Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Random thought re last season

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Conversly when do you think we blew it. I am caught between 2 the late equaliser against Burnley and the defeat at Rotherham. I think Burnley wins because that would have given us 2 more points and them 1 less.

Personally don't believe we blew it we just weren't quite good enough. Unlucky that two other teams matched us in the run in but had a bit of a head start after our poor run which we just couldn't quite peg back. At no stage of the Boro game did I think we were going to win as the sending off came so quickly after our equaliser and we were frankly rubbish in the first half.

WHAT a season though, same again with a better ending please.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If we had won at Boro we would've been promoted that was a good position as far as I'm concerned. Not to mention being top for a long portion of the season.

To be quite honest, it was always going to be a monumental task to win at Middlesbro. Not beating Derby at home was a killer blow for us.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Charlton away. We'd closed the gap to Burnley/Boro from 6/8 points to nothing and had the momentum, even with two tough games to come. Also, for a couple of minutes at Boro. We'd been poor for the first half and Boro could have been out of sight. Then we equalised and were right back in the game before Mike Dean ruined it.

This. When Skalak scored at Charlton I felt almost certain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
From a personal view, having watched B&HA since the late 60s, I guess I am a bit the same, as possibly quite a few fans are? I have always had massive hope and always will do, guess it goes with supporting The Albion..................The only thing I do want, if and when we get promoted to the promised league! is, we are ready for it, in every aspect, I could not stand getting promoted then being humiliated week in week out, all that said, I honestly do think we are in a good place now...........so bring on next season and lets do it!! :)

Strange thing is that I don't feel ready for the new season. I'm normally egging it to come closer, but this time I feel different.

It may be because there seems to have been so many distractions, be it sporting, political, or even personal stuff. Someone said earlier on here that the new season is just two weeks away and I thought "Where the hell has that come from ?"

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
I am never an overly confident fan but when Dunk scored I was convinced, convinced we were gonna win that and the final. Made what followed even harder to take.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Charlton away. We'd closed the gap to Burnley/Boro from 6/8 points to nothing and had the momentum, even with two tough games to come. Also, for a couple of minutes at Boro. We'd been poor for the first half and Boro could have been out of sight. Then we equalised and were right back in the game before Mike Dean ruined it.

This and this. Stephens was absolutely bossing it in that Boro game. And then he was gone.
I can remember spending too much time refreshing my phone during that Charlton game, as ? held on to a 0-0 against one of those Bs.
And we were so good against Sheff Wed, and then it got snatched away from us. I knew by then that it wouldn't happen. There were just too many things not going our way.
@RMTaylor is right about that Forest game too. We were woeful in that second half, but we still won.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
By the time we lost our first game of the season, at home versus the league leaders boro..... I did think how the hell have we gone nearly half a season unbeaten and Boro are the league leaders, if we blew it anywhere, it was during that long unbeaten run, way too many draws, we should have been running away with the league

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
By the time we lost our first game of the season, at home versus the league leaders boro..... I did think how the hell have we gone nearly half a season unbeaten and Boro are the league leaders, if we blew it anywhere, it was during that long unbeaten run, way too many draws, we should have been running away with the league

It was the game before Boro. When La Parra scored at a sodden Loftus Road to put us two-up, I thought we were in heaven. Especially after the diappointment the previous Saturday at Derby. Then half hour later it was leaving with our tail between our legs and what felt like a defeat.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Was there a single moment in the whole season where you actually BELIEVED we were destined to go up?

If so, when? Sheffield Wednesday at home after our goal maybe?

We were so near but we never got into a position where it looked like we were going to do it IMO.

No. If we had been 6 points clear with one game to go I would still have had my doubts .. :D

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The longer the season wore on, the more I found myself willing Boro and Burnley to slip up. Maybe, subconsciously, I just didn't think we were going to grasp it ourselves, with both hands. Maybe I didn't quite have that ultimate confidence. After Charlton, I knew that Derby was crucial. It was unlikely that we would win at Boro. Draw, quite possible, win not so likely. I was gutted after Derby and felt it was play-offs. I was worried about Wednesday and wanted Hull but knew it was going to be Wednesday.
My most optimistic was after MKDons. Everything went for us and it felt great. It was at that point I started to feel we could do it but only if there was a blip from Boro or Burnley. I think that last gasp equaliser when they played each other, confirmed my fears that they would both go to the bitter end.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
We did not quite take it to the wire, but gave both Boro and Wednesday kittens before they prevailed.

I think Burnley were the best team at Championship football. Does not mean they were the best team overall or the best equipped to stay in the Premier League.

Right now (before Newcastle, Villa and Norwich sign some more players) I fancy us and Derby.

I felt after Wolves away we were going to fall short, but when we won our home games (5-2-0), I fancied us to go to Boro still being in with a chance (after the win at Forest).

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Difficult. I don't think I ever thought we were definitely going up. I'm not that optimistic of a person. When I thought we deserved to go up was after the QPR game. We dismantled them. For my money we were playing the best football in the league, the confidence was there, momentum etc etc.

Alas, it wasn't to be.

I'm severely tempering my expectations for this year, way beyond my usual pessimism. I worry there's a proportion of our support who, after the successes of last season, think we're going to have an easy ride this time around and I think they're going to be more disappointed this season than they were at the end of last.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Was there a single moment in the whole season where you actually BELIEVED we were destined to go up?

If so, when? Sheffield Wednesday at home after our goal maybe?

We were so near but we never got into a position where it looked like we were going to do it IMO.

While we were there or thereabouts all season, it never dawned on me that we might go up, until about 2 games from the end - I just hadn't considered it.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
during burnley game for a few minutes up until their equaliser. I was convinced we were going up then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here