Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ post match interview?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
That is the only relevant point, for me, here - RDZ consistently directly or indirectly publicly calling out "the club" over what he perceives as a lack of support in the transfer market is unprofessional. I have no idea how Tony Bloom views these RDZ comments but I certainly wouldn't be very happy about them if I was in his position.
I love RDZ and want him to stay. He'd better be careful, though. Comments like some of his can get even good managers/coaches sacked.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I am actually really looking forward to next season as I think it will be a good one. Our injuries can't be worse than this year... Can they?

I think our model means we are always going to be regrouping after player sales.

I also think that our losses are often huge means it's easy to catastrophophise.
I wouldn't be so sure. Apart from March v City and Fati v Forest, all of our bad injuries seem to have occured in training and the first thing we know about them is at the pre-match presser. More worrying is that many of them are the sort that have chronic cause, like HInshelwood's stress fracture. Chances are that it'll be a similar scenario next year with same group of players and same coaching regime.

I do think that this summer's transfer window could be epic for us though.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I am actually really looking forward to next season as I think it will be a good one. Our injuries can't be worse than this year... Can they?

I think our model means we are always going to be regrouping after player sales.

I also think that our losses are often huge means it's easy to catastrophophise.
This is where I’m at.

I honestly believe that the replacements for Lallana, Dahoud and Milner will blow fans away. We’ll lose one top player at most.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Hughton would have got us a draw,

However Houghton wouldn't have got us through the first league stage. Or indeed into the competition in the first place.

I totally agree. RDZ’s done a brilliant job. The ‘high risk for high reward’ football has mostly been amazing. I’m interested though to see at what point he acknowledges that for some time now the reward has not been worth the risk, given our current resources. We need a different way to win matches. All it’s doing right now is making players look useless as they’re so exposed, and that can be a really damaging downward spiral for confidence. We defend like the Villa and Sunderland teams that stank out the PL for years before going down.

I’m fairly sure it’ll turn again, if he sticks around.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I love RDZ and want him to stay. He'd better be careful, though. Comments like some of his can get even good managers/coaches sacked.
A cynic might suggest that could be handy for him with a £12m release clause supposedly putting off the suitors. Lucky I’m not a cynic.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
This is where I’m at.

I honestly believe that the replacements for Lallana, Dahoud and Milner will blow fans away. We’ll lose one top player at most.
I think if no big club comes in for RDZ, which they may well not do, then maybe Bloom can get him to commit to a new contract with some serious squad strengthening. If that could happen we could be in for the best season we've ever had. I do think it's unlikely though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I totally agree. RDZ’s done a brilliant job. The ‘high risk for high reward’ football has mostly been amazing. I’m interested though to see at what point he acknowledges that for some time now the reward has not been worth the risk, given our current resources. We need a different way to win matches. All it’s doing right now is making players look useless as they’re so exposed, and that can be a really damaging downward spiral for confidence. We defend like the Villa and Sunderland teams that stank out the PL for years before going down.

I’m fairly sure it’ll turn again, if he sticks around.
I am not sure he will. He will try to get the best out of our squad playing the way he wants. And, as he said, if we want to step up a level the players need to improve (as they will) and we will need to buy better players (he didn't say that, despite what people think, but he did say he is discussing with the owner about going to the next level, which (you can guess the rest)).

I think he will carry on and that we will strengthen in the Summer.

Hopefuly.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I am not sure he will. He will try to get the best out of our squad playing the way he wants. And, as he said, if we want to step up a level the players need to improve (as they will) and we will need to buy better players (he didn't say that, despite what people think, but he did say he is discussing with the owner about going to the next level, which (you can guess the rest)).

I think he will carry on and that we will strengthen in the Summer.

Hopefuly.
I’m certainly not suggesting he should change his approach forever - it’s great when it’s working. Finding the very particular skillset it demands from his players might not be easy though, even if we do spend big. Seems to take a long time for them to adapt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That is the only relevant point, for me, here - RDZ consistently directly or indirectly publicly calling out "the club" over what he perceives as a lack of support in the transfer market is unprofessional. Would it be okay for Paul Barber, in his next programme notes, to criticise RDZ's tactics or team selection? Of course not. Would it be okay for a player, in a post-match interview, to blame a team-mate for missing a chance or making a defensive error? Of course not.

I have no idea how Tony Bloom views these RDZ comments but I certainly wouldn't be very happy about them if I was in his position.
Well, I have the utmost respect for your knowledge about the club, but.....when did RDZ call out the club? Certainly in the post match interview after Roma he did no such thing. It was one of the most measured and pleasing interviews I can recall from anyone after such a result. What have I missed?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I’m certainly not suggesting he should change his approach forever - it’s great when it’s working. Finding the very particular skillset it demands from his players might not be easy though, even if we do spend big. Seems to take a long time for them to adapt.
A long time? My understanding from interviews with the likes of Dunk is that it took about 2 weeks for the players to adapt. All I have seen is raw players being coached into good players. JPV. Facu. Even Pedro had morphed into an all-action monster before the recent injury. I suspect that anyone standing around scratching their arse will find themselves out of the squad.

I think we simply need three new top class signings, and I am hopeful Bloom will take advantage of a shifting market in the Summer, with lots of clubs needing to unload due to FFP, and deploy some of the riches we plucked from players sales, passim.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well, I have the utmost respect for your knowledge about the club, but.....when did RDZ call out the club? Certainly in the post match interview after Roma he did no such thing. It was one of the most measured and pleasing interviews I can recall from anyone after such a result. What have I missed?
I don't think he did in this interview, I thought he was very fair. I also suspect Barbs has has a word with him about what he says in them recently. But he definitely has indirectly called out Bloom recently about transfer policy.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A long time? My understanding from interviews with the likes of Dunk is that it took about 2 weeks for the players to adapt. All I have seen is raw players being coached into good players. JPV. Facu. Even Pedro had morphed into an all-action monster before the recent injury. I suspect that anyone standing around scratching their arse will find themselves out of the squad.

I think we simply need three new top class signings, and I am hopeful Bloom will take advantage of a shifting market in the Summer, with lots of clubs needing to unload due to FFP, and deploy some of the riches we plucked from players sales, passim.
Maybe that's Bloom's plan, pick up some quality signings from clubs that have to sell due to FFP.

We must have some money in the bank following the previous sales to Chelsea.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That is the only relevant point, for me, here - RDZ consistently directly or indirectly publicly calling out "the club" over what he perceives as a lack of support in the transfer market is unprofessional. Would it be okay for Paul Barber, in his next programme notes, to criticise RDZ's tactics or team selection? Of course not. Would it be okay for a player, in a post-match interview, to blame a team-mate for missing a chance or making a defensive error? Of course not.

I have no idea how Tony Bloom views these RDZ comments but I certainly wouldn't be very happy about them if I was in his position.
I don’t see RDZ ‘calling out’ any individuals, least of all blaming TB/PB, even implicitly, for not ‘supporting him’.

If the Club didn’t want to ‘support’ the manager, he’d be sacked.

What I have heard RDZ saying repeatedly to the press (who keep asking him if he is happy with the transfer windows/depth of squad) and disgruntled fans is along the lines of “I know you all expect fantastic miracles and for us to advance in 3 or 4 competitions without it impacting on the season’s overall performance , but that’s not going to happen without a lot more investment and experience in the squad - so hold your horses, be patient with our youngsters in particular and know that I am committed to improving our quality - it is not my job to tell the owner how to spend his money - It is only my job to comment on the players I have”.

TB/PB are not footballers so need input from the head coach as to how far the squad is away from achieving their hope of progression to the next level and RDZ doesn’t have the responsibility of balancing the books so will always have a longer shopping list than is financially viable - that relationship between owner and manager is a natural tension at every single professional football club in the World - I don’t think we have heard anything in RDZ’s pressers to contradict that.

Did he though, I think he answered it previously with "If we want to compete at this level from the owner, to the coach to the player we have to progress to reach one level higher" Ever since the night we made it to Europe he has consistently and constantly pushed Tony for more player investment. He has been proven correct we cannot keep selling our top players and replacing them with new young prospects if we want to retain the level that the more experianced players got us to. I am not bitching that we are most likely out of this cup, I am frigging proud of what our club is achieving, what I am hearing from RDZ is that if TB wants us to be a consistent top ten PL club he has to be realistic about what it will take.

Absolutely spot on.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I thought his comments were spot on. I also am looking forward to next season.

It looked to me in the post-match press conference that a weight had been lifted from his shoulders. He seemed much more back to his old self. I have a feeling he’s been waiting for the other shoe to drop, and now it has he’s not taking the pressure so personally.

All our kids will be one season older with European experience next time out. I also like to think that we will strengthen the central midfield, our options at right back, and also bring in an additional central defender.

Do that, and we’ve got a squad. Last night felt awful, but the future’s still bright.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

Annoyingly, can't find the quote but I'm certain he's said himself that it's difficult for players to learn his approach... looking at months not weeks.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I didn't get that from what he said, I think the point that he was trying to make was that this is a step up from everything the club has ever done before and it's a learning experience for everyone. It is difficult to properly express yourself in a second language (working in a foreign country and teaching students who are mostly in this position I really understand this), and I think Roberto is struggling with that sometimes in interviews.
The interviewer even asked for clarification on that very point and he was adamant that he is NOT frustrated with the club or owner and loves the club.
I was saying the same as you - but confused it by using double (or maybe triple) negatives!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Annoyingly, can't find the quote but I'm certain he's said himself that it's difficult for players to learn his approach... looking at months not weeks.
Fair enough. If so we will have to be patient. It hardly matters whether we sign an 18 year old or a 28 year old if it takes everyone time to learn the approach.

I don't agree that any such comment would apply to all players though. Look at Phillips at Citeh. After a year the manager has realized that Phillips will never learn the Citeh system

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here