Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Re: Closure of NSC ticket exchange

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I'm not sure that's the issue. Only one game has sold out this season and that was only a day or so before the game.

If the club continue up the League structure then I expect there to be more sell outs, and more demand for tickets, not just from home, but also away supporters.

It's possible, through the NSC exchange, for an Away supporter to get a ticket for a home section (through any number of transactions but most likely a tout will be involved somewhere down the line), and if that happens it's the club who suffer the consequences, not NSC or Bozza. The club are clearly concerned that it's open to this problem and can't turn a blind eye to the fact.

All they are doing is telling Bozza that he has to comply with the law - I don't really think it's about restricting STH's giving their Smartcards to their mates, as in reality no STH would be foolhardy enough to give such a valuable asset to some total stranger who they may never meet again.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
I understand the reasons, however this will just end up with the club losing revenue.

Many (arguably most) of those buying via the exchange are those that can't afford the club's match day tickets.

So, more empty seats, lack of revenue from those who would have gone not buying food/drink/shop.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
I understand the reasons, however this will just end up with the club losing revenue.

Many (arguably most) of those buying via the exchange are those that can't afford the club's match day tickets.

So, more empty seats, lack of revenue from those who would have gone not buying food/drink/shop.

That's a bit presumptious, we all make decisions in life about what we can and can't afford, some of us choose to prioritise going to the football while others might want to spend that money somewhere else.

I don't purchase programmes at all, nor do I spend shedloads of money in the Club Shop or get the latest must have replica kit.

And if tickets on the exchange are undercutting the club's prices then they are ALREADY losing out on revenue.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't really think it's about restricting STH's giving their Smartcards to their mates, as in reality no STH would be foolhardy enough to give such a valuable asset to some total stranger who they may never meet again.

Absolute rubbish - I've used 5 complete strangers smart cards and either arranged to meet them post match to give it back or posted it back.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

I've often heard this argument trotted out and I don't relay buy it.
I've never visited the shop on matchday and I only buy food or drink when there is little or no queue.
If someone can't afford an extra £5 or £10 they would have saved by buying from the exchange they are hardly going to buy eight pints, three pies and a full replica kit are they?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
That's a bit presumptious, we all make decisions in life about what we can and can't afford, some of us choose to prioritise going to the football while others might want to spend that money somewhere else.

I don't purchase programmes at all, nor do I spend shedloads of money in the Club Shop or get the latest must have replica kit.

And if tickets on the exchange are undercutting the club's prices then they are ALREADY losing out on revenue.

Once again I disagree - I buy STH tickets are effectively face value. I won't be buying £34 tickets ( even more so because the club only release cheaper tickets much later on ). So the only revenue the club are losing from me with the NSC ticket exchange in place is my pie and beer money.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
If the club continue up the League structure then I expect there to be more sell outs, and more demand for tickets, not just from home, but also away supporters.

It's possible, through the NSC exchange, for an Away supporter to get a ticket for a home section (through any number of transactions but most likely a tout will be involved somewhere down the line), and if that happens it's the club who suffer the consequences, not NSC or Bozza. The club are clearly concerned that it's open to this problem and can't turn a blind eye to the fact.

All they are doing is telling Bozza that he has to comply with the law - I don't really think it's about restricting STH's giving their Smartcards to their mates, as in reality no STH would be foolhardy enough to give such a valuable asset to some total stranger who they may never meet again.

But the police aren't concerned. It would also be just as easy for a away supporter to get a ticket in the home end through official means. Indeed I remember loads of NSC saying that they got tickets in the Villa end when Brighton played them in the cup a few years ago.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I've never visited the shop on matchday and I only buy food or drink when there is little or no queue.

It's EXACTLY how it works with me.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011

The club are ONLY (and I must make this point) missing out if they would have bought a normal ticket instead. Many would either buy cheaply from the exchange or not go at all. Clearly, those buying from the exchange are doing it for financial reasons so a reasonable assumption to make!!

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
If someone can't afford an extra £5 or £10 they would have saved by buying from the exchange they are hardly going to buy eight pints, three pies and a full replica kit are they?
Many buy full price ticket but then buy no food/drink. Save £10 from buying a ticket on the exchange means, for the same price, they can afford a drink/pie/etc. Obviously, not all will buy a drink/food but the club don't lose revenue if they weren't going to buy a full price match-day ticket.

Ultimately they spend NOTHING at all if they're not at the ground in the first place!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Many buy full price ticket but then buy no food/drink. Save £10 from buying a ticket on the exchange means, for the same price, they can afford a drink/pie/etc. Obviously, not all will buy a drink/food but the club don't lose revenue if they weren't going to buy a full price match-day ticket.

Ultimately they spend NOTHING at all if they're not at the ground in the first place!

Wasn't there some statistic from the club a while back stating that 80% of people attending purchase something in the ground?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

If the club sell you a ticket they get to keep nearly all of that money (as match costs are pretty much fixed for 19000 or 20000). What do they (or the catering company) make on food and drink sales 50% ?
I just don't think it's as beneficial to the club for people to get into the ground "for free" and then make a fiver from selling them pies as you like to think.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If the club sell you a ticket they get to keep nearly all of that money (as match costs are pretty much fixed for 19000 or 20000). What do they (or the catering company) make on food and drink sales 50% ?
I just don't think it's as beneficial to the club for people to get into the ground "for free" and then make a fiver from selling them pies as you like to think.

Don't forget they don't even see all of the money from catering.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I can only speak for myself but I always buy a pie and a pint beforehand and at LEAST one pie and one pint afterwards, usually two. This is after I've made whatever illegal 'arrangement' with the ticket holder. If I can no longer 'borrow' tickets then I won't go to nearly so many matches (as the one-off prices are pretty steep) and the club will lose out. And of course if I'm not there then the club's income from me is a definite zero rather than a potential zero!

If it were just me who only ever behaved like this then stopping the practice of transferring tickets wouldn't make any material difference of course - but it surely goes without saying that I'm not unique.

nail-Z

Jul 10, 2003
North Somerset

They get no money from an empty seat though.

rool

Jul 10, 2003

That's the point though, they aren't getting in for free as the seat has already been paid for. What the club want to be able to do is get 150% of the face value by selling it again via their exchange.
As an aside to that. with the club's current attendance reporting method, would it be possible for the club to report an attendance of more than 100% of capacity?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
But it's NOT 'for free' is it? The ticket has already been paid for, the club have the money. If I weren't there it would be the genuine holder, it's not like I've bunked in by climbing over the wall or something.

Don't forget they don't even see all of the money from catering.
But they see some. And if the seat is empty they get nothing.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
If someone can only go to half as many games because they can't use that NSC TX anymore, I'm sure the club would make more from that one ticket sale than two games accumulated pie/beer sales.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here