Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading Spending!!

Stumpy Tim

Reading ARE a threat, that is clear now. They are not going away and if they are going to strengthen in January they are likely to be strengthening their threat to us and Newcastle.

Anyone suggesting this is a bad thing for Reading is clueless

We strengthened well last year who's to say Reading won't this year
There's a difference between strengthening and going big. Strengthening is good for them, going big could well backfire.

For example, last season we were definitely light creatively so we bought Knockaert and Skalak. That's strengthening. If Reading go big as the OP suggests I think it'll backfire

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I hesitate to say it but we have been less than convincing recently, so people in glass houses.....as the old cliche goes.

I think there is a tendency for fans whose team plays in the Championship or lower leagues to underestimate how well their teams might be playing. We are served up so much Premier league football and sub consciously we compare our team to them. That them makes us think out team isn't actually as good as we would like them to be.

For the League we are in we have been very good. We have never lost from a winning position and when we go behind we can raise our game and turn it around to a winning position. As Championship teams go we are a very good competent team.

Everyone said when they seen the list of teams in this league at the start of the season that it was going to be one of the toughest ever. I wouldn't be fooled by the fact that because we are the ones at the top of the league that it is any less tough than we had first anticipated. Instead we should pat ourselves on the back and say '' We are topping the Championship in one of the toughest seasons in that league ever''

We are an excellent all round Championship side and because we win conservatively doesn't mean that we are not as good as any flair side. That's just the way the Manager goes about things. He is about efficiency and getting a job done as opposed to ''crowd pleasing'. If the crowd get pleased as a result of his efficiency and that of his players then that even better because only points get you to where we want to go and that's what they are all obtaining at the moment.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think there is a tendency for fans whose team plays in the Championship or lower leagues to underestimate how well their teams might be playing. We are served up so much Premier league football and sub consciously we compare our team to them. That them makes us think out team isn't actually as good as we would like them to be.

For the League we are in we have been very good. We have never lost from a winning position and when we go behind we can raise our game and turn it around to a winning position. As Championship teams go we are a very good competent team.

Everyone said when they seen the list of teams in this league at the start of the season that it was going to be one of the toughest ever. I wouldn't be fooled by the fact that because we are the ones at the top of the league that it is any less tough that we had first anticipated. Instead we should pat ourselves on the back and say '' We are topping the Championship in one of the toughest seasons in that league ever''

We are an excellent all round Championship side and because we win conservatively doesn't mean that we are not as good as any flair side. That's just the way the Manager goes about things. He is about efficiency and getting a job done as opposed to ''crowd pleasing'. If the crowd get pleased as a result of his efficiency and that of his players then that even better because only points get you to where we want to go and that's what they are all obtaining at the moment.

To be clear, I am loving this season. I love the players we have, the spirit we have, the manager we have, the chairman we have and the fact that we can play indifferently and still win. I have no complaints at all but we were outplayed by Fulham a couple of times recently, we got out of jail against Birmingham and we almost got pegged back by Blackburn. We won them all but were we convincing? That is the only point I am making on the strength of Triggaar suggesting that Reading had been lucky.

Pre season I thought we'd struggle to come close to matching last season. You have no idea how chuffed I am with this season!

And you're right this is one tough division this year and we have risen to the top!

Btw I only occasionally watch Premier League matches so am not comparing our players to that league! I don't even like it. This will clearly change if we get there!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Excatly, and you only have to look at the Experimental 3-6-1 site's "E Ratings" to see that.

Based on goals and "good goal scoring opportunities" we have the 4th best attack and the best defence. With expected goals per game of 1.48 & 0.85
Reading on the other hand have the 18th best attack and 21st best defence. Expected goals per game 1.25 for & 1.42 against.

https://experimental361.com/2017/01/02/e-ratings-update-championship-2-jan-2017/
Exactly. It's not rocket science.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
To be clear, I am loving this season. I love the players we have, the spirit we have, the manager we have, the chairman we have and the fact that we can play indifferently and still win. I have no complaints at all but we were outplayed by Fulham a couple of times recently, we got out of jail against Birmingham and we almost got pegged back by Blackburn. We won them all but were we convincing? That is the only point I am making on the strength of Triggaar suggesting that Reading had been lucky.

Pre season I thought we'd struggle to come close to matching last season. You have no idea how chuffed I am with this season!

And you're right this is one tough division this year and we have risen to the top!

Btw I only occasionally watch Premier League matches so am not comparing our players to that league! I don't even like it. This will clearly change if we get there!

I don't know how many times in the last 20 years or so with CH teams, where he soaks up pressure. Lets teams burn themselves out and stay in the match and then step things up for 20 minutes or so and then take all the points home.

I have never ever heard one of his team talks to players but by the way you see his teams play you can sort of guess the gist of them

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
we were outplayed by Fulham a couple of times recently
Fulham are the exception, they played well against us twice, but still we upped our game when it mattered. I could equally point out that we outplayed Cardiff and only didn't beat them because the ref ruled out a perfectly good goal.

we got out of jail against Birmingham and we almost got pegged back by Blackburn.
The Birmingham game was almost a draw, which wouldn't have been a bad result. We were not almost pegged back by Blackburn at all, we were 3-1 up and got sloppy deep into injury time.

We won them all but were we convincing?
Against Birmingham and Fulham, no we weren't. But we've also had easy wins against QPR, Leeds and Norwich.

That is the only point I am making on the strength of Triggaar suggesting that Reading had been lucky.
A couple of tough games where we've dug our results doesn't detract from the decent football we've played. Just check out the stats posted by Yoda.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fulham are the exception, they played well against us twice, but still we upped our game when it mattered. I could equally point out that we outplayed Cardiff and only didn't beat them because the ref ruled out a perfectly good goal.

The Birmingham game was almost a draw, which wouldn't have been a bad result. We were not almost pegged back by Blackburn at all, we were 3-1 up and got sloppy deep into injury time.

Against Birmingham and Fulham, no we weren't. But we've also had easy wins against QPR, Leeds and Norwich.

A couple of tough games where we've dug our results doesn't detract from the decent football we've played. Just check out the stats posted by Yoda.

Fair comments but I haven't said we haven't played decent football! I have been entertained every time I have been this season!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Fair comments but I haven't said we haven't played decent football! I have been entertained every time I have been this season!
I know you're enjoying it all etc, it's just a difference of opinion. I don't think we've been particularly lucky. Of all the teams in the division, I think Reading have.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Excatly, and you only have to look at the Experimental 3-6-1 site's "E Ratings" to see that.

Based on goals and "good goal scoring opportunities" we have the 4th best attack and the best defence. With expected goals per game of 1.48 & 0.85
Reading on the other hand have the 18th best attack and 21st best defence. Expected goals per game 1.25 for & 1.42 against.

https://experimental361.com/2017/01/02/e-ratings-update-championship-2-jan-2017/

I don't understand this. If they concede, on average, more than they score, how are they third?

theroyal

May 11, 2014
No. They're a bunch of Thai asset strippers who know that when they sell, they will make their money back tenfold from the property deal. :facepalm:

I think this is a clear indictation of the Chinese takeover being done. Absolutely no chance the Thai's would bother investing above record transfer fee level if they were just here to asset strip, with the amount of debt the club have (which they've basically indicated they are). I would be very surprised.

As for the player, jury's out, I've not seen much of him but he's good on the ball apparently, something Reading need at the back.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Reading are not actually 3rd. It's a false position, remember?

I saw Reading play twice early season and was not overly impressed but it is fair to say that since then their results have dramatically improved so for me it will be interesting to see them again soon.. Perhaps it took Stam time to stamp (I like that) his mark and way of playing into the players. Or have they player sides when out of form. Either way you can't ignore a fairly decent points haul over half a season

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They can buy who they want. If we keep plugging away like we're doing it won't matter one bit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They can buy who they want. If we keep plugging away like we're doing it won't matter one bit.
Yeah, but having competitors weaken is basically insurance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here