Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading not a sellout?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I remember Naylor running a piece before we had moved in, saying fans that were disappointed about the (initial) 20,000 capacity should be realistic, as we would not get near selling that out for at least a decade. ****.

well he was right then.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
To me it certainly seems they pitched the ground size spot on. In a situation as good as it can get, winning most weeks playing exciting stuff and right in there, we still struggle for 30k. Excellent planning.

Yeah would agree with that, although if we can eventually sustain a Premier League position I think around 35,000 capacity would be about right. But a decision had to be taken while we were in League One and a good decision it was!

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I think there a re very few people who want to see a game who are missing out at the moment. The Amex does indeed seemed to have been pitched at the right amount. I think we now have around 20,000 who would come regardless of division and we'd sell out if we were in the top division.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I know a couple of people who are not going as the britfloyd are on at the centre and therefore they are watching the game in the pub on west street.

Wouldn't surprise me if there are gaps in the crowd on Saturday given the stupid ko time and it's on sky.

Well, if there are only a matter of 300 or 400 seats left for sale, there shouldn't be too many gaps!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Currently 415 seats available to buy for Reading game.

North Stand (completely) and whole of West Stand (practically) are SOLD OUT.
East Stand has only approx. 130 seats available.
South Stand and corners (inc. NW shelf) will probably have about 600-800 empty seats between segregation and unsold.

Announced crowd always seems to be a few hundred lower than predicted on here based on seats left available to buy and a guess at segregation.

My guess: 29,458

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Because there is also a policy of trying to alternate Saturday home and aways.

There would be plenty of unhappy NSCers if we got into a stretch of games where all the home ones were midweek and all the away ones were Saturdays.

Already feels like that.

Which got me to thinking. We are always told that the games have to be moved at the behest of Sky. BUT. Sky is clearly desperate for the product (or they wouldn't pay so much for it). This does actually then give the clubs, through the FL board, some significant bargaining power. What we therefore need is a FL Board with balls to stand up to Sky to have fewer games moved, and certainly fewer games moved at relatively short notice. Schedule the tv matches at the start of the season then everybody knows where they are. Plans can be made well in advance. Would certainly help with away games. Moving then from Saturday 3pm to Friday evenings at short notice is a 'mare.

BTW, can anybody explain the reason why Saturday 3pm kick-offs can't be televised? I know "its the rules". But why? Let's say we are playing on tv at 3pm on a Saturday. Are STHs of other clubs not going to watch their team because we are on tv? Of course not. So anybody know the answer?

And if we cant kick-off at 3pm on Saturday, why not move kick-off to, say, Saturday 2.30? At least then the inconvenience is minimised.

spoonie

Apr 19, 2011
Already feels like that.

Which got me to thinking. We are always told that the games have to be moved at the behest of Sky. BUT. Sky is clearly desperate for the product (or they wouldn't pay so much for it). This does actually then give the clubs, through the FL board, some significant bargaining power. What we therefore need is a FL Board with balls to stand up to Sky to have fewer games moved, and certainly fewer games moved at relatively short notice. Schedule the tv matches at the start of the season then everybody knows where they are. Plans can be made well in advance. Would certainly help with away games. Moving then from Saturday 3pm to Friday evenings at short notice is a 'mare.

BTW, can anybody explain the reason why Saturday 3pm kick-offs can't be televised? I know "its the rules". But why? Let's say we are playing on tv at 3pm on a Saturday. Are STHs of other clubs not going to watch their team because we are on tv? Of course not. So anybody know the answer?

And if we cant kick-off at 3pm on Saturday, why not move kick-off to, say, Saturday 2.30? At least then the inconvenience is minimised.

Just imagine all the lower league and non league teams ! IF Man Utd were playing live on TV it would have a massive impact on there attendance - 3pm games must never been shown on TV

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just imagine all the lower league and non league teams ! IF Man Utd were playing live on TV it would have a massive impact on there attendance - 3pm games must never been shown on TV

Man Utd kick off next weekend against Bournemouth at 12:30 on Saturday. How is anyone who isn't going to go to a game if Man Utd kicked off at 3pm in a televised game that much more likely to go match having watched them till 2:30 from the comfort of their armchair. If a televised 3pm TV kick off would effect attendances that much, a 12:30 kick off is just as likely. Those same people are even more unlikely to attend games with Liverpool vs Arsenal on at 5:30 that evening as well.

I agree that 3pm Saturday games shouldn't be televised live but I don't think the possible down turn in attendances at other games is a valid argument for them not happening. Certainly not while the current TV schedule allows for Saturday lunchtime and evening kick offs which are just as likely to discourage an armchair fan from going to a local game.

Last edited:

I remember Naylor running a piece before we had moved in, saying fans that were disappointed about the (initial) 20,000 capacity should be realistic, as we would not get near selling that out for at least a decade. ****.

I recall giving evidence at the final public inquiry into the Falmer Stadium planning application to the effect that a city like Brighton and Hove could realistically expect attendances at home matches to be not very different from what Leicester City might expect.

I'm not sure whether the comparison meets the test of time, but I'm not surprised to see demand for more than 30,000 occurring for big games at this stage in a season like this.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The 5 week rolling announcement in place now seems OK. It wouldn't be realistic to announce all the televised fixtures at the start of the season as Sky are buying a product that needs to be exciting to get decent viewing figures. How many Huddersfield games would've been picked this season if they had made their TV picks pre season. Viewing figures will be better for games with something at stake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here