Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reading Evening Post piece

Blue and White

Jul 5, 2003
Coppell to say yes to Royals

COPPELL - Could be new Reading manager by tomorrow
STEVE COPPELL looks set to be named Reading’s new boss in the next couple of days.
It is understood the Brighton manager initially turned down the chance to succeed Alan Pardew because he was unhappy with the personal terms.
But talks have continued successfully, and unless Coppell has a dramatic change of heart, he should be unveiled by Royals tomorrow or on Wednesday.
Nothing will happen today as Coppell, whose Brighton side went top of the Second Division on Saturday after a 3-0 win over Blackpool, is in Manchester for a series of routine stress tests organised by the League Managers’ Association.
He will return south later today and will meet with Reading chief executive Nigel Howe to finalise details.
Coppell is said to be very happy on the south coast, but the deciding factor could be Seagulls’ problems over a new stadium.
The club are waiting on permission from the local council to build a new 22,000 all-seater stadium in Falmer at a cost of £45m.
Although the club is likely to be given the go-ahead, the stadium will take at least two or three years to complete.
In the meantime Brighton have to play at the Withdean Stadium, which holds less than 7,000 people, most of whom are accommodated in temporary stands.
Coppell said: “Like any manager and footballer I’m ambitious. I want to test my skills at the highest level.
“But I am torn as I’ve got something great going here at Brighton.
“If we had the ground then, to be honest, leaving wouldn’t be an issue.”
Reading don’t have a game until a week tomorrow now that Saturday’s trip to Burnley has been postponed.
Reading director of football Nicky Hammond said this morning: “Things have moved forward over the weekend and I think we would be in a position to announce something tomorrow or Wednesday.
“Having Saturday’s game against Burnley being called off is useful as it gives the new man a little bit of time to get his feet under the table, work with the players and staff and watch videos of our last few games.”
Kevin Dillon has been informed he has not been given the job, but he will return to Reading today following a death in his family.
He is likely to be kept on as assistant boss.
He and the rest of the coaching staff, are due to have talks with the new manager this week.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
""Coppell to say yes to Royals ""

leads into

""and unless Coppell has a dramatic change of heart, he should be unveiled by Royals tomorrow or on Wednesday.""

this tittle tattle is really getting on my man boobs !!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No rush, take your time SC, Reading haven't got a game for two weeks :angry:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Its all the same old news being recycled over and over again.

Every article says the same tihng and no one really knows.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
this tittle tattle is really getting on my man boobs !!!! [/B][/QUOTE]

LOL!!!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Just a thought....

Coppell has been stringing them along saying he's going to think about it and just before the press conference says, Sorry JM but I don't want it.
That's revenge for how you messed us about last season with Sidwell and Rougier.

No I don't believe it either but would love it to happen

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
The most annoying thing is despite all this stadium bollox, Reading only got 12,000 fans on Saturday.

f*** all this 22,000 business, when a crowd is as quiet as them and done even bother coming out unless its a big game its sounds like a morgue.

So we might have the 7,000 capacity but thats still only 5,000 below them and our away support is second to none.

Whoever takes over doesnt know how lucky he is.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
agree with tinx, same facts everyone knows, different version. I want to hear it from SC himself

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Where the fu-k did 2-3 years come from as if that is the case then coppell should go.

I don't care what anyone says it should take no more than 18 months to fu-king build.:angry: :angry: :angry:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
The thing that's been amusing me most about this whole affair is Coppell's attempt to claim the moral high-ground with his comments about the proposed new stadium.

He's claiming publicly that he wouldn't be leaving Albion if you had the stadium, and yet everyone knows that the real reason he's not already Reading's manager is that he's been haggling over his personal terms.

I think most football fans accept that players and managers have to be mercenaries in this day and age - it's in the nature of their jobs. But sometimes they don't half take the piss when they talk to the press......

Last edited:

Yorkie said:
Just a thought....

Coppell has been stringing them along saying he's going to think about it and just before the press conference says, Sorry JM but I don't want it.
That's revenge for how you messed us about last season with Sidwell and Rougier.

No I don't believe it either but would love it to happen

Oh Pleeeeeeeeeeease let that happen!

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
berkshire seagull said:
Where the fu-k did 2-3 years come from as if that is the case then coppell should go.

I don't care what anyone says it should take no more than 18 months to fu-king build.:angry: :angry: :angry:

middlsbrough built the riverside in 9 months.
its only fields for gods sake.i cant see this 2-3 years.I think financing it has a big factor here.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
maybe....

DK wants the compensation

what if Coppell takes Booker with him? then starts cherry picking our players?

and...wasn't Coppell aware of the Falmer situation when he signed the new contract in the Summer?

Coppell's given too many mixed messages in the past week. If he wants to stay he'll stay. Is there any other club with as much potential as the Albion? and if the council/Prescott do their jobs, it's just around the corner

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
the Chortling Bluetit (sorry about that lb - it's just a great name) is right.

It is personal terms they are discussing. Unless SC has a sudden conscience attack, and they pass.

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
I don't like long goodbyes.

Steve if you want to manage Reading, then goodbye.

Don't muck us about, the Albion are a lot bigger than you and will be here long after you've had your final Chairman's vote of confidence.

Dick Knight - appoint someone who really wants to manage this club and who shares your vision. No more big time Charlie's please.

My hope is that Coppell is educating himself about Reading's history and he's just got to the bit about Robin Friday's departure to Cardiff City.

He'll turn up at the Madjeski pissed out of his head and in police custody.

It's one way to make your reputation.

:lolol:

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Being a director

timbha said:
maybe....

DK wants the compensation

what if Coppell takes Booker with him? then starts cherry picking our players?

and...wasn't Coppell aware of the Falmer situation when he signed the new contract in the Summer?

Coppell's given too many mixed messages in the past week. If he wants to stay he'll stay. Is there any other club with as much potential as the Albion? and if the council/Prescott do their jobs, it's just around the corner

Just think if you were in charge. I personally want Mr. Coppell to stay, but if I was Madjeski, and he had been holding out I might just tell him to stay here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here