Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] RDZ post-match

Jimmy Grimble

Playing down expectations because of our injury situation?

Last year he was pushing the players to believe they could finish in the top 4 so it seems slightly unusual for him to publicly say top 10 this time. I think it’s a fair target (along with going far in one or both of the cups) which has probably come from Bloom. Just seems a little unlike RDZ.

mile oak

May 21, 2023
Did we deserve to win? We only had 1 more on target and arguably Wolves chances were closer. Did he say we have no winger and we also have to adapt? Milner did ok on the wing, if only players noticed him there! All said and done we didn't lose didn't conceed and will finish well above Wolves. Not a total disaster moved above Manure.

Last edited:

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I actually thought we played some lovely intricate football but seemed hesitant to pull the trigger.
I think some people maybe underestimating how well organised this Wolves side are. I think we will finish very close to each other.
Hinshelwood again looked very mature and Steele or Gross were my MOM. For the first time I noticed Gilmour being outpaced in midfield a couple of times when it came to a footrace.
Overall a fair result against a decent team.
Not long ago we would have viewed this as a decent result.
We’ve come a long, long way together.
Onwards and upwards.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Playing down expectations because of our injury situation?

Last year he was pushing the players to believe they could finish in the top 4 so it seems slightly unusual for him to publicly say top 10 this time. I think it’s a fair target (along with going far in one or both of the cups) which has probably come from Bloom. Just seems a little unlike RDZ.

There was much talk of this on the tv last night. I took his top 10 comment to mean Bloom’s often stated aim for Brighton to be seen as a top 10 club….not this season’s specific target.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
It’s true that any sort of result, without a single winger available is more than acceptable. Missing March, Enciso, Fati, Mitoma and Adingra throws a big spanner in the works of DeZerbi ball. First game I have seen for a while where I didn’t come away having enjoyed watching us. The bar is set very high these days.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
My guess, is the lack of a response to his statements ,that we need 3 or 4 players, has led him to revert to the lower of the club's stated aims.

To take advantage of a set of easier fixtures , in Jan and Feb, we needed reinforcements.
We may be back to a full complement in March, but by that time we will have played, Wolves/Palace/Sheffield United/Luton/Everton/Spurs.
5 or 6 points from that lot, won't be enough to mount a challenge for top 7.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My guess, is the lack of a response to his statements ,that we need 3 or 4 players, has led him to revert to the lower of the club's stated aims.

To take advantage of a set of easier fixtures , in Jan and Feb, we needed reinforcements.
We may be back to a full complement in March, but by that time we will have played, Wolves/Palace/Sheffield United/Luton/Everton/Spurs.
5 or 6 points from that lot, won't be enough to mount a challenge for top 7.
I’m not convinced we will/can find 3 or 4 decent replacements in the January window. I’d far rather get through this difficult period with the squad we have than buy or loan some bang average players who take time to get up to speed with our game.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I’m not convinced we will/can find 3 or 4 decent replacements in the January window. I’d far rather get through this difficult period with the squad we have than buy or loan some bang average players who take time to get up to speed with our game.
I agree.
But I don't think RDZ sees it that way.

rebel51

Jan 4, 2021
West sussex
We are top 7 having achieved that with injuries, Europe is the aim and I think we will
Our next lot of games still without some big players and we are going to struggle to win games without that quality that they bring, we are quite predictable and easy to defend against atm. No way we finish above man u, Chelsea for defo and then Newcastle or west ham will be hard also

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I should also add “…and are maybe lumbered with for seasons to come”.

I have been put off the winter window for life by the knobhead left back who Hughton brought in.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I agree.
But I don't think RDZ sees it that way.
This is where I’m at too. As I said in the main match thread I’m a bit worried by some of his recent interviews. Last night he said twice ‘Barco is not a winger’ which seemed to me like he’s asked for a winger and been told no because we’ve signed Barco. His contract extension remains unsigned. I don’t necessarily disagree with the club not to be held to ransom in January (although we do desperately need an athletic DM who is more developed than Baleba), but I think RDZ is frustrated that his own ambitions to finish top 4/7 are not, in his eyes, being met. I think there’s a good chance he moves on in the summer which would be a shame as a watching fan as his football is the best I’ve ever seen us play.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We are top 7 having achieved that with injuries, Europe is the aim and I think we will do it
We have done well to achieve that position, but it's worth acknowledging that we are ahead of Chelsea and United by a single point with Newcastle and Wolves a further 2 behind.
Our next 7 league games will be our easiest run of fixtures for the rest of the season and we are running out of steam.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This is where I’m at too. As I said in the main match thread I’m a bit worried by some of his recent interviews. Last night he said twice ‘Barco is not a winger’ which seemed to me like he’s asked for a winger and been told no because we’ve signed Barco. His contract extension remains unsigned. I don’t necessarily disagree with the club not to be held to ransom in January (although we do desperately need an athletic DM who is more advanced than Baleba), but I think RDZ is frustrated that his own ambitions to finish top 4/7 are not, in his eyes, being met. I think there’s a good chance he moves on in the summer which would be a shame as a watching fan as his football is the best I’ve ever seen us play.
Problem is when we get the bulk of the injuries back in a few weeks we would have a very big squad and probably 3 first team players not even making the bench.

As it is Dahoud & Baleba were missing last night

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This is where I’m at too. As I said in the main match thread I’m a bit worried by some of his recent interviews. Last night he said twice ‘Barco is not a winger’ which seemed to me like he’s asked for a winger and been told no because we’ve signed Barco. His contract extension remains unsigned. I don’t necessarily disagree with the club not to be held to ransom in January (although we do desperately need an athletic DM who is more developed than Baleba), but I think RDZ is frustrated that his own ambitions to finish top 4/7 are not, in his eyes, being met. I think there’s a good chance he moves on in the summer which would be a shame as a watching fan as his football is the best I’ve ever seen us play.
You might be right. But I personally wouldn’t read too much into an emotional guy being interviewed post match in his second language.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We have done well to achieve that position, but it's worth acknowledging that we are ahead of Chelsea and United by a single point with Newcastle and Wolves a further 2 behind.
Our next 7 league games will be our easiest run of fixtures for the rest of the season and we are running out of steam.
Running out of steam?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Add Mitoma, Enciso, Fati, Adingra, Veltman to the squad last night and it’s a different game different story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here