Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Realistic managers from League 1/2?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I wanted us to get Rosler last year, can't see a similar candidate this time.

yukon_jacket_pl_lg.jpg
???

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I have very little belief that just about any of the names being touted around by bookies and other posters are realistic. Di Matteo, Zola, Rangnick e.t.c. all managers who you would expect would want big promises about budgets and to have players they wanted signed actually signed. Obvious we've been spoilt by the box office appointment of Poyet and then a man from Barca but I just don't believe that appointing Zola or Mackay, both managers who are big names in football at the moment but neither of whom have particularly impressive managerial records is in our best interests.
I think you are wrong there mate. I would not be surprised if manager with premiership job haven't made indirect enquiries about the position.

Outside the big 10 or 11, I would see the Brighton job as one of the most sort after. I've spent the last 6 months wanting Oscar gone, because unlike a lot on here I can see the game without permanently fixed blue and white specs on, so I am not just saying this because I am a Brighton fan, but because with the new facilities, the stadium and set up here, if a manager want to down roots for a long period, I don't see many clubs a better option than us at the moment.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
No, he spent 4 years assembling that squad whilst constantly reducing the wage bill.

Right. So despite your constant negativity on here, you want a manager who, as you yourself highlight took 4 years to build a squad. A squad which he left in 14th position, only for somebody else to come in and take the same players to THIRD in that same season.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Right. So despite your constant negativity on here, you want a manager who, as you yourself highlight took 4 years to build a squad. A squad which he left in 14th position, only for somebody else to come in and take the same players to THIRD in that same season.

Treading water in this league on a small budget whilst producing a stream of excellent and exciting young players? Yeh I'd be delighted. Our squad will need a radical overhaul in the next few years, defense aging rapidly, Ulloa likely off midfield obviously not up to it we need a man who can build a good squad in this league, Clough proved at Derby he could do it.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I wouldn't mind Jackett, done a superb job at Wolves and had them playing some decent football by all accounts plus sure he'd come here and wouldn't need outrageous money.

East Stand

May 4, 2014
Just to add to the argument for Nigel Clough.

Nigel inherited a bloated and ageing first team squad at Derby following the sacking of Jewell. I think we had something like over 30 players with an annual player wage bill of around 26m. At the time of Nigels sacking the whole first team squad had been rehauled and the annual player wage bill had been reduced to around 8m. The whole process took around around 4 years in some part due to the fact some players had been on contracts that other clubs simply were not prepared to match and therefore the club had to take a bath in order to get rid of these players.

Under Billy Davies the club dismantled the under 21 development squad and the academy was put on the back burner in order to redirect funds to the first team, a shocking decision.

One of the first things that Nigel did was to bring back the under 21 development squad and players such as Buxton were signed from non league football with this squad in mind. Furthermore, Nigel asked Darren Wassell to take over the academy and began placing far more importance in the club developing it's own players for the future. We now have players such as Will Hughes, Jeff Hendrick and Mason Bennett that are products of the academy. Interestingly, the oldest player in our midfield on Sunday was aged 22.

Nigel signed many players on free transfers such as Chris Martin ( 26 goals this season ) and paid small fees such the 150k for our LB Forsyth , signed from Watford, where he had been playing second string football as a winger. The the team that played against Brighton on Sunday coat a nett 2m to put together and the average age was 23, and that is down to the hard work of Nigel Clough.

When McClaren arrived at the club he said that he had inherited a talented and honest bunch of players and thanked Nigel. McClaren has added players such as Wisdom, Dawkins, Bamford and Thorne, so no doubt as improved the team. Furthermore, it's difficult to argue many of the players he inherited have not improved considerably under his excellent coaching. However, the foundations for our current success were laid down by Nigel Clough.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Slade !!!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
WTF 2 years on the bounce in the play offs full stadium week in week out good cup runs for 2 years and you want someone from divisions below us? Set your sights a little higher

Well said sir. At the end of the day does this club of ours actually WANT promotion to the promised land? Because if it does then we have to be prepared to bring in an established manager with EXPERIENCE of Championship football, who is capable of doing the job.

I'm sorry but if that means that our more than strict adherence to the rules regarding FFP being put on hold for a while, then so be it. I'm sick and tired of this club bottling it when it comes to the crunch. I want to see Premier League football at the Amex in MY lifetime, not my kids.

I want to see one of the following three managers appointed, 1 Malky MacKay, 2 Chris Hughton, or 3 Steve Clarke, as all fit the above criteria.

As l see it no one from Leagues One and Two fit the bill ... although there is that guy at Port Vale of course ...

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Nigel inherited a bloated and ageing first team squad at Derby following the sacking of Jewell. I think we had something like over 30 players with an annual player wage bill of around 26m. At the time of Nigels sacking the whole first team squad had been rehauled and the annual player wage bill had been reduced to around 8m. The whole process took around around 4 years in some part due to the fact some players had been on contracts that other clubs simply were not prepared to match and therefore the club had to take a bath in order to get rid of these players.

Under Billy Davies the club dismantled the under 21 development squad and the academy was put on the back burner in order to redirect funds to the first team, a shocking decision.

One of the first things that Nigel did was to bring back the under 21 development squad and players such as Buxton were signed from non league football with this squad in mind. Furthermore, Nigel asked Darren Wassell to take over the academy and began placing far more importance in the club developing it's own players for the future. We now have players such as Will Hughes, Jeff Hendrick and Mason Bennett that are products of the academy. Interestingly, the oldest player in our midfield on Sunday was aged 22.

Nigel signed many players on free transfers such as Chris Martin ( 26 goals this season ) and paid small fees such the 150k for our LB Forsyth , signed from Watford, where he had been playing second string football as a winger. The the team that played against Brighton on Sunday coat a nett 2m to put together and the average age was 23, and that is down to the hard work of Nigel Clough.

When McClaren arrived at the club he said that he had inherited a talented and honest bunch of players and thanked Nigel. McClaren has added players such as Wisdom, Dawkins, Bamford and Thorne, so no doubt as improved the team. Furthermore, it's difficult to argue many of the players he inherited have not improved considerably under his excellent coaching. However, the foundations for our current success were laid down by Nigel Clough.

Agree with all of that. I like Nigel Clough and I think he would be a good long term bet.

That said I really don't think he would come. He is very much based in the Nottingham/Derby area and has never managed further South than Burton. Suspect he is happy in his life, with his family and can't see him up rooting them to come to Brighton.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013

Great post and I'd be happy with his appointment.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
WTF 2 years on the bounce in the play offs full stadium week in week out good cup runs for 2 years and you want someone from divisions below us? Set your sights a little higher

Being a big name doesn't make you a good manager, Zola and Mackay both have shite records and neither would improve the dreary football. You are an idiot plain and simple if you will overlook any one from any division below us. How many managers who we would love to have now began managing in the lower leagues?

East Stand

May 4, 2014
Agree with all of that. I like Nigel Clough and I think he would be a good long term bet.

That said I really don't think he would come. He is very much based in the Nottingham/Derby area and has never managed further South than Burton. Suspect he is happy in his life, with his family and can't see him up rooting them to come to Brighton.

I think you're right, Nigel is very much a family man with young children. I don't think he is likely to move from Sheffield where he is loved by the fans, with many stating that Nigel is the best manager they have had in many many years.

However the point of my post apart from showing the good work Nigel did at our club during his tenure is that you do not need a big name manager or big name players in order to be successful. Our rivals Nottingham Forest, managed to relieve their previous owner the late Nigel Dougherty to the tune of 80m in the chase for the elusive holy grail that is the Premiership. Their current owner Fawaz Al-Hasawi has poured in a further 40m-50m with the same game plan, resulting in a long line of so called experienced managers and expensive 'stellar' signings. And how has that worked out for them?

In fact many of their fans have now changed their tune, instead of laughing at us for signing non-league players, free transfers, and unknowns from Scotland. They now believe that is the right way to go, a young manager that will be given time and with the emphasis on bring through their own young players, whilst unearthing some gems from the lower leagues.

There are some good young managers in the football league such as Gary Rowett at Burton perhaps ?

I think you have a great stadium with a fantastic fanbase . Some good young players and characters such as Calderon that you can build your club around. Perhaps a hungry young manager, given some time, could be a better option to build the club from it's foundations, bringing in equally young and hungry players from the lower league.

Nigel spent a nett sum of 2m in building the current Derby team. 9 of the players that started on Sunday were Nigel's players. So it can be done.

Camicus

Being a big name doesn't make you a good manager, Zola and Mackay both have shite records and neither would improve the dreary football. You are an idiot plain and simple if you will overlook any one from any division below us. How many managers who we would love to have now began managing in the lower leagues?

Wow been back less than 24 hours and already called an idiot must be a record. We need a manager of proven quality at higher levels not some numpty who did a good job avoiding relegation. For the love of god there are top quality managers who would love to manage us

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Justin Edinburgh ? This doesn't mean I would endorse the choice. I could think of worse choices.

I think we should maybe aim much higher than that!

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria

Mackay has a shite record!

Who are you? Vincent Tan?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Spent HUGE money to take a team up and then struggle in the championship. What sort of a record is that?

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
He wouldn't be popular, but Steve Evans would do a very decent job at Brighton.
Hes certainly came a long way since rolling in at Crawley 7 or 8 years ago.He had to rebuild his reputation in the game and he certainly did that.
Now at Rotherham of course, and if they beat Preston in the second leg they will be one win from the championship.
Evans is a determined self driven manager that has a thick skin and isn't afraid to ruffle feathers in his pursuit of success.
But importantly he knows what he is doing.He puts decent squads together and generates a winning mentality in them.He stops at nothing to cross that line first.
I

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here