Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Raphael Dwamena RIP

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It's the inevitable end to a really tragic story but I can understand why he wanted to pursue his career in football. Ultimately, it's quote a selfish choice because from looking at the video on YouTube, you see 20-30 people at least who are devastated at what they've seen and that will never leave them.

This could easily have been Enock Mwepu if he hadn't taken the advice to retire seriously.
Has he taken that on board fully now? Last I heard there was some crackpot religious person claiming he'd been healed. Was worried Mwepus religious brainwashing may lead him to act on that

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Due to him having an ICD, he probably won’t die from a cardiac arrest. However, it is really unpleasant to have the shocks from one. Depending on his diagnosis,he may be able to have an operation to , at least mitigate the frequency of his episodes.Having said that, it does appear that his playing days are over.
Indeed. So one can only assume that, unlike Erikson, he has not continued with careful monitoring (for example to check for hypertrophic changes and increased risk). Given this was Albania there is a possibility he/they had not ensured the defibrillator battery was properly charged.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tragic, RIP

You have to question the thought process of those who allowed him to keep playing
............or maybe the lad himself was just desperate to keep playing regardless of the risks, like those people who do dangerous sports? - climbing the most dangerous mountains, free-climbing, base-lining or racing motorcycles at close to 200mph round the Isle of Man. Death is always a risk, but to them it's one worth taking.

It's all immaterial now, of course - RIP to the lad and condolences to his family.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
............or maybe the lad himself was just desperate to keep playing regardless of the risks, like those people who do dangerous sports? - climbing the most dangerous mountains, free-climbing, base-lining or racing motorcycles at close to 200mph round the Isle of Man. Death is always a risk, but to them it's one worth taking.

It's all immaterial now, of course - RIP to the lad and condolences to his family.
Desperate to play and happy to leave his fate in the hands of god (rather than physicians).

God then affected his situation like he/they/it has always done. By doing nothing.

Shame on his agents and those who employed him once he’d been given his diagnosis.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Desperate to play and happy to leave his fate in the hands of god (rather than physicians).

God then affected his situation like he/they/it has always done. By doing nothing.

Shame on his agents and those who employed him once he’d been given his diagnosis.
You mentioned God, not me. No suggestion from me about his god or gods - just the suggestion that he MIGHT - like participants in dangerous sports - have thought the risks were worth it. Or he might not, and just not understood - I don't know, nor do you.....:shrug:
The stuff about a miracle cure through prayer centred round Mwepu AFAIK (and I sincerely hope he's ignored it!)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
You mentioned God, not me. No suggestion from me about his god or gods - just the suggestion that he MIGHT - like participants in dangerous sports - have thought the risks were worth it. Or he might not, and just not understood - I don't know, nor do you.....:shrug:
The stuff about a miracle cure through prayer centred round Mwepu AFAIK (and I sincerely hope he's ignored it!)
I got the ‘god’ bit from the Joy Sports article above but I’ve not checked to see the validity of it. 👆🏻

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Indeed. So one can only assume that, unlike Erikson, he has not continued with careful monitoring (for example to check for hypertrophic changes and increased risk). Given this was Albania there is a possibility he/they had not ensured the defibrillator battery was properly charged.
The reality is worse than that. Dwamena had seemingly opted to have the defibrillator removed, in order to continue his playing career. :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here