Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic out of contract players from The Prem

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We may just have to bide our time and do a Southampton by bringing our academy players along.
I cannot see the point of spending big just for short term gain.
The more young players we bring through the more connection we will begin to have with our beloved team again

What happens in the 5 - 8 years waiting for this to happen and players emerge?

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
He could bring out the best in Dunk as Upson did but not if signed just as cover a la Hughes last summer.

Dunk and Upson played 11 games together.

Hughes wasn't signed as cover. He started the season as first choice, before Dunk and Greer kept him out of the side.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dunk and Upson played 11 games together.

Hughes wasn't signed as cover. He started the season as first choice, before Dunk and Greer kept him out of the side.

He must have learnt from Upson as he was a raw novice prior to that and then emerged this season as the stand out player at the club and should have been POTS even taking into account his drop in form towards the end of the season. You may even highlight the fact that I was once of his biggest critics last season.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Big Brede is almost 34 now. He'd still be a very good CB in the Championship though. A real threat from set pieces and pretty solid at the back, you could do a lot worse.

Pardew said last Friday that he wanted Hangeland to stay because he was such a gentleman and a good influence on the young players. He's also the only player apart from Calde that I've ever seen on public transport.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Pardew said last Friday that he wanted Hangeland to stay because he was such a gentleman and a good influence on the young players. He's also the only player apart from Calde that I've ever seen on public transport.

I saw Nicky Forster on the tube when he was Brentford manager once

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I am rather surprised that nobody has suggested Joey Barton who is not having his contract renewed at QPR unless he drops his huge wage demands.
Aside from him being a thesaurus chomping moron who I'd hate to see anywhere the club, I can't imagine that we'd be able to pay him anywhere near what he wants.

Plus, if we were to sign a big wage freebie, Vicente style, I'd hope that Barton wouldn't be too high on the hit list.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Aside from him being a thesaurus chomping moron who I'd hate to see anywhere the club, I can't imagine that we'd be able to pay him anywhere near what he wants.

Plus, if we were to sign a big wage freebie, Vicente style, I'd hope that Barton wouldn't be too high on the hit list.

I am rather surprised that nobody has suggested Joey Barton who is not having his contract renewed at QPR unless he drops his huge wage demands.

Signing for Brentford apparently :moo:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Plenty available who could compliment the squad nicely;

Brede Hangeland
Richard Dunne
Peter Odemwingie
Wilson Palacios
Paul McShane
Jussi Jaaskelainen
Wes Brown
Bobby Zamora...

To name but a few. Maybe a couple that are a bit unrealistic but we can dream.

WAY too many past-their-sell-by-date donkeys in there. Even if we could afford the dumb wages they take for granted, how on earth is THAT building for any kind of future? ???

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Bit in the Evening Standard last night (or the night before) about Carlton Cole being out of contract in the summer. I'd be delighted to have him here, sadly I think along with a lot of the names mentioned on this thread he'll be way out of our wage structure.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Bit in the Evening Standard last night (or the night before) about Carlton Cole being out of contract in the summer. I'd be delighted to have him here, sadly I think along with a lot of the names mentioned on this thread he'll be way out of our wage structure.

Can't Control has a bit of baggage, probably looking for a last pay-day. We need enthusiastic yoofs seeking to prove themselves Shirley?

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
WAY too many past-their-sell-by-date donkeys in there. Even if we could afford the dumb wages they take for granted, how on earth is THAT building for any kind of future? ???

Not saying we should sign the lot. Surely a player (or two) who has experience at the top level can only benefit the younger players?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
A blend of youth and experience (with quality ) is what makes a successful team. Let's not talk ourselves down. I don't think pro players will be put off by one poor season. We do have a super stadium, a respected manager, state of the art training ground and good crowds.

What is not to like?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
A blend of youth and experience (with quality ) is what makes a successful team. Let's not talk ourselves down. I don't think pro players will be put off by one poor season. We do have a super stadium, a respected manager, state of the art training ground and good crowds.

What is not to like?

The wages we offer.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure Zamora could motivate himself for 1 more excellent season with us.

Sign him up, Tony, and then we can ship COG out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here