly watching Man U drill 5 past a bunch of greeks, or a wet and windy night at Withdean watching the Albion slide about in the mud and scrape a 1-0 win against Port Vale ?

Theres simply no competition.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Easy 10 said:
I think the opposite. Its the fact that a team CAN be knocked out by one bad performance that makes cup competitions (like the FA Cup) that much more exciting. Theres far more of an edge to the game. If Liverpool cock it up at Yeovil, thats it, they're out.

Man U slipped up in Stuttgart, but we all knew it meant naff-all in the great scheme of things cos they'd still got another 5 games to put it right. Where's the fun in that ?

Wake me up when the knockout stages start, cos the League part really is absolute pants.

I agree! Having the league part completely ruins the excitement of the competition. It also allows teams to almost choose who qualifies with them by feilding under strength teams in the latter games - take the Milan result last night which meant Celta Vigo qualified!

One off games are much better

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Easy 10 said:
Give me 2nd division football any day rather than the synthetic, contrived, bloated, over-hyped, over-rated sponsor-driven Champions League. The football may not be as good quality-wise, but at least I can care passionately about the team I am watching.

What would you rather, a night in front of the telly watching Man U drill 5 past a bunch of greeks, or a wet and windy night at Withdean watching the Albion slide about in the mud and scrape a 1-0 win against Port Vale ?

Theres simply no competition.

You cant compare the 2. For instance I wouldn't go and watch Port Vale unless any other team than Brighton were playing them even if it was at the bottom of my garden but I would watch pay good money to watch Premiership or Champions league football. However if you asked me if I'd prefer watching Brighton or Real Madrid I'd prefer the Albion.

I personally think the Champions league is excellent and I prefer watching it to the Premiership. There have been some cracking games over the Years, Man U V Juventus, Leeds V Deportivo, Basle V Liverpool last year was excellent not to mention Bayern V Man u in the final - even I was out of seat. Where I would agree it does get boring is if 2 teams from the same league play each other, especially the Italians and the dead rubbers in Group games 5 and 6 when teams have qualified. That said they have dispensed with the 2nd group stage this year which should lead to more entertaining cup tie games.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Of course there are sometimes some great games in the Champions League. Its football after all, and its still a damn sight better than watching Coronation Street. And I won't pretend I don't watch it, cos I do.

But I still think its bollocks, and I still stand by each of the 10 points I made at the top of this thread.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
I'm with you on this one Easy. IMHO, most of the Man U home games in the league stages of the CL in the last few years have been like watching paint dry only with excruciatingly sycophantic "commentary" from Toady Tyldesdley, the world's biggest Man U fan. The Liverpool games were even worse. I only really go out of my way to watch these games if they are in the knockout stage. Getting rid of the 2nd League stage is a big step forward. That really was taking the piss.

Having said all that I enjoyed the Rangers game last night, or at least the last 20 mins which is all I saw. There were about 1000 Panathinaikos fans there. I swear when the final whistle went there were more Greek fans there than there were Rangers fans. What marvellously "loyal" fans they really are.

Danny Seagull's Mate

Babe of the Year 2003
Sep 28, 2003
Woodingdean
There are league stages for the pure reason that the teams are playing the the Champions LEAGUE.

It is a good way to get the best teams in europe head to head. It makes for entertaining football.

Chelsea were fantastic last night and as the competition progresses, it will get much more exciting.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I fekkin hate the C L . . . .its supposed to be a cup competition, not a TV/sponsorship bla bla bla bollocks string it out mini league for perfumed ponces.

the FA cup has always been and always will be the best cup competition in the world.

Man Utd shouldnt be allowed to play in it as theyre 'too big' :angry:

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I haven't watched a match for ages now - the whole competition is contrived to be advantageous towards the 'big' teams in Europe. Hence the qualifying rounds to eliminate all the minnows that perpetuates the rich club-poor club divide in Europe. The only time I was vaguely excited about it was when Dynamo Kiev almost reached the final a few years back, you could here the sighs of relief from all the fat cat sponors when Bayern Munich just pipped them having threatened to turn the final into marketers nightmare.

Give me the FA Cup any day.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The most annoying thing about the CL is their music they insist on playing before every game, so the players have to line up like it's a national anthem or something.

Self important marketing men.

You also forgot Ron Twatkinson in the list of irritations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here