Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rationale for starting line up and formation

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Tactics ebb and flow across the PL season to season as successes are noted, researched and plugged.

One thing I noted yesterday was very few teams went with a 3 at the back, if any unless I missed something? This contrasts with a fair portion of teams going with a 3 in previous seasons.

So while a bit of a shock to us with the personnel available, not altogether surprising if we look at how tactics might start to take shape this season.

One things for sure, I’m not putting any money on the starting XI and shape next week!

Very few but not "none". Chelsea, who looked fantastic in about second gear (admittedly against THEM) did and Wolves, who looked less good did as well. Man U will undoubtedly have the option now they've signed Verane (and those Trippier rumours continue). Will be interesting to see how City line up today.

Still, if the trend is back to a 4 I can still see Potter bucking it. If not then we need to sign at least one "proper" full back. For me only Veltman and Lamptey come close but one is still a RCB and the other a RWB who may push further up later in life. Returning either Burn or March to a traditional left back role does not fill me with hope.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I genuinely have no idea what the plan was - it looked bizarre, and certainly whatever it was, wasn't working in the first 45.
That said, a lot of that was down to the lethargy of the players - they looked beaten after the first 15 mins.
Admittedly, the 'goal-that-should-have-been-disallowed knocked any confidence out of them, but hell, whatever was said at half-time made a difference, and the subs were inspired.
Genius or fool? I'll go (as always) with the former. :)

Now THAT would make for an interesting poll. With a Fence option obviously - seeing as how that option would probably GARNISH a fair old percentage of the votes :moo:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I can understand why he chose to play 3 CB's against Burnley. They are very direct and physical and having an extra CB leaves much less chance of being beaten down the flanks. I can see him sticking to something similar Vs Watford. The big decision is who plays as WB's and how.do we engage them with the build up and attacking play

Problem was he didn’t play them as three centre halves. Webster is not a right back. Marginally more a full back than Gross though I suppose!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here