Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading, Millwall, Rotherham

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I don't claim to have been to every away game since 1976 and recall the details of each. I am not seeking to demonstrate that I am a superfan, unlike the clear purpose of this reply.

However, for me personally, I can't recall 3 consecutive away games that I have attended that have been so spineless. Roll on the end of the season.

I suspect the comment about players knowing they are off is not far from the truth.

PG

This is the point for me. So many disappointing away performances, so close together. Most of Hughton's nine away games in charge have ranged from the very ordinary to the pitiful. Blackburn was an exception but fans who have been to all nine will struggle to think of another game that gave them any cause to get excited.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I don't claim to have been to every away game since 1976 and recall the details of each. I am not seeking to demonstrate that I am a superfan, unlike the clear purpose of this reply.

PG

You are somewhat misguided, the purpose of the reply was no more than demonstrate that games in the recent past are not the worst ever, as clearly any game in the dark days when we were just fulfilling fixtures rather than putting out a team that was likely to win would be poorer. Maybe your current higher expectations bring you to the conclusion that you arrived at.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
You are somewhat misguided, the purpose of the reply was no more than demonstrate that games in the recent past are not the worst ever, as clearly any game in the dark days when we were just fulfilling fixtures rather than putting out a team that was likely to win would be poorer. Maybe your current higher expectations bring you to the conclusion that you arrived at.

I do take your point, S150. I am not a whinger and totally agree that things were far worse in the dark days. Kingstonian is proably my single game lowlight. Maybe it's my memory, or maybe I didn't go to so many aways when my kids were small in the '90s, but it has been pitiful away the last few weeks. I've come to expect a good day out spoiled by 90 minutes on the pitch. My Cheshire Seagulls friends seriously considered going for curry in Sheffield rather than to the match. I will be at the homes,but I'm swerving Wigan and 'Boro. UTA.

PG

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
This is the point for me. So many disappointing away performances, so close together. Most of Hughton's nine away games in charge have ranged from the very ordinary to the pitiful. Blackburn was an exception but fans who have been to all nine will struggle to think of another game that gave them any cause to get excited.

I don't think that even the Blackburn game was an exception in how we were set up and how we performed (although Tex ran about with the ball a bit more).
What was the exception was that Blackburn scored, but we did not concede! Plus: Stockdale, post and a bit of luck.

SeagullCrow

May 9, 2008
While I'm very much looking forward to seeing the team that Hughton builds over the summer (and I'm confident that Bloom will open his cheque book to support him), my concern is that he's going to have a very limited budget with which to work. It would have to take an enormous investment by the Board to fund all of the positions we need to fill, and I just can't see that happening. I just hope we can be realistic about our aspirations over the next couple of seasons (although I doubt that many on NSC have that degree of patience).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here