[Albion] RDZ - We need more players…….

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
I don’t think we necessarily spent our money all that wisely. I am not sure which gap Milner was meant to fill but he looks done at this level and relying on Lamptey and even sadly Lallana, is a bit daft given their injury-proneness.

That said though, we have been unlucky that we now have injuries to 3 players who can play left back. That is massive back luck rather than bad planning, because you can’t buy lots of fullbacks to protect against all injury eventualities, as at some point all those players will be fit again and you’ll have them all unhappy on the bench.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
My fear, was that by juggling a thinish squad to compete on all fronts, we end up not competing on any fronts
I agree to an extent. What I don’t agree with is the continual extra games statement yet. To date we have played ONE match more than an EPL team not in Europe who got to the LC 2nd round. E.g. Palace.
The timing of Dunk and Gross getting much overdue international recognition isn’t helping either.

The Colonel

Sep 4, 2023
He’s not wrong trying to compete on two fronts is not working for us, injuries are pileing up and we have a weaker starting 11 than last season.

2 full backs and another midfielder at least needed.

Agree with this. The attacking options feel really good this season, lots of quality and depth. But full back and holding midfield aren't quite at the level a winner like RDZ needs.

If the aim was top half and to get out of the Europa group (which most fans would be happy with) we can do that with what we have. The reason we're having this conversation is that RDZ is an elite manager and his aims will be top four and compete to win the Europa.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
No sympathy for RDZ on this one. Our squad is big and he himself said our squad was ready to compete on all fronts.
Totally agree, poor selections (sometimes) and also why is Veltman used so sparingly ?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Convenient excuse from RDZ but the reality is we ship at least 2 goals before we score. End of last season he was happy flogging the same players rather than changing things up anyway.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Post match interview yesterday RDZ made this statement. I think that is the first time he has made that type of statement in a public environment. This January might be a little different to the last few…..

Personally I’d love the club to make a move for Kalvin Phillips on loan.
I wouldn't. He's pony.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I think RDZ's comment has been taken out of context here. He was asked about the full back injuries and first said that everybody, including him, needs to improve to meet the new challenges. He then mentioned that we need more players in connection with the injuries. He didn't say that we need to sign more players and could just as easily meant that we need some players to start getting back to fitness.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
We’ve never had a bigger squad and do feel RDZ has talked the players into a lot of the apparent tiredness/weariness by constantly claiming it rather than it being a reality. We haven’t played any more games than other premier league teams.

I do however think the club did make a huge mistake not strengthening at full back where it was clear we were screwed if Pervis got injured and as we’ve seen Baleba is a while away from being Moises levels of quality. That’s always going to be an issue for us with our sell and replace with potential.

I suspect the March injury really upset him hence yesterdays comments, but If RDZ does start whinging about the squad regularly it won’t end well.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Given the time it takes to integrate a new player into our style of play, I'm not sure a January loan player is the answer.
It certainly narrows down the type of player that could have a positive impact: PL experienced or equivalent, smart and adaptable.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We’ve never had a bigger squad and do feel RDZ has talked the players into a lot of the apparent tiredness/weariness by constantly claiming it rather than it being a reality. We haven’t played any more games than other premier league teams.

I do however think the club did make a huge mistake not strengthening at full back where it was clear we were screwed if Pervis got injured and as we’ve seen Baleba is a while away from being Moises levels of quality. That’s always going to be an issue for us with our sell and replace with potential.

I suspect the March injury really upset him hence yesterdays comments, but If RDZ does start whinging about the squad regularly it won’t end well.

This.

Not hindsight talking. RB and LB aspirations were discussed in detail on NSC during in the summer window. Veltman and Estupinan are key.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Probably tipped too far in the direction of being a selling club a season too soon, before the replacements were properly bedded in
This has been said elsewhere, but I think the plan was to try to keep Caicedo for another year…,but if someone is willing to pay £115m, then you have to take it. If you win every game, including the final, the Europa League gets you £20m. Sometimes money talks.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This has been said elsewhere, but I think the plan was to try to keep Caicedo for another year…,but if someone is willing to pay £115m, then you have to take it. If you win every game, including the final, the Europa League gets you £20m. Sometimes money talks.
But is the ‘theory’ that we always have a plan A,B,C for any of the playing squad / key club staff ? Feels like we had neither lined up with many months notice for both our CM’s

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Clubs have been playing additional games in Europe for years and we have kown since end of season. I cant remember West Ham moaning last season and they played an additional 12 games. I am sure De Zerbi had option of not loaning out some of the players. Unfortunate but dont have much sympathy for RDZ May have lost players but he has spent about £80 on players I assume he wanted. Plus we have for years only had 1 LB and yet there are at least 2 ex youngsters playing there for decent level clubs.
Injuries always crop up with clubs and all have I think 25 in squad.
Our problem is we have two 37 year olds that wont play 2 games in a week and injury prone players in Lampty Webster and,Welbeck
I'd suggest it's not so much the number of games we are or are due to play, but the number of injuries that we have unfortunately picked up quite recently.

Zeus

Jan 10, 2022
But is the ‘theory’ that we always have a plan A,B,C for any of the playing squad / key club staff ? Feels like we had neither lined up with many months notice for both our CM’s
When we say we have replacements lined up what we really mean is we have main targets identified if players leave. It’s impossible to stockpile too many and Caceido replacing Biss, and then leaving a year later meant it almost impossible to have someone ready in house. Baleba is going to be a beast but it’s going to take until next season to see consistency. Dahoud would have been seen as a decent Ali Mac replacement too, but he’s taking longer to adapt than I suspect the club hoped it would.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
When we say we have replacements lined up what we really mean is we have main targets identified if players leave. It’s impossible to stockpile too many and Caceido replacing Biss, and then leaving a year later meant it almost impossible to have someone ready in house. Baleba is going to be a beast but it’s going to take until next season to see consistency. Dahoud would behave even seen as a decent Ali Mac replacement too, but he’s taking longer to adapt than I suspect the club hoped it would.

And we get gazumped on wages/players reject us eg Kudus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports