Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Really positive...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I admire the positive outlook but this is what the club were doing last season. Grabban, Clayton et al spring to mind in players who we were 'interested' in but ended up going to other clubs. When we starts getting the deals done i'll be happier
Agreed. We have a lot of very recent history of not getting deals over the line, with other Championship clubs beating us to signatures.

Whether this was just because BERK, as rumoured, used to sing Kylie songs when negotiating with players and agents, remains to be seen.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The Albion fans loved Paddy McCourt and he was dire. I'd rather have one of those shit players like Glenn Murray or Ashley Barnes.

Jamie is one of those players who just bears down on goal once he gets the ball..................nothing like Paddy Mc Court. There is a natural talent in Murphy.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Jamie is one of those players who just bears down on goal once he gets the ball..................nothing like Paddy Mc Court. There is a natural talent in Murphy.

I'm sure he is. My point was that the reaction of the Albion fans isn't a particuarly reliable indicator as to a player's quality.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The key point is to actually sign one of these players early in pre-season.

Hughton is just back from holidays and was scheduled to meet with the Iranian lad, but his manager rates our chances as 50/50. I daresay our chances would be better than this if - hypothetically - we'd signed Bobby Zamora. I know the recent poll showed fans were 70/30 in favour of bringing him back. My point is that this would be a big signing that shows we mean business.

Why would the Iranian lad sign for us? We have no forwards, no one to convert his good work. The same applies to Jamie Murphy.

If we really want to kick on we need to sign a decent forward, and fast. Other signings will fall into place after that.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Hughton is just back from holidays and was scheduled to meet with the Iranian lad, but his manager rates our chances as 50/50. I daresay our chances would be better than this if - hypothetically - we'd signed Bobby Zamora. I know the recent poll showed fans were 70/30 in favour of bringing him back. My point is that this would be a big signing that shows we mean business.

Why would the Iranian lad sign for us? We have no forwards, no one to convert his good work. The same applies to Jamie Murphy.

You daresay it, but...

There is absolutely no chance this bloke has ever heard of Bobby Zamora. Thus, his signing or no will have precisely zero impact. Though he's likely to be aware of Bob, the same applies to Jamie Murphy. Apart from specific circumstances, that's not why players sign.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Agreed. We have a lot of very recent history of not getting deals over the line, with other Championship clubs beating us to signatures.

Whether this was just because BERK, as rumoured, used to sing Kylie songs when negotiating with players and agents, remains to be seen.

Dave would be aghast, The Jam or maybe Talking Heads, never Kylie

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You daresay it, but...

There is absolutely no chance this bloke has ever heard of Bobby Zamora. Thus, his signing or no will have precisely zero impact. Though he's likely to be aware of Bob, the same applies to Jamie Murphy. Apart from specific circumstances, that's not why players sign.

The bloke has a manager. The player's job is to create goals. The more goals get scored the more the player is worth. The agent makes a living off the player's value.

Therefore, even if the player wasn't aware of Zamora - and I expect he probably IS aware of him - his manager should be.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
We still need about another 5/6 possibly more, quality players at least two strikers with proven ability at this level or above is an absolute MUST.
Saying that, we could buy Lionel Messi and we would probably end up putting him between the sticks.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
As has been said on here before, it's not generally the identification of players that has been our problem. It's been getting the ones that other clubs are after to sign.

And playing them in their correct positions too.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
We still need about another 5/6 possibly more, quality players at least two strikers with proven ability at this level or above is an absolute MUST.
Saying that, we could buy Lionel Messi and we would probably end up putting him between the sticks.

Why between the sticks, there will be more room on the bench now, as we are apparently cutting back on loan players.
But though I try not to get too excited now when I hear of possible signings, I do feel more confident now that Burke has gone. I've no wish to be disrespectful toward him, but he did oversee the worst transfer dealings I can ever recall at the club. And if I was TB I'd have been seriously miffed, especially with the non performing loans.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I admire the positive outlook but this is what the club were doing last season. Grabban, Clayton et al spring to mind in players who we were 'interested' in but ended up going to other clubs. When we starts getting the deals done i'll be happier

Or

When we starts getting the deals done i'll be impressed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here