Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Really, Potter has to go ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Potter always needed 3-4 windows minimum to build 'his' squad. TB punted on him being the right man to fit the club's long term strategy (I still think he is BTW), whilst having enough to keep us up whilst that was implemented (CH never was, but did an outstanding job whilst he was here as part of the longer term plan). The second part of the punt is in danger of going wrong now - but if it does I think we'll absolutely stick with PotterAshworthball next season. It's a long term game. Still think we'd be in at least this position, and most likely much worse, if CH had stayed.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Trossard looked hungry for goals when he first arrived - his near-post flick against Norwich was a good example. But I can't even imagine him getting in that position at the moment.

Agreed. Although for me it was a somewhat partial perspective on the Palace game, Jenas' analysis did demonstrate how few players we get in the box into goalscoring positions, and Trossard really has been guilty of this. Compare this with Southampton, for instance, who flood players into the box at times.
That said, as frustrating as he is and poor defensively (look how Traore ghosted past him without any effort), Trossard was creative on Saturday: that cross along the six yard box; the ball for March's poor blast over, as examples.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
As others have posted, our net spend is top ten....in the world.

We have not yet reached a point where we can sell players for £20 million to offset the £50 million striker incoming. But we will soon.

Right now, we are charged a premium for players, are competing with maybe 30 clubs in Europe for the same players, and have come from nowhere, have no pedigree or cachet, and until this weekend (whe some bloke on the radio called Fletch spent 10 minutes ripping us a new one) are still #undertheradar.

Patience, prudence and courage. Quite a juggling act for any side that isn't ManUre or owned by a sheik, let alone little old Brighton. :shrug:

Our wages are bottom three

Until our wages are not bottom three, our manager, whoever he is, will have done a good job to keep us out of the bottom three.

CH over achieved for two seasons, it remains to be seen if GP can do likewise.

I really hope he can.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Our wages are bottom three

Until our wages are not bottom three, our manager, whoever he is, will have done a good job to keep us out of the bottom three.

CH over achieved for two seasons, it remains to be seen if GP can do likewise.

I really hope he can.

100% this. That’s why we’ve invested so much in the ‘grow your own’ approach in my view

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
We are a striker short of a top half team. Lowest conversion rate in the division. GP has transformed us. I am not sure what people see at times?!

We're literally 5 (judiciously timed) goals away from being in the top half - 5 draws converted to wins would have seen us on 39 points, with a better goal difference than Burnley and the Filth.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Why if it's the way that he feels? Do you keep your views quiet? There is no difference simply because he is a well known figure locally, and that people listen to what he has to say.

Whoosh

image.jpeg

:D

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Potter always needed 3-4 windows minimum to build 'his' squad. TB punted on him being the right man to fit the club's long term strategy (I still think he is BTW), whilst having enough to keep us up whilst that was implemented (CH never was, but did an outstanding job whilst he was here as part of the longer term plan). The second part of the punt is in danger of going wrong now - but if it does I think we'll absolutely stick with PotterAshworthball next season. It's a long term game. Still think we'd be in at least this position, and most likely much worse, if CH had stayed.

We’re an Ings and/or scoring midfielder away from being a comfortable mid-table PL club. The margins are that close.

It’s in no way GP’s fault that the club failed to nail those issues in 6 transfer windows. Plus I don’t blame his stance on Andone (disruptive, a disgraceful attitude gifting Stains the points) and Locadia (simply not good enough to be a PL player) ... before they get churned out again as GP ‘errors’.

I’m pro GP whatever division we’re in next season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We’re an Ings and/or scoring midfielder away from being a comfortable mid-table PL club. The margins are that close.

It’s in no way GP’s fault that the club failed to nail those issues in 6 transfer windows. Plus I don’t blame his stance on Andone (disruptive, a disgraceful attitude gifting Stains the points) and Locadia (simply not good enough to be a PL player) ... before they get churned out again as GP ‘errors’.

Exactly this. I’d add Knocky to Locadia and Andone as well. Busy (and expensive) summer ahead if we stay up I reckon.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Not according to this table. The three promoted clubs and Wolves below us, Sheff U with less than half Brighton's wage costs. Currently Albion are a whole one place better than their wage cost suggests they should be.
Wolves paying less than us? Behave.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not according to this table. The three promoted clubs and Wolves below us, Sheff U with less than half Brighton's wage costs. Currently Albion are a whole one place better than their wage cost suggests they should be.

Not sure whether they would know the wage bill for this season yet, as none of the clubs will have published financials.

"All details of premier league club wage bills taken from trusted sources such as (Mirror UK, Football Fancast, BBC, Forbes Magazine, Soccer Blogger, and TSM Sports)".

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

These numbers are based on out of date accounts. Wolves and Villa now well above Albion. But hey, they still prove a point and that is that over time you just cannot outperform your budget.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
These numbers are based on out of date accounts. Wolves and Villa now well above Albion. But hey, they still prove a point and that is that over time you just cannot outperform your budget.

I strongly suspect that Tony Bloom believes he has a model that can break this "rule".

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

We have had players get stupid red cards in the past and they haven't been kicked out of the club!

I totally agree about Locadia; another recruitment failure. He wasn't ever a PL player.

But it was all about the timing. Locadia wasn't a PL player in the summer so why not get rid of him then? At least we would have had the opportunity to get some money for him and time to get in a replacement. Why wait until the window had closed before kicking them both out? That is where GP got it wrong. I'm all for recruitment of players that can play the Potterball way but the way he did it...and WHEN he did it, was the mistake he made.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
The board only just seem to be realising now, too late, the reality of their half-arsed approach to recruitment at all levels ever since we achieved their holy grail of PL status. Very expensive lesson, hopefully learnt for next time. Which could be quite some time away sadly

You see, this, I agree with, the lack of investment in a replacement for Muzza is shocking IMHO... I hope we get away with it for the second season running...

So chaps, want to stump up the £50-60m to achieve that off the back of a £39m loss from last season?

And yes I’m waiting for the inevitable ‘don’t spunk £X up the wall on Ali J, Trossard and Webster’ so taking that as the response what would you do? Go and use that money to buy someone like Haller who cost West Ham £45m and has scored 3 goals [his record was good, his style is similar to Murray so he MIGHT have been on the radar]?

Then you’d have all been saying what a waste to spend the bulk of our kitty on a donkey and neglect squad depth elsewhere....

We are what we are and that’s never going to change financially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We have had players get stupid red cards in the past and they haven't been kicked out of the club!

I totally agree about Locadia; another recruitment failure. He wasn't ever a PL player.

But it was all about the timing. Locadia wasn't a PL player in the summer so why not get rid of him then? At least we would have had the opportunity to get some money for him and time to get in a replacement. Why wait until the window had closed before kicking them both out? That is where GP got it wrong. I'm all for recruitment of players that can play the Potterball way but the way he did it...and WHEN he did it, was the mistake he made.

Respected football writer and friend of the Albion, Paul Hayward, made it clear that the squad were pleased to see the back of Andone. Potter obviously gave him a chance by starting with him (i.e. not protecting him for sale), but then Andone goes and engineers his departure with the assault. Disgraceful way to treat his club, the fans and his employer.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
So chaps, want to stump up the £50-60m to achieve that off the back of a £39m loss from last season?

And yes I’m waiting for the inevitable ‘don’t spunk £X up the wall on Ali J, Trossard and Webster’ so taking that as the response what would you do? Go and use that money to buy someone like Haller who cost West Ham £45m and has scored 3 goals [his record was good, his style is similar to Murray so he MIGHT have been on the radar]?

Then you’d have all been saying what a waste to spend the bulk of our kitty on a donkey and neglect squad depth elsewhere....

We are what we are and that’s never going to change financially.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree - But at the start of the season they were telling fans a different story. They were hinting at the dream of being a top 10 Club - Once that's done to the fans it is like tearing up a feather pillow case . There is no way that you can be expected to pick up all the feathers after that.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with ''Ambition'' but I think it is better to do it the way Burnley do it. They manage the fans Expectations. Then anything they achieve is an ''Over-achievement''

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here