Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ravel Morrison...

BEN12360

Dec 30, 2012
Baines started out as a midfielder at Wigan and he does provide much of Everton's impetus in building attacks the way that he bombs forward for them, so theoretically he could play in an advanced wide left position, much like Coentrao at Real Madrid and for Portugal can play either role. That said, I'm not sure it's something you can be certain Baines would be comfortable doing and I also think that it works better if the player in the wide left position cuts inside to allow either Baines or Cole to make the overlapping runs that they are both famed for. Arsenal worked this to good effect when they had Robert Pires playing in front of Cole and did exactly that. Of the current England squad players, Adam Lallana could possibly play that role effectively if Hodgson takes him to Brazil.
Good point well made.........it does pan out for a reason, ie Baines did indeed play wing at Wigan, but he has gone to left back to improve him as a player. Ie if he stayed at Wigan as a left midfielder we wouldn't be having a debate on him as an England player. Also Bale played left back at Southampton and Paul Scholes used to play as a striker coming through the ranks at United. It evolves all for a reason.

BEN12360

Dec 30, 2012
Spot on! And well said... Ben12360 clearly has no concept of football and how people play

Check the next post out JTR and you might want to reverse that.................you want to take Ince and JFC to the world cup!!!!!!!!

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
That's not what I said! I said they have been given a chance and are shinning for it....

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
For me
Hart
Walker jagielka Cahill cole
Townsend Walcott/berkley wilshere baines
Lalanna rooney

Bench- ruddy Morrison lampard ox-ch smalling Sturbridge

Last edited:

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Good point well made.........it does pan out for a reason, ie Baines did indeed play wing at Wigan, but he has gone to left back to improve him as a player. Ie if he stayed at Wigan as a left midfielder we wouldn't be having a debate on him as an England player. Also Bale played left back at Southampton and Paul Scholes used to play as a striker coming through the ranks at United. It evolves all for a reason.

I think one of the problems we have sometimes in this country is we tend to pigeonhole footballers, saying he can only play this position or that position, whereas we should in fact be encouraging players who are flexible and who can play in more than one position. The players that do tend to play in more than one position in this country are the sort of jack-of-all-trades, master of none players like James Milner, Tom Cleverley etc. Whereas if you look at other footballing nations, they produce players with technical ability and tactical know-how and discipline to play in several positions. In the last World Cup, I remember 3 German players who played in more than one position during the tournament. When people talk of the ills with football in this country, shifting this attitude would be a good place to start as it would create more multi-dimensional footballers.

BEN12360

Dec 30, 2012
For me
Hart
Walker jagielka Cahill cole
Townsend Walcott wilshere baines
Lalanna rooney

Bench- ruddy Morrison lampard ox-ch smalling Sturbridge

Townsend and Walcott in the same team??? They will run at teams all day with ball but will never get a cross in.............
No Lambert or Wellbeck??? Whats Lalanna in the team for?? Wilshire is no good unless he is playing with creative players..........

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Walcott can play central and last season played behind the gerioud quite effectively. Or start with berkley and bring on Walcott?
Lambert... No thanks would rather see Ashley Barnes in Brazil!
Ok maybe swap Sturbridge for wellbeck...? Tough call
Lalanna was awesome in the the last 2 games and deserves the chance to prove himself
Wilshere is a creative player, very good holding player

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Walcott can play central and last season played behind the gerioud quite effectively. Or start with berkley and bring on Walcott?

Walcott played in the centre of attack for Arsenal last season with mixed results, but I don't think he's ever played in the centre of midfield!

If England are to get very far in the World Cup next summer, I think Hodgson has to set them up to play 4-3-3 when they have the ball and 4-5-1 when they don't have it otherwise they could get pulled all over the place when they lose possession.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
His name is Ravel Morrison and he's English, yes?
So why the chuff does he have Ravel on the back of his shirt rather than Morrison?
Sorry mate you're not Brazilian so it just makes you look like a douchebag.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
So why the chuff does he have Ravel on the back of his shirt rather than Morrison?

You make it sound as though it's only Brazilians that wear nicknames or forenames on the back of their shirt. There's numerous Spanish players who don't wear their actual surname on the back of their shirt (Raul, Pedro for starters). The same in Portugal and in Mexico. Also, Jordi Cruyff had Jordi on the back of his shirt at Euro '96, presumably because he wanted to be judged for who he was, rather than who his dad was.

Broady

Apr 17, 2011
It's because when he left Man Utd he wanted a fresh start so asked West Ham if he could have Ravel on his shirt instead.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Ravel Morrison's an amazing talent but I've got a feeling that it won't be long before he's caught up in some more trouble soon - probably in a nightclub. Fergie did say to Big Sam if he keeps his head down he can go right to the top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here