Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] RDZ on rotation.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

"It has not always been an approach welcomed by Seagulls fans, but De Zerbi explained why he has used such heavy rotation and, in his view, why it is working"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

"It has not always been an approach welcomed by Seagulls fans, but De Zerbi explained why he has used such heavy rotation and, in his view, why it is working"
Someone tell him we are not playing three games a week. FFS.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The only thing I’d really question is GK. I totally get why you’d rotate outfit players, especially young ones. But GKs are elite cardiovascular athletes who barely have to move some games. And yes they stretch and take impact etc but it’s hardly a game of rugby.
After Arsenal signed Raya there’s been a huge amount of focus on rotating keepers and all the ex pros have questioned it. Even Arteta seems to be sticking with Raya. So rotation, fine- I get it. GK? That seems unusual.

Jimmy Grimble

The only thing I’d really question is GK. I totally get why you’d rotate outfit players, especially young ones. But GKs are elite cardiovascular athletes who barely have to move some games. And yes they stretch and take impact etc but it’s hardly a game of rugby.
After Arsenal signed Raya there’s been a huge amount of focus on rotating keepers and all the ex pros have questioned it. Even Arteta seems to be sticking with Raya. So rotation, fine- I get it. GK? That seems unusual.
Unfortunately for us and RDZ the stats on Bart and Steele aren’t justifying his decision. Certainly in the league at least.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
With regard to rotating GKs, I think it seems odd until one gets an injury. Then the benefit of having another GK who is playing regularly in the league and is up to speed becomes apparent.

What most teams do is effectively promote a player who hasn’t played a first team league match in (sometimes) several seasons to a key position on the pitch.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
For our goalkeepers it’s less about rotation because of fitness, and more to do with easing in a young goalkeeper, & also because they have slightly different attributes RDZ might select a keeper based on opposition…. I would say.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think Arteta is sticking with Raya as Ramsdale is a bit of a knob?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Unfortunately for us and RDZ the stats on Bart and Steele aren’t justifying his decision. Certainly in the league at least.
Our level of GAs are largely due to the style of high press, attacking football we are playing - not down to the incompetence of either player imo. We are not getting a £50m GK so we need to suck it up while they need to develop further into the keepers RDZ is needing for that role. Part of that ‘playing out from the back’ development also requires a backline that isn’t leaky - us conceding too many goals this season isn’t all about the GKs - but we can’t do that without a fully fit squad or buying in more replacements for key defensive positions.

I can’t see rotation of keepers as much as a problem some fans do - our defenders will be training with both keepers so if they are not always communicating that’s a training issue. Our match v Arsenal a case in point - a very good 3-way partnership between Dunk, Hecke and Bart who were defending better (as a trio) than they have all season imo until a communication error between Hecke and Bart led to a goal but in the context of an excellent defensive game by us - (and not something we are used to!)

As for the rest of RDZs rotation- personally I think it has been essential to sustain the level and intensity of fixtures we’ve been playing given our injury and fatigue issues in the squad as a whole. This is one of the reasons smaller clubs like ours struggle to compete in multiple competitions in one season.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I am struggling to suggest I know better on any of RDZ’s decisions, even if I raise an eyebrow at team selection on a regular basis. I am enjoying watching the Albion EVERY game, win lose or draw. Heady days which probably won't last so I am loving it and accepting of whatever strange decisions and the oft repeated incorrect comments that we have been playing three games a week (wish we were :smile:)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
For our goalkeepers it’s less about rotation because of fitness, and more to do with easing in a young goalkeeper, & also because they have slightly different attributes RDZ might select a keeper based on opposition…. I would say.
I would also say. Seems pretty obvious.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

We have signed Bart to be our long-term #1. He needs games to improve.

Steele knows exactly what RDZ wants and can execute it.

This is why he is rotating keepers.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It really doesn’t matter who plays in goal or what defenders are picked, the way RDZ wants to play is ALWAYS going to be dangerous enough to let in at least a goal a game. We’re just going to have to accept that and trust that his game plan will work out overall.
The main issue is that if a crap team like Arsenal can find a workaround, then others will follow. Pundits on MOTD said we should hump it now and again - I prefer to take the view that the occasional long ball may be beneficial, depending on who we can pick out up front.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
With regard to rotating GKs, I think it seems odd until one gets an injury. Then the benefit of having another GK who is playing regularly in the league and is up to speed becomes apparent.

What most teams do is effectively promote a player who hasn’t played a first team league match in (sometimes) several seasons to a key position on the pitch.
Yeah, look at Newcastle. Nick Pope conceding on average a goal a game - gets an injury, Dubravka comes in concedes on average 2.33 goals per game. Is Dubravka a bad keeper? No. Did he only play two games last season and now looks beyond rusty? Yes.

It's obviously in large part about allowing Verbruggen the space to bed into the side with minimal pressure, but it is also a squad wide policy of rotation to help us manage the injury and fixture load. I expect as the fixtures start to spread out a bit more in the second half of the season, there'll be slightly less rotation but I don't really think it's the root of the conceding every game issue (that is we have replaced Ali Mac, a midfielder, with an attacker - Pedro, Fati, Enciso, Facundo).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here