Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading fans not expecting much

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Copied this off Tony Kempsters Non League Forum (where are you going? Section)

Royals v Seagulls

... the self-styled 'Biggest club in the South', come to town; doubtless already griping we haven't given them three sides of our ground to accommodate their vast hordes of tens of thousands of travelling fans.

Where do they get this idea?

And "4 - 0 to the Biggest club in Europe" (referring to us).
Maybe a total 'whoosh' moment for me.

News to me n all. But clearly feathers are/were ruffled - see below 'the Brighton support diminished superbly'. What an odd chap.

And for every argumentative oh so clever c*nt on here that wants to spout off about the guy having a point, pretendences etc ... just bore off. His argument has more holes in it than there were empty seats on that awful night at The Amex.

Grudge Moment

December 2005, Brighton arrive at the Madejski hoping to put the brakes on the Royal's spectacular form. The Seagulls, of course, were still managed by Mark McGhee and went home with their feathers well and truly plucked after a 5-1 mauling. And true to form, McGhee couldn't resist but have a pop at the Reading public who he insisted should "take a long hard look at themselves" for the temerity of not filling every seat at the Madejski that day. It was typical of the man to have a pop having been on the receiving end of what he considered unwarranted stick after his ignominious departure in December 94.

And in similar fashion, the Brighton supporters also seem to have this obsession with match attendances, shamefacedly insisting that their own level of support is far superior to that of Royals fans and would never diminish in the face of less than successful seasons, using the comparison of the opening 2-3 seasons against the same period at the Amex as their evidence (as if a side just relegated to a division lower than their own before their move is going to achieve higher gates than a side promoted to the higher level). Lo and behold, Sami Hyypia arrives as manager and a Monday evening defeat at the Amex to Millwall showed vast swathes of empty seats as the Brighton support diminished superbly. Brighton's supporters really are no different to those of Reading's, and those of whom were around at the time remember the early 80's and our own fight to maintain our very identity. It is an irritating facet of a club that needs to get over its inferiority complex and know their place in the historical footballing pecking order -€” 46 years of which has been alongside the Royals.

Extract from: http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/2016/8/19/12562976/the-oppo-brighton-and-hove-albion

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good that Reading find us irritating, they have been irritating me for years and with the capture of Norwood we have finally turned the tables on them. We may not be the biggest club in the South but I suggest we are bigger than Reading now...nice.

On my fa cup journey 14/15 the most ignorant fans i had the pleasure of sharing my trip with were the reading fans(exception to the reading fan who sorted semi ticket)
Gutted when Bradford lost to these guys!

Attachments

• 084.jpg
    084.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 345

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Wasn't it Reading fans who stormed the pitch at the end of one season, thinking they had been promoted?

Oh, and what about that Reading theme song that's just pure jokes?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here