Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading Sack Steve Clarke

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I'm sure one win in the right circumstances would see them back in the play off places they've still got to maintain that.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Only if non of the 3 teams above them win, and Reading have played a game more too.

That cant happen though they cant all win their remaining games because they still have to play each other plus the teams above them. An good winning run would put them well in the reckoning and one would assume the incoming manager will be given funds in January to strengthen. This must be their thinking to sack him now.

Green Man

Dec 22, 2014
BN2
I normally try to resist slagging off Reading as historically their status isn't that different from ours. But my first thought on hearing about Clarke's sacking is they do seem to have developed a MASSIVE sense of entitlement since spending a couple of years in the top division.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
It's weird, isn't it.

Reading have the 3rd top scorer in the division.

QPR have the 4th top scorer in the division.

Both clubs are underachieving and sacked their manager. We have no definitive goalscorer and are top.

Sometimes the "need for a goalscorer" is over-exaggerated.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Dead man walking since discussions with Fulham.

Surprised he lasted so long.

Don't really care who they appoint, more concerned about beating Charlton and going 14 points clear of them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That cant happen though they cant all win their remaining games because they still have to play each other plus the teams above them.
What? What are you talking about winning all remaining games for? If Reading won all their remaining games they'd finish as champions on 108 points.

You said 'They will get to the play off with a new manager as they are only 1 win away.' - if you meant that you think they will finish in the playoffs, then they are 3 points behind, having played a game more. Not as simple as '1 win away'.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
I normally try to resist slagging off Reading as historically their status isn't that different from ours. But my first thought on hearing about Clarke's sacking is they do seem to have developed a MASSIVE sense of entitlement since spending a couple of years in the top division.

Nothing to do with entitlement. It was the performance rather than the result last night that was the telling blow, the players were not interested and haven't wanted to play for the manager since his public talks with Fulham (by the way, a job he was ready to take until he went back with bonus demands which were turned down, so he decided "Reading was the best club for him at this time"), the fans had turned on him too. His position was untenable and a couple of bad results were enough.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
The impression I got last night was that the Mad one wanted a sacking to go with his 25-year anniversary safeguarding Berkshire's boredom (smug on-pitch parade notwithstanding). A dreary home loss wasn't ceremonious enough for him.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Talk to Fulham...........and in two weeks you get sacked. Thems the rules.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Nothing to do with entitlement. It was the performance rather than the result last night that was the telling blow, the players were not interested and haven't wanted to play for the manager since his public talks with Fulham (by the way, a job he was ready to take until he went back with bonus demands which were turned down, so he decided "Reading was the best club for him at this time"), the fans had turned on him too. His position was untenable and a couple of bad results were enough.

Yeah it's a bit shite when another club comes in and unsettles your manager isn't it?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
To be fair, I don't think he did himself any favours by agreeing to talk to Fulham. When he turned down their offer he put himself in an unwinnable position. The directors of Reading Football Club would have immediately started questioning his loyalty.

I totally agree..................Why would they show any loyalty to someone who was ''treading water'' at best. I would see the point if he was blazing a trail with them, he would have had some bargaining power

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
Pearson would be a good choice and if he goes there they will definitely make the play offs.

No guarantee of that at all. He did a great job at Leicester in the end (despite being a bit of a nutter), but let's not forget that they only just scraped into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth the season before they were promoted after a bad run of results. The majority of posters on their forum at that time were vociferously calling for his head.

I wish people would stop this "that manager did well recently so he's guaranteed to do well wherever" nonsense as there's usually nothing in it.

Adkins was great now he's shit.
Sherwood was great now he's shit.
Pulis was the shittest of the shit, then the best manager in world football, and now at West Brom nobody mentions him anymore.

The list goes on.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Peason name was certainly newsworthy in Thailand a while back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here