Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reason for CMS dip in form?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
True, but I don't think it's unreasonable that we concentrate specifically on what our £3m *striker* brings to the table in this respect.

Aye...when u mention that fee its not unreasonable (i agree)......its just that sometimes it becomes an obsession that goal scoring is the responsibility of one player ..most teams share the responsibility around...like Cardiff?...against that you have CP with Murray..but then how many of his have been penalties...CMS's form seems to depend on how confident the team are ..whether they will play the balls that he thrives on...he's an instinct player but not one i would back on a one on one..but even hoskins muffed his opportunity against Bristol City when clean through

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The problem is that we are only creating 1 or 2 good chances a game. Not even Messi and Ronaldo score every chance that they get so to expect CMS and Barnes to do so is silly. At the start of the season we were creating loads of chances and they were both scoring goals.

And whenever he gets his 1 or 2 chances he messes it up.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I don't disagree that he's a good player and I like him a lot, as well as the Hoskins and Dobbie signings. They were all signings we have to be delighted with (I was beside myself with glee when we signed CMS, I can still remember where I was and what I was doing when I read twitter and all the rumours were coming out (SAD)), given the level of signings we were able to make for the 20 years previous to the last few years it would be wrong not to be happy with that, but for whatever reason they are unable to score with Poyet's tactics and to be honest I'm not exactly sure what sort of striker we need to resolve the situation.

100% agree

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
CMS is a strange one. Like so many players, he was devastating in League 1 but pretty mediocre at Championship level.

Not only does he not take the chances he does get, but he's hardly ever the one getting on the end of crosses, the one who pops up to stab the ball home from a few yards. He doesn't win headers, doesn't have a left foot, rarely takes players on. Regardless of what style of football we play, he is a striker. That's his job.

That chance at Palace sums it up for me. He is lightning quick, has a good touch, is strong, but I just never felt that he'd show real composure, open his body and slot that into the top corner. Instead, he opts to with his right foot into the near post? That was never going to go in, but that was the easier shot. He just doesn't have that extra bit of quality that's needed in the Championship IMO.

He terrifies deference with his pace and every now and then he shows a flash of brilliance. But it's no often enough. In the same way that Barnes seems to play every single game because of his defensive qualities (which I don't get either), CMS seems to play because he runs a lot. We don't need someone who runs a lot. We need someone to bang in goals. I just don't think that someone is CMS.. or Barnes.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
CMS is a strange one. Like so many players, he was devastating in League 1 but pretty mediocre at Championship level.

Not only does he not take the chances he does get, but he's hardly ever the one getting on the end of crosses, the one who pops up to stab the ball home from a few yards. He doesn't win headers, doesn't have a left foot, rarely takes players on. Regardless of what style of football we play, he is a striker. That's his job.

That chance at Palace sums it up for me. He is lightning quick, has a good touch, is strong, but I just never felt that he'd show real composure, open his body and slot that into the top corner. Instead, he opts to with his right foot into the near post? That was never going to go in, but that was the easier shot. He just doesn't have that extra bit of quality that's needed in the Championship IMO.
He terrifies deference with his pace and every now and then he shows a flash of brilliance. But it's no often enough. In the same way that Barnes seems to play every single game because of his defensive qualities (which I don't get either), CMS seems to play because he runs a lot. We don't need someone who runs a lot. We need someone to bang in goals. I just don't think that someone is CMS.. or Barnes.

Except it was his left foot.

He beat the keeper dont forget, he just couldn't get it inside the post. If he had gone for the harder chance and missed everyone would have been slating him for not going for the easy option!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
He can't finish for toffee, sorry but its true, he's missed countless clear chances this season.

I'm not a hater either, I think he's a good player but doesn't work in our team and doesn't finish enough chances, thats why I think Hoskins should play, much better finished in my eyes. And about the post above its nonsense, we have created LOADS of chances recently.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Except it was his left foot.

He beat the keeper dont forget, he just couldn't get it inside the post. If he had gone for the harder chance and missed everyone would have been slating him for not going for the easy option!

Perhaps he "beat" the keeper because his shot was too far wide? Maybe if it was on target it would've been saved?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
CMS for all his faults is still our top scorer and, is he third in the championship? It was not his fault Dunk was sent off, Murray rose highest to head home or was pushed for a Penalty blah blah blah. Give the Guy a break he is trying his heart out and although he should be rested now and then i dont think his replacements look as good as him. He will score 20+ goals this season if he continues his form so far.......if he hits form.....who knows.

Edit: He is 8th top scorer................get rid of the useless turd ( in a NSC turnaround stylee)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
CMS for all his faults is still our top scorer and, is he third in the championship? It was not his fault Dunk was sent off, Murray rose highest to head home or was pushed for a Penalty blah blah blah. Give the Guy a break he is trying his heart out and although he should be rested now and then i dont think his replacements look as good as him. He will score 20+ goals this season if he continues his form so far.......if he hits form.....who knows.

Don't agree sorry, you can't simply say oh 'he's trying his heart out' and expect people to accept him not being able to finish? If we paid 3M quid for a striker who just tries his heart out aren't we a bunch of fools. I agree with some to an extent, its not his fault because we don't exactly play to his exact strengths but still, with the chances he's had recently you have to say his finishing has been shocking, he missed 3 clear chances in the Bolton home game alone that I can remember. He just doesn't seem a natural finished to me, people can say what they want about Barnes but when he is in the box he seems to have that instinct for where the goal is, CMS seems to panic and stab at the ball. I love seeing him in the stripes don't get me wrong but you have to ask questions of a striker who cost THREE MILLION pounds, that can't finish.

I can think of many players who try their hearts out but ultimately they are not good enough, the funny thing with CMS though is I can imagine if you put him in a team like Leeds for example, who play more direct, he'd probably prosper.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Don't agree sorry, you can't simply say oh 'he's trying his heart out' and expect people to accept him not being able to finish? If we paid 3M quid for a striker who just tries his heart out aren't we a bunch of fools. I agree with some to an extent, its not his fault because we don't exactly play to his exact strengths but still, with the chances he's had recently you have to say his finishing has been shocking, he missed 3 clear chances in the Bolton home game alone that I can remember. He just doesn't seem a natural finished to me, people can say what they want about Barnes but when he is in the box he seems to have that instinct for where the goal is, CMS seems to panic and stab at the ball. I love seeing him in the stripes don't get me wrong but you have to ask questions of a striker who cost THREE MILLION pounds, that can't finish.

I can think of many players who try their hearts out but ultimately they are not good enough, the funny thing with CMS though is I can imagine if you put him in a team like Leeds for example, who play more direct, he'd probably prosper.

But will everyone be slating him if he ends the season with 20 goals in the form he is in or if he scores 25 goals if he hits a bit of form.

In summary does 25 goals in the championship cost you 3 million ( Ok not in FFSM case)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
the funny thing with CMS though is I can imagine if you put him in a team like Leeds for example, who play more direct, he'd probably prosper.

Absolutely, .. so when the time comes that we decide to sell, as inevitably I think we will, I'm confident we'd get a fair chunk back of what we paid - and I can see Leeds being interested with their new money.

The other scary thing is that I wouldn't like to see him playing against us ........ the Bridcutt/CMS face off would be interesting in that sort of team

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do not think that we create enough clear chances, half chances yes but not clear cut one that he should score every time. His % of chances taken is quite good and will improve as our midfield support improves.

Simply not good enough.

As for him being a poacher, if he was really a poacher his family would starve as the gamekeepers seem to have him nailed.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I was beside myself with glee when we signed CMS, I can still remember where I was and what I was doing

I assume because you heard we were signing a striker for a few million and thought he was going to be fantastic.

What did you think when you saw him play? Where you still beside yourself with glee?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I don't disagree that he's a good player and I like him a lot, as well as the Hoskins and Dobbie signings. They were all signings we have to be delighted with (I was beside myself with glee when we signed CMS, I can still remember where I was and what I was doing when I read twitter and all the rumours were coming out (SAD)), given the level of signings we were able to make for the 20 years previous to the last few years it would be wrong not to be happy with that, but for whatever reason they are unable to score with Poyet's tactics and to be honest I'm not exactly sure what sort of striker we need to resolve the situation.

completely agree with you was cockahoop when we signed him. Sadly he has not delivered - saturdays miss (one of many) will live long in the memory. If we got a reasonable offer in Jan from Norwich - i would take it and look to get someone else in - who i have no idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here