Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Really? 90 million quid?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The problem is that - yet again - the transfer "bar" has been raised, making it even harder for clubs without Prem riches to compete.

Hughton has been saying that the player market is 50% more expensive than it was last summer and this is purely down to the Prem TV deal. Wages are also be on the rise. It is perverse that the club like the Albion can be losing £10 million a season with the amount of demand for tickets, catering and merchandise there is here.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The problem is that - yet again - the transfer "bar" has been raised, making it even harder for clubs without Prem riches to compete.

Hughton has been saying that the player market is 50% more expensive than it was last summer and this is purely down to the Prem TV deal. Wages are also be on the rise. It is perverse that the club like the Albion can be losing £10 million a season with the amount of demand for tickets, catering and merchandise there is here.

I suspect TB would "Love It" ((c) Kevin Keegan) if the Albion lost £10m last year. I suspect the actual figure will be close to double that sum.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
If all the money spent on transfers over the past 10 years was instead spent on medical research they'd be a lot more people alive today - that's the kind of world we live in and the priorities we have to witness.

Same could be said about football fans, why do they spend their hard earned cash watching this sport rather than giving the money to medical research or to charity instead.

Football fans are the main source of this money (merchandise, tickets and sky subscriptions, etc) if they weren't paying for the football product, then there wouldn't be anywhere near the transfer fees we see and the wages paid for kicking a ball around a pitch

But who would do that instead of spending some of their free time watching a sport they love?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I suspect TB would "Love It" ((c) Kevin Keegan) if the Albion lost £10m last year. I suspect the actual figure will be close to double that sum.

You're probably correct given that we didn't sell anyone of note.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
We can complain but we looked (for a while) to be selling a Championship midfielder, with a relatively poor injury record, who averages a goal every 7 games, and is in the last year of his contract for SEVEN MILLION POUNDS. 3 years ago, Stephens would have been off for less than £1m.

NB. Obviously his sale is nowhere near guaranteed, but still illustrates the stupid transfer market. I also am aware he's FAR better than I've made him sound. I'm just taking the pessimistic view to illustrate the point.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
I never get this argument. Money doesn't just exist in a vacuum, waiting for someone to suck it up. The clubs either had this money, or could assume the level of debt required to make the funds available. Why would football clubs want to fund medical research?

Of course you could make the argument that the money came from TV rights deals, but then why would broadcasters want to fund medical research? Yes, it'd be a good thing to do (obviously), but it's not exactly what people are paying their subscriptions to Sky for is it?

Of course that's the way it is. As I said - we can only bear witness, but I also was hinting at how skewed I find it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Same could be said about football fans, why do they spend their hard earned cash watching this sport rather than giving the money to medical research or to charity instead.

Because we're stupid and we love our club?

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India

Football fans are the main source of this money (merchandise, tickets and sky subscriptions, etc) if they weren't paying for the football product, then there wouldn't be anywhere near the transfer fees we see and the wages paid for kicking a ball around a pitch

But who would do that instead of spending some of their free time watching a sport they love?

The last time I spent a penny on football was a very long time ago. Football was an affordable part of my life for about 7 years. About £10 for a blood and guts match in a pumping stadium - it was brilliant. I don't want any part of it now. I still love my team - but I will never have Sky or be happy with the the way the sport has descended while clubs pay obscene money basically to win favour with media moguls.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
What price is a Man U shirt in China?

I live in China currently. If you want an official one it's similar price to back in UK and can go to a mall in any big city to get what I assume is a legit one in sports shop or 'club' shop. Those stores never seem to have any shoppers in but about 8 staff on their phones.

Markets are full of 'Manu' shirts that are much much much cheaper and more popular. Doubt Man U or Adiddas see much of that money. You have to fight through the hordes of people buying things to get anywhere close to buying one though should you wish to.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I live in China currently. If you want an official one it's similar price to back in UK and can go to a mall in any big city to get what I assume is a legit one in sports shop or 'club' shop. Those stores never seem to have any shoppers in but about 8 staff on their phones.

Markets are full of 'Manu' shirts that are much much much cheaper and more popular. Doubt Man U or Adiddas see much of that money. You have to fight through the hordes of people buying things to get anywhere close to buying one though should you wish to.

My mate, who lives wherever, Thailand or somewhere like that has an Amex shirt spelt wrong, how do you not spell Amex right?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The last time I spent a penny on football was a very long time ago. Football was an affordable part of my life for about 7 years. About £10 for a blood and guts match in a pumping stadium - it was brilliant. I don't want any part of it now. I still love my team - but I will never have Sky or be happy with the the way the sport has descended while clubs pay obscene money basically to win favour with media moguls.

Sadly not enough people have taken this approach and because so many are willing to pay for it, prices have risen throughout the game (smaller clubs trying to compete with larger clubs with a better revenue stream have had to charge fans more to try to close the financial gap, etc)

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Part of the trouble is also fan attitudes, they want expensive and exciting sounding signings brought into their club and are often detached from the financial realities of trying to keep the club afloat. Ask any fan of a club making a big money signing, and they will tend to be excited about the new player and there is little concern shown towards how this will affect the clubs finances or protests if the fee is obscene.

If they feel not enough is being done by the owners or the board, it can lead to protests and destabilise the club, adversely affecting it's future (going for a cheap option seen as ripping fans off despite losing millions a season trying to deliver a successful team on the pitch, etc)

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
For fear of sounding like a commie. Isn't it about time Goverments all over the World rein in these people that earn such ridiculous money. Anyone earning, nay receiving, millions a year, needs to be seriously taxed. And that money put toward worthwhile benefits to society ...not feckin great yachts to go swanning around the Banana Islands in. Or come to that, on missiles to blow the World to smithereens. .....Rant Over. :)

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
I wonder how much influence Adidas (who have the rights to Pogba) had over this. Seems to be more common these days, tying the brand to the same club and player

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here