Re: Closure of NSC ticket exchange

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
That's the point though, they aren't getting in for free as the seat has already been paid for. What the club want to be able to do is get 150% of the face value by selling it again via their exchange.

And who was that keeping hassling the club about setting up there own ticket exchange?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Can someone just set up a twitter account for exchanging tickets?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Can someone just set up a twitter account for exchanging tickets?

No need for an 'account'. Just use the hashtag. Er, can't remember what it is.

But as I said previously, I think you're better off forming private (email/Facebook) groups with fans that sit around you and friends/family.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
If the club sell you a ticket they get to keep nearly all of that money (as match costs are pretty much fixed for 19000 or 20000). What do they (or the catering company) make on food and drink sales 50% ?
I just don't think it's as beneficial to the club for people to get into the ground "for free" and then make a fiver from selling them pies as you like to think.
You missed my point.

They get SOMETHING (from food/drink/other from someone using the exchange here) from someone getting a ticket here.

I think your assumption is that they'll buy a full price ticket if they can't get cheaper from here.

If that person is doing so because they can't afford the club prices then, if that avenue is no longer open, the club then get NOTHING if they don't go at all.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You missed my point.

They get SOMETHING (from food/drink/other from someone using the exchange here) from someone getting a ticket here.

I think your assumption is that they'll buy a full price ticket if they can't get cheaper from here.

If that person is doing so because they can't afford the club prices then, if that avenue is no longer open, the club then get NOTHING if they don't go at all.

Lets say someone spends £10, and the club get, at BEST, £2.50 from this - in all honesty do you think they care? Say 750 tickets a game get passed on, that is not even £2k.

If they clamp down on this, and force more to go via the club, I am pretty sure they will get more than 60 odd people buying a ticket from the club now, per game, which equates to the same, and then some spend on top. This really is simple business.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If someone can only go to half as many games because they can't use that NSC TX anymore, I'm sure the club would make more from that one ticket sale than two games accumulated pie/beer sales.

Yes, possibly, but you miss the point. In all honesty the revenue side is a bit of a red herring, it's the club's heavy-handedness that is the issue (assuming it IS the club), they're not exactly going out of their way to win the 'hearts and minds' battle. If the Amex was selling out match after match I could understand it, they'd want people to use their official ticket exchange and fair enough.

EDIT: And don't forget the club's ticket exchange only cuts in when it's a sell-out

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Re: Closure of NSC ticket exchange

Everyone is assuming the club is behind this. It could be someone with a grudge against NSC.....

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Everyone is assuming the club is behind this. It could be someone with a grudge against NSC.....

In the absence of any other information it's not an unreasonable assumption. I'd be bloody surprised if someone with a grudge could actually get anyone interested in applying pressure

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Ha! Everyone will be left with egg on their faces! Those of us who've blamed the Demon Barber will be forced to admit that he DOES understand after all, and those who think it's a good idea as it will force people to buy tickets properly will have to admit that yes, actually we were right, the club WEREN'T that stupid and could see the merit in getting bums on seats by turning a blind eye.

EDIT: And who could POSSIBLY have that much of a grudge against NSC?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
How come a site like scarletmist.com, which offers a face-value ticket exchange for gigs, is able to legally operate whereas the NSC ticket exchange is not?

I can only speak for myself but I always buy a pie and a pint beforehand and at LEAST one pie and one pint afterwards, usually two. This is after I've made whatever illegal 'arrangement' with the ticket holder. If I can no longer 'borrow' tickets then I won't go to nearly so many matches (as the one-off prices are pretty steep) and the club will lose out. And of course if I'm not there then the club's income from me is a definite zero rather than a potential zero!

If it were just me who only ever behaved like this then stopping the practice of transferring tickets wouldn't make any material difference of course - but it surely goes without saying that I'm not unique.

So you're spending in total approx £40/game of which BHA will probably get to see less than a fiver after cost of goods, staff, caterer's margin and VAT are taken off?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

You keep hinting but not stating ! Does this "someone" also have the power to encourage the police to stop the "illegal" activity ? If it's not the club why has Bozza not said so ?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
How come a site like scarletmist.com, which offers a face-value ticket exchange for gigs, is able to legally operate whereas the NSC ticket exchange is not?

It's illegal to resell/give away tickets for football matches taking place in England (or matches which involve the England national team).

It's not illegal to resell gig tickets.

Thought you'd know this, Kev. Was in the Criminal Justice Act.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So you're spending in total approx £40/game of which BHA will probably get to see less than a fiver after cost of goods, staff, caterer's margin and VAT are taken off?

Yes, and your point is ......

(Plus it makes the catering concession look more valuable when it goes out to tender.)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

You've been hinting heavily about this and an enemy in the camp.

The camp in question is clearly NSC and not the club. You also mentioned the BBS having a similar ticket exchange and I'm not sure why you brought this up.

I assume this is fallout from the incident with the palace fan on this board, and the out of proportion anger about it on the BBS. My guess is a palace twat has targetted Bozza over this and has threatened legal action against the ticket exchange on here as a twisted act of 'revenge'.

ngood77

Aug 5, 2006
This is very simple, no ? The club will make more money whilst the NSC TX is allowed and active. Reason : there are no sell outs anymore, so no official TX. So, if somebody cannot go to a game, and cannot get rid of their ticket, the club receive zero revenue from that person. If that person can get rid of their ticket on NSC, the club make revenue from whoever takes the ticket (through matchday purchases), and the softer stuff like maybe attracting that new person to the Amex, and goodwill etc. On the rare occasion there is a sell out, it is still unlikely that the person will find an official buyer for their seat.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Lets say someone spends £10, and the club get, at BEST, £2.50 from this - in all honesty do you think they care? Say 750 tickets a game get passed on, that is not even £2k.

If they clamp down on this, and force more to go via the club, I am pretty sure they will get more than 60 odd people buying a ticket from the club now, per game, which equates to the same, and then some spend on top. This really is simple business.

750?!!! It's about 20/30 from here I suspect.

Anyway, as I say, many buying cheaper are those that cannot (or won't, irrelevant which) afford club tickets.

I see your point and the logical assumptions following that is attendances will go UP?

I see loads of empty seats, esp in the south end of the East stand lower. Quite a few in the south stand too.

Also, there are probably quite a few fans priced out who do NOT buy here or anywhere else, they simply don't go. This is understandable whilst games always sell out (like last season), however as I say, I see quite a few empty seats.

If the club (and I take the point above that it might not be the club instigating this) REALLY want more revenue, for non-sell out games (more common once the north corners are ready) match day tickets need to be cheaper. If (all in), South tickets were £25 and side tickets £30, they would sell MORE tickets (more than making up for lost revenue at higher prices). Up to them. THAT is really simple business (and my guess, they'll do exactly this next season for non-big games once new seats are in - assuming not in PL of course!).

They key is, every empty seat (whether ST, match-day, not-taken exchange etc.) is lost revenue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports