Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading's Pogrebnyak gets wage rise- now on £55k a week

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
So why the hell have we still done nothing? There really is no excuse for our apparent inactivity on the transfer front. Anyone want a small wager with me that our first transfer of the Summer will be outwards?

It depends whether you claim activity as signing players or trying to. Clearly with Ali J we're trying to sign players, regardless of whether we're successful or not. Still, another stick to beat the club with, eh?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It depends whether you claim activity as signing players or trying to. Clearly with Ali J we're trying to sign players, regardless of whether we're successful or not. Still, another stick to beat the club with, eh?

Go easy on the springy one. We have previously established that he is one of the most negative posters on this board. I have come to regard him as a bellwether; as long as he is negative, doom-laden and gloomy then things are as they should be. It is when he becomes positive that the alarm bells should start ringing. Criticise away, Zebedee, our bouncy friend.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
That's an obscene amount of money for a 2nd division striker regardless of his goal scoring record, that Pogrebnyak has been so poor just males it sadder/funnier.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I take it Derby will be failing FFP if they don't go up and Reading must be in their last year of obscene parachute payments? I might be critical of our shit recruitment policy but I am 100% behind not paying the sort of wages mentioned on this thread to any player.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I take it Derby will be failing FFP if they don't go up and Reading must be in their last year of obscene parachute payments? I might be critical of our shit recruitment policy but I am 100% behind not paying the sort of wages mentioned on this thread to any player.
FFP is a farce I knew it was a farce the minute it was ruled that any fine would be paid to a charity and not split between the complying clubs.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Because we are a bunch of skin flints, and have a board that refuses to accept they can no longer fund us to the level we are at. Where as Derby are spending and investing well, and actively looking to IMPROVE their term, where as we sold/released the spine of our squad.

This, although its really got very little to do with the Board and a great deal to do with Tony Bloom. It seems to me that we've had our traditional 3/4 years of relative success so I fear its back to being an average League 1 side with the occassional foray into the Championship and a once every 40 years tilt at the top league. The surroundings may have changed but the club does not appear to have broken free from its historical pattern of operating (i.e short periods of success followed by long periods of mediocrity). If true, this is bitterly disappointing given the optimism and positivity created by the Amex and Tony Bloom's chairmanship. I hope I'm wrong - in many ways this season could be make or break though. And its not getting off to a particularly auspicious start with our seeming inability to land key targets.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
So... Just to put it into perspective.

Pogrebnyak will earn more in ONE week than a full time employee on minimum wage will earn in FOUR years!

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007

Derby's wage bill, at the last published point in time, was lower than ours.

Granted, they have now signed Bent, but last season they only had him and Martin as out and out strikers.

We were paying Best, CMS, O'Grady, Colunga, Baldock.

The fact they have a few quality players, rather than loads of sh*t ones, doesn't mean they are breaking the bank.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This, although its really got very little to do with the Board and a great deal to do with Tony Bloom. It seems to me that we've had our traditional 3/4 years of relative success so I fear its back to being an average League 1 side with the occassional foray into the Championship and a once every 40 years tilt at the top league. The surroundings may have changed but the club does not appear to have broken free from its historical pattern of operating (i.e short periods of success followed by long periods of mediocrity). If true, this is bitterly disappointing given the optimism and positivity created by the Amex and Tony Bloom's chairmanship. I hope I'm wrong - in many ways this season could be make or break though. And its not getting off to a particularly auspicious start with our seeming inability to land key targets.

I agree, we might as well set the sat-nav for FLEETWOOD now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does his record in the Championship suggest that he is worth that amount each week, I wouldnt think so. I wouldnt even suggest1/3rd of that based on his record.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
FFP doesn't come into this. Reading are still getting parachute payments and therefore have the money to waste - simples!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Does his record in the Championship suggest that he is worth that amount each week, I wouldnt think so. I wouldnt even suggest1/3rd of that based on his record.
His record in the premier league doesn't warrant that salary either. The lanky Serb/Croatian playing for Brum' was on something equally as ridiculous!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
FFP doesn't come into this. Reading are still getting parachute payments and therefore have the money to waste - simples!
Reading's parachutes reduce to 8m this year, so I'm sure they're far from happy to waste 2.9m of that on a bang average Championship player.

They could be in trouble if they've got many other players on Premier League legacy contracts like this.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Derby's wage bill, at the last published point in time, was lower than ours.

Granted, they have now signed Bent, but last season they only had him and Martin as out and out strikers.

We were paying Best, CMS, O'Grady, Colunga, Baldock.

The fact they have a few quality players, rather than loads of sh*t ones, doesn't mean they are breaking the bank.

Love how you choose to paint that.

So - Colunga 'counts' but Ward and Russell don't?
We 'were paying Best' and Derby were not? Even though he spent longer at Derby last season than at Brighton?
Plus, you are counting the loan wages we paid out to Best, but making no equivalent allowance for the savings made when CMS, O'Grady and most notably Colunga were OUT on loan.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Love how you choose to paint that.

So - Colunga 'counts' but Ward and Russell don't?
We 'were paying Best' and Derby were not? Even though he spent longer at Derby last season than at Brighton?
Plus, you are counting the loan wages we paid out to Best, but making no equivalent allowance for the savings made when CMS, O'Grady and most notably Colunga were OUT on loan.

Read my post.

'Out and out striker'. Ward and Russell were there wingers, they play 1 up top. If you add Russell and Ward onto their forwards, then you can add Texeira, Lua Lua, March and Agustein on ours; all of whom are attacking players.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Read my post.

'Out and out striker'. Ward and Russell were there wingers, they play 1 up top. If you add Russell and Ward onto their forwards, then you can add Texeira, Lua Lua, March and Agustein on ours; all of whom are attacking players.

The only thing he attacked was a buffet.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Go easy on the springy one. We have previously established that he is one of the most negative posters on this board. I have come to regard him as a bellwether; as long as he is negative, doom-laden and gloomy then things are as they should be. It is when he becomes positive that the alarm bells should start ringing. Criticise away, Zebedee, our bouncy friend.

I quite like that. We should rank the most negative and most positive posters. Just dont do it on this thread, i will get told off

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here