194. Alfa Romeo MiTo 85.35%
195. Volvo V50 85.21%
196. BMW 3 Series Coupe/Convertible Mk5 84.78%
197. Ford Galaxy Mk3 83.56%
198. BMW 5 Series Mk5 83.48%
199. Land Rover Range Rover Mk3 79.57%
200. Land Rover Discovery Mk3 78.36%

???

Sorry, I thought we were talking about new cars. I don't know when the 'Land Rover Range Rover Sport Mark 1' came out but the Range Rover Mark 3 mentioned was introduced in 2002. I do wonder about these lists though. Here's another one, produced by Confused.com. It apparently shows the most dodgily unreliable bangers currently on the market...
1: Audi RS6
2: BMW M5
3: Nissan GT-R
4: Porsche 911
5: Bentley Continental GT
6: Mercedes-Benz CL
7: Mercedes-Benz V-Class
8: Citroen C6 512.00
9: Mercedes-Benz SL
10: Mercedes-Benz GL

Thanks heavens I used a Skoda to go to Lincolnshire last week. I could have played with fire and risked calamity by taking a Porsche 911.

Mungo_Jerry

Sep 27, 2011
I do chuckle when I see a brand new RR, which start at £75k, standing outside an ex council house whilst costing the owner about £500 per month on a PCP contract. That is money just being thrown away with no return, society's priorities seem a bit odd to me.

I'd probably triple that per month on a PCP

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
For comfort maybe, but for sheer capability it woud have to be a Unimog and for fun a Suzuki Jimny.

I love a Unimog as much as the next man, but it would have to be some SERIOUSLY challenging terrain to take one over a Range Rover.

I've spent enough off-road time in Land Rover products (driver and passenger) and heard enough tales from development engineers about what the put the mules and prototypes through to know that they could get you out of some very extreme situations.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I love a Unimog as much as the next man, but it would have to be some SERIOUSLY challenging terrain to take one over a Range Rover.

I've spent enough off-road time in Land Rover products (driver and passenger) and heard enough tales from development engineers about what the put the mules and prototypes through to know that they could get you out of some very extreme situations.

Never risk turning over a Land Rover though. A friend's son was seriously injured when one came off the road and ended up on it's roof last year.

A lot of people seem to be under the miconception that they offer you extra protection. Well they certainly don't.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Why do some people get precious about what other people drive? New (production) cars can range from under £10k to well over £100k and from tiny to very large, so there's something for everyone in terms of budget and size. If size is an issue, perhaps transits and the like should be frowned upon. The larger permanent 4 wheel drive SUV's may not be great off road, but they're not designed for that, they're predominately designed for better road holding, an elevated driving position and increased safety for the occupants.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
As i understand it over 90% of new cars on the road are not paid for, they are either on finance or lease/rent with a huge balloon payment at the end which means they just hand them back.
So they never own them which means its very easy for anyone to drive any car they want without actually having to buy it, which is what happen in the vast majority of cases.
Its trying to to be flash and living beyond your means on a budget.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its trying to to be flash and living beyond your means on a budget.

Is it ? Or is it just a sensible way of having a vehicle? I have leased for 7 years now. Never have a car over 3 years old, always have a warranty in place. No MOT for 2 years, first service included and not for 18months or so.

The ultimate utility rental model

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Nursery school or supermarket car park halfway up a ****ing mountain?

No worries.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I heard you have to take a c*** test to purchase one?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Is it ? Or is it just a sensible way of having a vehicle? I have leased for 7 years now. Never have a car over 3 years old, always have a warranty in place. No MOT for 2 years, first service included and not for 18months or so.

The ultimate utility rental model

That's exactly what I'm saying, its a rental scheme where you paying over the odds for having something you can't realistically afford.
Its obviously effective as there are so many people subscribing to it, but its akin to renting a property, at the end of the term there is no asset.
Its all just dead money.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That's exactly what I'm saying, its a rental scheme where you paying over the odds for having something you can't realistically afford.
Its obviously effective as there are so many people subscribing to it, but its akin to renting a property, at the end of the term there is no asset.
Its all just dead money.

But a car rapidly depreciates anyway, so it's always going to be dead money. And 4.5% APR on top of cash price, is not really over the odds is it?

I'd rather invest my cash for better returns than sinking 10s of Thousands of ££ into a car

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Its all just dead money.

Not dead money against depreciation, there are a number of leases available which actually beat depreciation, so you in theory make money on a lease against purchasing outright

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here