Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Re: Closure of NSC ticket exchange

Feb 14, 2010
Yes, unless it's 1901.

Is it really? Just amazing what football has come to. I have no idea why you people bother these days. There seems to be some regulation that will stop law abiding people do many things at Brighton these days. Whether its standing up with like minded individuals in the North Stand to giving a spare ticket to a friend / member of the family when you cant make it. Good luck to all of you but I just wouldnt bother with it all if I was you.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
It is illegal to advertise tickets for sale, but it is not illegal to ask on the ticket exchange if anyone has a spare ticket. If someone replies via a PM then I don't think the law will have been broken.

From the Act:-

reference to selling a ticket includes a reference to—

(i)offering to sell a ticket;
(ii)exposing a ticket for sale;
(iii)making a ticket available for sale by another;
(iv)advertising that a ticket is available for purchase; and
(v)giving a ticket to a person who pays or agrees to pay for some other goods or services or offering to do so.]

(b)a “ticket” means anything which purports to be a ticket

Last edited:

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
So for example, if someone grassed me up that different people were in mine and my son's normal seats one week, what would the penalty be?

That's not true.
The club are saying that you can not sell your ticket. I have 2 season tickets one of which is a child. The child ticket is in my name and the club say that I can take anyone under 18. I did this because I have children and they do not want to come to every game, so they share it around. The club have an issue with people selling their ST through internet sites etc, not with the ones who very occasionally give it to a family member or friend to use

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Fair enough, what I (clumsily) was trying to say that NSC is not guilty of committing the crime, no more than the telephone company is for the call that seals the deal.........I think.

But on that basis neither was the ticket exchange as its clear a NSC user not the NSC executive was advertising or buying a ticket. In terms of the legislation NSC is not really any less suceptible to be prosecuted than it was when the ticket exchange operated. Not that there was any chance of NSC being prosecuted, given the police's views on the matter.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
But on that basis neither was the ticket exchange as its clear a NSC user not the NSC executive was advertising or buying a ticket. In terms of the legislation NSC is not really any less suceptible to be prosecuted than it was when the ticket exchange operated. Not that there was any chance of NSC being prosecuted, given the police's views on the matter.

The trouble is the club does not have to prosecute, however they can remove ST from people. I think people on here think oh the club will not get the police involved so carry on. Then what will happen is that they will make example of a few people. Catch a few take away their ST and I think you will find that will deal with the problem, no cost involved in that. It is part of the T&Cs of a ST, so nobody can have any complaints.turning a blind eye to people occasionally letting friends and family have use of a ST is one thing, allowing a website to advertise the sell of ST is another and clearly against the T&Cs of a ST.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The trouble is the club does not have to prosecute, however they can remove ST from people. I think people on here think oh the club will not get the police involved so carry on. Then what will happen is that they will make example of a few people. Catch a few take away their ST and I think you will find that will deal with the problem, no cost involved in that. It is part of the T&Cs of a ST, so nobody can have any complaints.turning a blind eye to people occasionally letting friends and family have use of a ST is one thing, allowing a website to advertise the sell of ST is another and clearly against the T&Cs of a ST.
But we're all friends here! Or to put it another way a lot of us know each other in real life as we've met up for REMF, sponsored games etc and we do use NSC to keep in contact. So if someone like Alan Wares ('The Large One') who knows absolutely everybody were to put an announcement on here that he couldn't make the game on Saturday and would one of his friends like his ticket, would that be ok? Or would you insist that he emails/texts/PMs everybody individually and privately?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Re: Closure of NSC ticket exchange

There is a cost. Lots of disgruntled fans who now won't buy a season ticket. I already know 3 fans that aren't going to buy season tickets next year but pick and choose their games because there is generally plenty of tickets available. This sort of move would surely encourage more of the same.

They might get some of the money back from individual ticket sales but is sure to hit their bottom line.

And also it isn't what they've done here. They reminded bozza of the law, not of the ticket t+c's.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
There is a cost. Lots of disgruntled fans who now won't buy a season ticket. I already know 3 fans that aren't going to buy season tickets next year but pick and choose their games because there is generally plenty of tickets available. This sort of move would surely encourage more of the same.

They might get some of the money back from individual ticket sales but is sure to hit their bottom line.

And also it isn't what they've done here. They reminded bozza of the law, not of the ticket t+c's.

I'm thinking of not renewing as generally can't make midweeks but have been successful in selling on here. If I did give up my ST (and the Mrs) I'd then become selective about my Saturday games too I think. There might be an argument to say that I might miss out on the "blockbuster" games but they are few and far between and I'm prepared to take my chance. Very short sighted of the club to flex its muscles in this way for the sake of what looks like a fairly small number of exchanges per game

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
ok maybe a way round it ... like this example only....

4e67800c4821b.jpg

VS

50a4de1163e02.jpg

x 2 pm me for further details

Redbourn Seagull

Jan 20, 2010
I'm thinking of not renewing as generally can't make midweeks but have been successful in selling on here. If I did give up my ST (and the Mrs) I'd then become selective about my Saturday games too I think. There might be an argument to say that I might miss out on the "blockbuster" games but they are few and far between and I'm prepared to take my chance. Very short sighted of the club to flex its muscles in this way for the sake of what looks like a fairly small number of exchanges per game

I'm in the same boat, I live in Cambridge, I have 2 STs in the WSU, but I am finding the rearrange games and the Mid week games (as I wait as I do not like leaving early), a bit of a bind! The two home games I have missed this season I have managed to find someone through NSC who would like to use the tickets, it now seems I am breaking the law, a shame but I will now have to give some real consideration to my ST re-newel.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I'm in the same boat, I live in Cambridge, I have 2 STs in the WSU, but I am finding the rearrange games and the Mid week games (as I wait as I do not like leaving early), a bit of a bind! The two home games I have missed this season I have managed to find someone through NSC who would like to use the tickets, it now seems I am breaking the law, a shame but I will now have to give some real consideration to my ST re-newel.

Yeah well sadly guys welcome to the New Brighton. The club doesn't want you as STHs if you're prepared to defraud the club like that. Shame on you, just buy your STs as usual and be happy to waste the odd ticket.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

There is a waiting list for STs, so the club would not have much trouble filling them. I bet Newcastle will be very close to a sale out, and that is a level playing field, in the fact everybody will pay the same price. There is always somebody willing to get a season ticket. I am also aware of what they have reminded Bozza of, and as has been said on here, I would not think the club would follow that route. I would expect them to make examples of people by removing their ST. I would think people are resourceful enough to find ways around this, therefore I can not see anything changing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
theres an official ticket exchange now so this "i wont buy a ST because i cant get to all games" is a bit silly as you can still pass on your ticket. this issue is like the standing thing, everyone getting indignat at the club because they turned a blind eye to something for while, people werent very discreet about it now they have to be seen to enforce the law. you arent allowed to sell on tickets to football. its shit, but thats the law, why its this the clubs fault?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yeah well sadly guys welcome to the New Brighton. The club doesn't want you as STHs if you're prepared to defraud the club like that. Shame on you, just buy your STs as usual and be happy to waste the odd ticket.

LOL ... you should be in the commercial dept. I'm missing 6 games this season so no financial logic for buying a ST next. Then I won't bother with some of the less attractive games and my defence against some family stuff/weekends away would have been greatly reduced. So now I might make 10 games instead of 23 (paid for) .... you do the maths, if that prevents me from "defrauding" the club then I'm happy to fall in line

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
theres an official ticket exchange now so this "i wont buy a ST because i cant get to all games" is a bit silly as you can still pass on your ticket. this issue is like the standing thing, everyone getting indignat at the club because they turned a blind eye to something for while, people werent very discreet about it now they have to be seen to enforce the law. you arent allowed to sell on tickets to football. its shit, but thats the law, why its this the clubs fault?

But the exchange hasn't come into operation much, and even less likely now there are more seats.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
But we're all friends here! Or to put it another way a lot of us know each other in real life as we've met up for REMF, sponsored games etc and we do use NSC to keep in contact. So if someone like Alan Wares ('The Large One') who knows absolutely everybody were to put an announcement on here that he couldn't make the game on Saturday and would one of his friends like his ticket, would that be ok? Or would you insist that he emails/texts/PMs everybody individually and privately?

How is this going to effect you then, I make most games and some away games. If I could not make it, I have a few friends that I could text or e-mail to see if they want it. No need to advertise on here and draw attention to it. The problem on here is that people have drawn attention to the fact, which leaves the club with little else to do but to try and stop it. The way forward is to open a thread for a couple of days and maybe people could leave an e-mail address as a contact should any tickets become available. People could then build a network of people who they could privately and away from here sort out tickets.
As you say you know a lot of people on here, so I would assume you have their contact details should the need arise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here