Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reasons why Sami needs an assistant.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
At the fans forum last week, Sami said he wanted a no 2 that he knew and could trust to be honest with him. He's not just going to take any old player/coach that he doesn't know. He said he would rather leave it until he found what he wanted. It's his choice, after all.
If he said that then he's completely changed his mind or been told its jones regardless!!!
He stated he wanted an experienced no 2 to learn from,that was as clear as day pal.

Anyway we'll see...but you can bet your left nut the welsh weasel will get it :(

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If he said that then he's completely changed his mind or been told its jones regardless!!!
He stated he wanted an experienced no 2 to learn from,that was as clear as day pal.

Anyway we'll see...but you can bet your left nut the welsh weasel will get it :(

If Jonah was going to get it, I think he would have got it by now.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
True, but isn't it a bit odd that on your first match for a new club, at home, in front of a pretty decent sized crowd, you don't acknowledge the supporters at all?

Personally, I'm not worried about the result too much. I'd like to think an assistant would have contributed with the old "Er, boss, we're losing... Are you sure Kemy is the right call here?"

Perhaps from the level of noise that we generated he didn't realise we were there?

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I could not care less if a manager clapped me or not....
I just wished I could see a performance from the team that made ME want to clap them (win or lose)....

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Like a Tony Pulis you mean, he demonstrates that all those attributes can polish a turd.

Is this the same bloke that was many people's manager of the season last season ? I do agree with the OP, Hyppia looked barely alive on Saturday. Even Garcia had the strength to stand up for the game and look as though he had an interest in it

Mannie

Jun 4, 2014
Brighton
Hyypia stated he needs an experienced no 2 to learn from,he currently has a skinny inexperienced no 2 as his mentor,funny how we've heard nothing whats so ever about the assistant mangers role since fatty lee turned us down.

An experienced no 2 is so important,sadly the cheap option will always be taken :(

OK are you saying that we have employed a manager who doesn't know what to do - so he needs an experienced deputy to tell him?????!!!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
OK are you saying that we have employed a manager who doesn't know what to do - so he needs an experienced deputy to tell him?????!!!
Well hyypia is inexperienced and he stated a while back he wants an assistant that he can learn from...Yes possibily he doesn't but time will tell.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Is this the same bloke that was many people's manager of the season last season ? I do agree with the OP, Hyppia looked barely alive on Saturday. Even Garcia had the strength to stand up for the game and look as though he had an interest in it

That's the one. He rants and raves at players when they do wrong and equally the officials. He runs up and down the touch line showing passion and gets the most out of average players. He is one thing I do envy Palace fans having, a manager who has passion and can really motivate.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Why do people think that all football managers need to be arm waving, mouthy individuals who need to acknowledge our existence by clapping us . I am only bothered whether the team perform and get results. I am not so insecure I need to be applauded for turning up to watch my team play.

Well l don't exactly feel the need to be applauded as a fan either, but on the other hand l would like to see a little bit more animation from a manager. From a players point of view l think l would like to see my manager standing there at the edge of the technical area, or at least in a visible position urging the team on, especially when you are losing a game and things aren't going too well.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That's the one. He rants and raves at players when they do wrong and equally the officials. He runs up and down the touch line showing passion and gets the most out of average players. He is one thing I do envy Palace fans having, a manager who has passion and can really motivate.

Sorry, I agree. I thought you were taking the p

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Or Paulo de Canio ? There is no stereotypical behaviour for a football manager to be successful.

I think the art of motivation of the players is really the attribute I admire most of Pulis, he clearly has that ability which he demonstrated by keeping Palace up last year.
Whether Sami has this is to early to judge but I do think it was lacking in Oscar but was a real part of the Gus management style. Which he used to deflate the players in the Palace match in my view.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
An assistant could read NSC and take the expert advice offered.

He might also see things slightly differently to Sami and perhaps after discussion be correct and Sami missed it, although Sami played for Liverpool and probably walked on water he is human.

I think the art of motivation of the players is really the attribute I admire most of Pulis, he clearly has that ability which he demonstrated by keeping Palace up last year.
Whether Sami has this is to early to judge but I do think it was lacking in Oscar but was a real part of the Gus management style. Which he used to deflate the players in the Palace match in my view.

I see the issue of strong player motivation and being animated on the touchline as two different things - perhaps you don't.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
An assistant could read NSC and take the expert advice offered.

He might also see things slightly differently to Sami and perhaps after discussion be correct and Sami missed it, although Sami played for Liverpool and probably walked on water he is human.

I'm sorry but l as much as l enjoy reading the threads and making more than the occasional post on NSC, I really don't think that any assistant would ever take too much notice of what is said on here. Indeed when talking to Charlie Oatway two or three seasons back, he said he and the management were positively scathing of it.

And yes Sami walked on water at Liverpool, but that was as a player. It's been proved time and time again, that however good you are as a player, it doesn't always make you a good manager.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I see the issue of strong player motivation and being animated on the touchline as two different things - perhaps you don't.

I think it goes hand in hand, showing passion by the manager can in my view spur the players on. Where as sitting the whole game on the bench without at least wandering into the technical area can in my view have the reverse effect.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here