Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading FC - polite warning

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If Reading wasn't a new town it should have been.

Reading is a very old town - much older than Brighton. I'd distinguish between the town and the club. I quite like the town, I've been there a lot. Three of my friends, at some point, have lived in the place so I've spent lots of weekends there. I also used to go to WOMAD when it was based in Reading and have visited countless times for work.Always thought it was a pleasant day out.

The club on the other hand... plastic team in a plastic stadium. I used to like going to Elm Park, a proper football ground but the current one is just awful. Love them to go down

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I never really thought about Reading until this season. Sure, their 7th place pitch invasion was funny but it didn't cause my opinion of them to rise nor fall.

This season though, with them harping on and on about us not having played any decent teams really ramped up my disdain for them such that they now rank 2nd below Palace and above Blackburn.

Now now lad! There's nowt wrong with t'Blackburn....... Now them there racist homophobes at t'Burnley's another matter entirely - fookin' hate 'em!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Now now lad! There's nowt wrong with t'Blackburn....... Now them there racist homophobes at t'Burnley's another matter entirely - fookin' hate 'em!

My workmate comes from Blackburn but lives down here, has done for quite a few years, he would never go back just visits relatives. The town is split, one side keeps to it's side and the other the same. He really appreciates this area.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
When people sing it I laugh and join in. Because it is a sh*thole and despite living here for 10 years it will never be home! Also, the laughter helps to hide the tears

The station roof novelty wears off.

The town is full of down and outs and just frankly weird people

We are currently buying a new house and it is so difficult to find a 'nice' party of Reading. As such we are moving out to Pamber Heath (currently in the nice but overpriced Fords Farm/Calcot area)

The football club is a joke, their fans are arrogant and cocky, I used to go to the Madejski Stadium for work events - their staff are the same.

They lorded the Vydra signing over me - he is rubbish (this year), They lorded the Orlando Sa signing - he left after a couple of months

The keep applying for city status - it barely has an infrastructure to support is itself currently. Reading is not a city

They are building an IKEA here - there is one in Croydon what does that tell you about the places they pick?

I hate the town, the people and the football club

But I met my wife here and had our son who after watching Brighton beat Bolton is a converted Brighton fan and says he doesn't want to go and watch Reading anymore.

Ha ha - I feel your pain. Good luck with the house hunting . We live in Lower Caversham. Our very local area is actually OK, and it's nice being near the river for running and walks etc. House prices have shot up, but probably still have a bit to go because of crossrail, so may be worth a look?
I've noticed there are a few Albion exiles. We should get together to watch an Albion match that's on telly. All we need is a decent pub,.....

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I’ve said on here before how much I dislike Reading. They are a despicable club. I’ve never read Albion fans saying they are to be admired, but there is some Reading goon who has taken it upon himself to join our forum and post about them. I don’t like that, I’m not interested in Reading’s fans views about how great they are or what they think of us. He’s entitled to his opinion but post it on his own team’s forum.

The one thing I do like about Reading is that when they had their pitch invasion because they thought they’d got to the play offs, some lad was doing one arm push ups on the pitch. That still makes me laugh just thinking about it.

thisistips

Oct 17, 2010
Away away away
Actually, the station is pretty good. It's particularly handy when the train you want isn't cancelled. Which it frequently is.

I lived there for four years during the Elm Park years. I can honestly say that the best things about Reading are what's outside of it. Ie leaving to go into the countryside: Oxfordshire, Berkshire, Sonning, Henley etc etc. Reading itself is a remarkable dump with some really nasty elements. However, when we were at Withdean I was jealous of their new stadium. Not any more though.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Ha ha - I feel your pain. Good luck with the house hunting . We live in Lower Caversham. Our very local area is actually OK, and it's nice being near the river for running and walks etc. House prices have shot up, but probably still have a bit to go because of crossrail, so may be worth a look?
I've noticed there are a few Albion exiles. We should get together to watch an Albion match that's on telly. All we need is a decent pub,.....

I would definitely be up for that, alas the main issue would be the decent pub!

I used to work along Friary Street in Bar Four (Now Matchbox) so knew the guys at O'Neils, that was always good for watching in as they would put down the big screen for me if it was an Albion game.

I was in Starbucks once having some coffee with my 25 sugars and a guy walking passed spotted my Albion shirt - started waving through the window and thumbs up etc. My wife thought it was madness that I wasn't the only fan in Reading. It made me happier about the place for a minute or two

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Recently on this forum I have noticed a growing number of comments suggesting that Reading FC are in some way a club to aspire to, ‘likeable' or even a ‘big club’.

I can't say I've ever seen such comments, fortunately!

Reading is a very old town - much older than Brighton. I'd distinguish between the town and the club. I quite like the town, I've been there a lot. Three of my friends, at some point, have lived in the place so I've spent lots of weekends there. I also used to go to WOMAD when it was based in Reading and have visited countless times for work.Always thought it was a pleasant day out.

The club on the other hand... plastic team in a plastic stadium. I used to like going to Elm Park, a proper football ground but the current one is just awful. Love them to go down
It's a horrible town! Except perhaps for Caversham, but then that's, er Caversham.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
We started when all the odds defied us
Through passion and dreams we reached new heights
We were marching proudly from Elm Park into the stadium
We forced our rivals to make way
Pre chorus
Now we’re here and we’re strong, we’re going to bring it on
Can you hear when we shout come on

We will fight til the end, they call us the Royals
With our might we’ll defend, the glory of Reading
Like the kings of our land, they call us the Royals
Let us sing every man, we stand by the Royals

We rise to the challenge of our rivals
We’re fighting the butterflies tonight
It’s our moment, feel the expectations rising
We smell a victory today

How we love the thrill of a good game
How we like the smell of the fame
Doesn’t matter if we learn or win
Unstoppably we burn within
Getting ready to shed our sweat
Everybody get ready and set
Let’s celebrate tonight. Or blood is blue our wings are white.

Blue and white, blue and white, blue and white
Give us blue and white, blue and white. Everybody come on.

Like the kings of our land. they call us the Royals
Let us sing every man, we stand by the Royals

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Caversham isn't bad. I had a girlfriend that lived in Southcote years ago, going to hers for the first time was a bit of a shock..

Fortunately, the only reason I have to go to Reading these days is when I fancy a jaunt to Five Guys in the Oracle, which is a shining beacon of light in a sea of shite.

Oh and I also cannot stand Reading FC.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I suspect that there is an identical thread on biscuitmanchat where you could change the word Reading to Brighton.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Absolute nothing club. Win the Champions League and they'd still be an insipid irrelevance as far as the footballing world was concerned.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's a horrible town! Except perhaps for Caversham, but then that's, er Caversham.

But why? People say it's horrible but no-one ever says why. It's a decent size (about the same as B&H), it's got some good pubs and is on two rivers, so there are plenty of riverside walks. And there's some excellent countryside in the surrounding area - good place, all in all.

If you want to see some horrible towns head off down the motorway, in either direction, and take in Bracknell, Swindon and Slough

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When people sing it I laugh and join in. Because it is a sh*thole and despite living here for 10 years it will never be home! Also, the laughter helps to hide the tears

The station roof novelty wears off.

The town is full of down and outs and just frankly weird people

We are currently buying a new house and it is so difficult to find a 'nice' party of Reading. As such we are moving out to Pamber Heath (currently in the nice but overpriced Fords Farm/Calcot area)

The football club is a joke, their fans are arrogant and cocky, I used to go to the Madejski Stadium for work events - their staff are the same.

They lorded the Vydra signing over me - he is rubbish (this year), They lorded the Orlando Sa signing - he left after a couple of months

The keep applying for city status - it barely has an infrastructure to support is itself currently. Reading is not a city

They are building an IKEA here - there is one in Croydon what does that tell you about the places they pick?

I hate the town, the people and the football club

But I met my wife here and had our son who after watching Brighton beat Bolton is a converted Brighton fan and says he doesn't want to go and watch Reading anymore.

See, there is hope, even if you do have to live in Reading (for which you have my deepest sympathy). Went by car to the last game, you can't even escape the bloody place quickly. Junior played at a football tournament there several years ago in their indoor school - the manager of what I think was the most local team (Eldon Celtic ??) was an arrogant gobby ****. Beat them in the final and brought 'their' trophy back to Sussex :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here