Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Really, Potter has to go ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I had to laugh during yesterday’s game when the commentators made a number of comments about how Murray would definitely be coming on at some stage. Clueless, he wasn’t coming on unless we went behind imo, and even that wasn’t a certainty. They really do seem to think we are still relying on Murray, who has not shone much at all this season, and hasn’t played much
Which makes me wonder why he deserved a new deal.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Seeing as this is Potter's first season with us and first season of Premier League football I will see just staying up as a success for him. He's learning the league and what the capabilities of our players are. He will then be able to use that season to decide what transfers should be made & then have another summer to try and implement Potterball. Only then can we really start to be more judgmental..

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Keith Andrews summoning up well on my stream, has spoke to GP he said he didn’t get the windows he wanted and needs to bring players in to play how he wants to. Not moaning just know what he wants.

Think this is the point that baffles me the most.

TB and PB have made the decision to go down this route of a ‘progressive’ manager and playing a certain type of football. This being the case I’m surprised we haven’t backed it up with some £££££ to make this successful. Our main two issues are having players who can move the ball at pace and a goalscorer. Whilst I appreciate Maupay COULD be the goalscorer and he was a significant purchase I think we need to sign several players at key positions to make our system ‘work’

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Potter will still be at the Club next year.

When Ashworth was interviewing prospective candidates for the West Brom job. One of the stipulations on getting the the job when Roy Hodgson got the job was that they had to keep Michael Appleton on as their Assistant. That suggests to me that he prefers people in place of his choosing.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I think Potter is more a fit for the club as a whole, rather than anything specific. Would take way too much text to attempt to explain what I mean but can't see him going because of it. Unless we become absolutely shocking for a prolonged period. Manager is a huge appoint but part of a greater picture/puzzle for us, more so than many British clubs I think. As it's not 95% of our staff importance like many clubs I think he'll be around a while.

If he was some magic button that would instantly cement us around the 10-12th position mark he'd have been snapped up long before we could make a calculated and researched gamble. He's more like a piece of an overall puzzle slotted in.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Next week:

'Don't miss Harty's top 10 places to wine and dine on a city break in beautiful Wuhan.'

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think we will stay up due to there being weaker sides below us. Another summer and transfer window should allow Potter to develop his philosophy and we are only a few players away from being able to compete for a top 10 finish.

If we do get relegated I think Potter will be happy to see any of the players move on that wish to leave and start again with many of our academy players given a chance to play and get game time.

There are not many managers that we could replace him with that would bring a better set of results and those who could would be very difficult to bring in

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Which makes me wonder why he deserved a new deal.

If he was about to be transferred to another club in the January window we had to give him a new contract to keep him here and happy, as we fecked up (yet again) on getting a new striker in. Would have left us with Maupay and Connolly for the rest of the season. Guess work here though.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We are a striker short of a top half team. Lowest conversion rate in the division. GP has transformed us. I am not sure what people see at times?!

Yeah I agree with this to a certain extent.

The reality is to get a striker in who can do the job neede, we are going to have to up our wage limit, or hope we get lucky with our approach of finding value from youth team/ European leagues.
If we continue with our current wage limit ( and I think we should) we are unlikely to become a top half team.

None of this is terrible news.
I think people looking to sack the manager, because we are in a relegation battle, are a little deluded.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We are a striker short of a top half team. Lowest conversion rate in the division. GP has transformed us. I am not sure what people see at times?!

Disagree, at least partly though I want/expect a target type striker to arrive in the summer.

Maupay has done well and is a class striker and with some changes to his surroundings he would score 15+ goals.

Main issue as I see it is the lack of production from midfield. Mooy would have bagged a few more with "normal" luck but everyone else - Pröpper, Stephens, Bissouma, Alzate - are so far away from scoring or assisting that you wonder if its even physically possible.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Disagree, at least partly though I want/expect a target type striker to arrive in the summer.

Maupay has done well and is a class striker and with some changes to his surroundings he would score 15+ goals.

Main issue as I see it is the lack of production from midfield. Mooy would have bagged a few more with "normal" luck but everyone else - Pröpper, Stephens, Bissouma, Alzate - are so far away from scoring or assisting that you wonder if its even physically possible.

This.

1. We need a replacement for Muzza.
2. The lack of goals from midfield is so poor.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
This.

1. We need a replacement for Muzza.
2. The lack of goals from midfield is so poor.

Trossard looked hungry for goals when he first arrived - his near-post flick against Norwich was a good example. But I can't even imagine him getting in that position at the moment.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Why if it's the way that he feels? Do you keep your views quiet? There is no difference simply because he is a well known figure locally, and that people listen to what he has to say.

Calm down dear. I think you missed the joke.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Think this is the point that baffles me the most.

TB and PB have made the decision to go down this route of a ‘progressive’ manager and playing a certain type of football. This being the case I’m surprised we haven’t backed it up with some £££££ to make this successful. Our main two issues are having players who can move the ball at pace and a goalscorer. Whilst I appreciate Maupay COULD be the goalscorer and he was a significant purchase I think we need to sign several players at key positions to make our system ‘work’

As others have posted, our net spend is top ten....in the world.

We have not yet reached a point where we can sell players for £20 million to offset the £50 million striker incoming. But we will soon.

Right now, we are charged a premium for players, are competing with maybe 30 clubs in Europe for the same players, and have come from nowhere, have no pedigree or cachet, and until this weekend (whe some bloke on the radio called Fletch spent 10 minutes ripping us a new one) are still #undertheradar.

Patience, prudence and courage. Quite a juggling act for any side that isn't ManUre or owned by a sheik, let alone little old Brighton. :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here