Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez for £63m

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
He is a phenomenal talent and only just turned 23 this month.

Madrid have got themselves sorted with Bale and J ROD for the next 6 years or so.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
For the professional punters out there. Would you lump on large on RM for the Spanish Title? It would have to be large for any decent return.
I should imagine very short odds for the Champions League also, but higher risk.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Took Real Madrid 2 years to recover the 'cost' of Ronaldo (C.) through merchandise, and Bale 1 year if you include the Champions League as well as the merchandise.

Rodriguez will sell a lot of merchandise and will probably have that cost paid back in the next few years. It's the way the Madrid Galatico's work.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
They get away with it because the Spanish can sell their own TV rights I think. So Barca and Real will always stay 10 times richer than anyone else in their league.

You see this same effect in major league baseball, where the teams with large regional cable channels -- Boston (NESN), the Yankees (YES) and such -- have much deeper pockets than their competitors.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Slightly digressing but world cups can make a player . Happened to gazza to a certain extent , toto schillachi sp , baggio. All classic examples from 90 . Some prosper some fail . Rodriguez looked class but not worth that .

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
A combined total of £55 million for Luke Shaw and Adam Lallana looks far more ridiculous to me than £63 million for a guy who was easily the outstanding talent from the last World Cup.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Slightly digressing but world cups can make a player . Happened to gazza to a certain extent , toto schillachi sp , baggio. All classic examples from 90 . Some prosper some fail . Rodriguez looked class but not worth that .

He was the best player at the World Cup by some way. Considering Bale and Ronaldo's costs I think £63m is pretty much spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here