Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Randon Question re Gulls Eye

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Tim wrote this in August 2008.

I'm still looking to have a fanzine section in www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk but still scanning actual programmes at the moment

--------------------------------------------

Here's a list of fanzines that we produced for the Collectors' and Historians' Newsletter in Spring 2004. I've updated it to include recent issues (and in the hope and expectation that The Seagull Love Review is a regular issue):

Regular fanzines
And Smith Must Score – 16 A4 numbered issues August 1988 to May 1991. Nos.1–14 numbered on pp2–3, no.15 on p18, n16 on p20.

Gull’s Eye – 100 A5 numbered editions August 1988 to April 1997. No.1 (“Lead by Example”) not numbered. No.3 (“Well Mr Digweed ...”) not numbered. No.19 (November 25th 1989) was wrongly numbered 20. Nos. 27–29 appeared as Gull’s Ear (see below). No.84 had main title “Swiz”. 1 special edition (not numbered) appeared September 27th 1989 between nos.16 and 17. The apostrophe in the title first appeared on issue 30. Blue covers first appeared on issue 40.

Gull’s Ear – 3 A5 numbered (1–3) issues September 1990 to October 1990. These correspond to issues 27–29 of Gulls Eye; see above.

Nine-Nil – probably 23 A5 numbered issues published for each away league game in 1990/91. There appears also to be an issue (numbered 1) for the home Zenith Data Systems Cup match v Crystal Palace February 1991. The Society’s collection is incomplete.

On The Up – 11 A5 numbered issues August 1995 to October 1996. First issue not numbered. Became ...
Seaside Saga – 25 issues numbered 12 (November 1996) to 36 (April/May 2000). Note that issue 14 was wrongly numbered 13 (Feb 1997). No.16 (April 1997 “Final Issue”) not numbered. No.17 (“I’ll get home one day!”) not dated or numbered. There were also two Seaside Saga Summer Special editions for subscribers only (1998 and 1999).

The Tommy Cook Report – 6 A4 issues numbered 1–6 Sept 1995 to Feb 1997, and 2 A5 issues (not numbered) December 1997 and February 1998.

Scars & Stripes – 26 A5 numbered issues September 1997 to May 2000. Note that issue 13 is incorrectly numbered 12 (October 1998) on front but 13 (November 1998) on p2.

Build a Bonfire – 19 A5 numbered issues December 1997 to November 1999. Evolved into ...
Gull’s Eye 2000 – 4 A5 numbered (1–4) issues January 2000 to April 2000. Issue 4 has title “Evening Eyegus”. Further evolved into ...
Gull’s Eye2 – 13 A5 numbered (5–17) issues May 2000 to 2002

Keep The Faith – 17 A5 issues. Nos.2-10 numbered. Nos.1 (Aug 2000), 11 (Aug 2001), 12 (Oct 2001), 13 (New Year 2002), 14 (Feb 2002) and 15 (April 2002) not numbered.

Brighton Rockz – 4 A5 issues numbered 1–4 July 2002 to December 2002

Come Over The Dyke – 4 A5 issues numbered 1–4 November 2004 to April 2005

The Seagull Love Review – 1 A5 issue numbered 1 August 2008 (continuing)

Short-lived fanzines
There is a Rat in the Camp – 2 A5 numbered issues December 1990 and April 1991

Seasons of Missed Opportunities –1 A4 issue Spring 1991

Pretty in Pink – 1 A5 issue published January 1991

One F in Falmer – 1 A5 issue March 2004

Other supporters' publications in a fanzine vein
Mose A Tribute! – 1 A5 issue produced by Gulls Eye team in conjunction with Graham Moseley’s testimonial in April 1990

Flying Eye – 1 A4 magazine by Gulls Eye team published August 2001

One note to the above: Keep the Faith - I only have up to the April 2002 issue ("Last ever in Division Two") and am not now certain that there were editions after that. I'm not sure Ben knows either now! But if anyone can tell me for sure that there are or aren't I'd be grateful.

The Collectors' and Historians' Society has copies of all the above which it archives for posterity EXCEPT some editions of Nine-Nil. We have issue nos.1, 3-8, 10-20 and 22. So if anyone has any other copies of Nine-Nil available, I would gladly take them off your hands and even pay for them!

You might like to know that we try to maintain two copies of everything in case anything untoward should happen to the first copy, but if there are fanzine collectors out there we have quite a few spares for sale.

Every year I cart them along to the Collectors' Fair at Withdean, and every year I cart them back home, so I am advertising them here for sale at 10p each, no bulk discount. Add p&p or handover at a match. I have dozens and dozens, from Gulls Eye to rarer ones like Rat in the Camp and Seasons of Missed Opportunities.

On the other hand, I feel it would be great if we could get the fanzines onto the web as a resource for posterity, with the permission of their originators (and perhaps a warning notice about some remarks that were the subject of litigation!). So if anyone has the time to scan in these fanzines to produce decent quality PDF files, I'd be happy for them to have these spare copies free.

If anyone is interested, PM me.

As an avid programme collector, I am unsure quite how I've managed to miss the collectors fair.

Will there be one this year, at The Amex?

Jul 7, 2003
We were all hoping to get together for the 25th anniversary at the Bolton game but in the last few days have thought about having a dinner to celebrate Roy's invaluable contribution to GE with all the proceeds going to his chosen charity.

Great idea - back at the old Connaught Suites? Not sure if anyone would still want to see Rod Wood stripping these days though:eek:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
"Safe as houses, the goalie in trousers" t-shirt will one day be rereleased by ted baker or Paul smith.
Wish I still had mine :( Be worth a fortune. Legendary fashion!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My fav cover was the first gulf war one with the Iraqis running for cover under a hail of footballs from the palace infidels! Everyone was laughing at college at that one I remember.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
My fav cover was the first gulf war one with the Iraqis running for cover under a hail of footballs from the palace infidels! Everyone was laughing at college at that one I remember.

The most famous/notorious one was of course the one featuring Barry Lloyd and an incoming aircraft. :rolleyes:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
We were all hoping to get together for the 25th anniversary at the Bolton game but in the last few days have thought about having a dinner to celebrate Roy's invaluable contribution to GE with all the proceeds going to his chosen charity.

Well better not ask Nigel Bushfire Ersking along then. I can remember when you,d say to him to take his entrance money out of the bucket for helping sell the mag.
Roy's charity would go without trust me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Regarding the dinners my favourite moments were me and my lady of the time buying Ian Chapman a very decent bottle of wine as a thank you when he left the Albion. I expected him to take it home but he got a glass from the bar and drank the lot in about 20 minutes after I handed it over. I also remember a row between the manager (Guiseppe?) of The Courtlands about the bar and the noise, and him telling Steve Foster that the residents in the room above the bar would not be happy. I pointed out to Guiseppe I was the resident above the bar which Foster seized upon. Suffice to say the bar remained open for a long while after.

Fun times and a Roy memorial charity bash will be a fitting 25th anniversary.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
As an avid programme collector, I am unsure quite how I've managed to miss the collectors fair.

Will there be one this year, at The Amex?

Hopefully, yes.

The priority at the moment is The Museum, but once that is up and running and Tim has had a rest (!), a Collector's Fair is on the Agenda.

Are you in the Collectors & Historians Society? If not, you can download a form from my website www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk It's £10 a year

:thumbsup:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Well better not ask Nigel Bushfire Ersking along then. I can remember when you,d say to him to take his entrance money out of the bucket for helping sell the mag.
Roy's charity would go without trust me.

I remember going on a G.E coach trip down to Plymouth (With a detour to Yeovil on the way back many moons ago :whistle:)

Anybody else on that little jolly?!

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I didn't think you were old enough.

Watching the sado worthing mob selling it outside the church made me laugh. Used to comment on how stupid they looked. Never saw anyone buy one copy even with the worthing mob screaming with their high pitch voices.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Watching the sado worthing mob selling it outside the church made me laugh. Used to comment on how stupid they looked. Never saw anyone buy one copy even with the worthing mob screaming with their high pitch voices.

The "Worthing mob"were there in the days that Albion away meant an ICC coach out of Castle Goring,when the Worthing branch of the BHAFC supporters club were the ONLY ones running any support to away games.
The "sadDo"(at least get your insult right) Gulls Eye crew had done their time in the dark days when supporting the Albion meant 40 Die Hard fans on a 6 hour trip to Bury.They had done their time.
Have you?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Lets not beat about the bush people...it's a palace troll. Don't feed, not worth the price of one GE!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here