Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading - "This season's surprise package"

Have Reading been this season's surprise package?

• Very surprised

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Not surprised in the slightest

Votes: 21 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

silky1

Aug 2, 2004
Macclesfield
It gets me this statement every time I hear it mentioned or see it printed.
Anybody with any knowledge of football outside the premiership would surely not be surprised in the slightest at how well Reading have done?
Or am I wrong

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
Not really suprised as thought they out of the 3 teams would adapt to the prem easier. Would be slightly suprised if they did get a uefa cup spot.

Think they may struggle next tho

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
They would have beaten a fair few Premiersh1te teams last season so hardly a surprise to me.

Made be trickier next season as others have found.

Also think Sunderland will do well next season.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Personally I'd be really pissed off if I was a Reading fan.

OK, they're worth their League position.

But Coppell is blatantly chucking out weakened teams for EVERY Cup competition they're entered in. He plays the reserves against Man U in the FA Cup, he's against fighting for the UEFA Cup place, and he's even dodging the Inter-Toto to commit to Kerry's testimonial.

To repaet, I'd not be that happy if I was a Reading fan. Cos they'll not win the Premiership in the foreseeable. But the fans would surely appreciate a crack at some silverware.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
would have thought they wouldnt go down or be dragged into a relegation battle but suprised at a european cup spot

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I remember seeing MOTD at the beginning of the season, and they were discussing Watford, Sheffield United and Reading. all of them said Sheffield United would be OK, Watford might struggle and Reading needn't bother turning up. Well, not quite, but they might as well have.

To me, it shows a spectacularly breathtaking amount of ignorance amongs so-called pundits about anything doesn't mean indulging in arslikhan the top flight clubs. They are so up their own arses believing the Premiership is the be-all and end-all of football - like nothing else exists.

All they had to do was ask one fan - even a Brighton fan - as to who was the best team in the Championship last season... I mean Reading PISSED it, smashing almost every record on the way.

So in short, I am not surprised in the slightest.

My surprise package in the Premiership is Newcastle for finishing as high as they did.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Quite obvious to me (and probably anyone who had seen them play) that would do ok.

Just like Portsmouth, you get a team who are so far and away better than anybody else in the division you know they will be okay.

I had this discussion with "fans" of Premiership teams who only watch Match of the Day, who didn't believe me.

Not so sure this year though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here