Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Random things that happen to you

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Waiting outside an exam hall in Crawley in the early 90’s, a black guy pulled up in a Mercedes and offered me a choice of genuine Rolex Oysters placed on his passenger seat.

Walking along Western Road, Hove a few weeks later, the very same car pulled up and the same bloke pulled up, offering my colleagues and I genuine Rolex Oysters.

He only wanted a few quid, but I declined. What a :dunce: I was, twice. I could’ve bought the lot, then resold them for £10,000’s each.

I think I might have bumped into the same guy around the same time, probably mid nineties, black guy, well dressed, flash car along Western Rd near Brunswick Square trying to sell me some supposedly expensive watches. I can't remember the make though. He said he'd been doing a trade fair or something and had a surplus of stock that he needed to get rid of. I also declined his offer

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Not so much random things, but strange coincidences.

I was drinking in a bar in Wan Chai, chatting with the English barman and found out I had worked with his brother.

A customer of mine in Worthing, from Telford, was the ex boyfriend of a girl who had married a mate of mine, in Telford, and I had gone to the wedding.

Walking down a street in Valletta, I literally bumped into my next door neighbour, neither of us knew the other was in Malta.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
In the late eighties, I was in my mid twenties walking along Portland Road, Hove one Sunday morning. I stopped to look in the window of the bed shop that used to be there. As I was gazing through the window an elderly lady, about 70 stopped and stood next to me and pointed at a double bed. "That's where I belong," she said, "getting a good fu*king", whereupon she continued on her way. Probably on her way to Sunday morning church service.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
South Mimms services always used to be good for this stuff.

A chap approached me there once, on my way to an event, as I got out of an Omega Watches sponsored car, wearing an Omega Watches branded jacket and an Omega Watch, to try to sell me a fake Rolex.

You didn't buy the fake Rolex that you could then sell in the Churchill Square Shopping Centre Carpark for a quid or two profit? Why not?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Interviewing someone for a role and halfway through the interview having a girl emerge from under the boardroom table, apologise and walk out.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
I was eating a Gutbuster in the Market Diner on Comic Relief Day early 90s after finishing my night's work at the wholesale fruit market. An old fella was singing Phil Collins' One More Night. After he got up to leave I started to look through the newspaper he'd left behind. He'd circled a horse named "One More Night". Thinking of this as a good sign I put £50 on the horse which won me £150.

Wasn’t my dad was it? He liked a bet (max about 10p though), he worked at the market from late 60s til he retired in the 90s, and he was always singing (though mainly Yesterday by The Beatles).

If he only put 10p on it, I reckon you did a little better out of it than him!

As an aside, The Market Diner, in the mid 70s, was the first place I saw a hamburger - though originally I thought it was called a Handburger.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Waking up one Sunday morning after a party, in a shopfront where the taxi rank used to be in Queens Road and finding enough coins had been tossed at me to pay for the cab home.
Being asked, when rushing to the dentist, if I would like to take part in an identity parade by a couple of cops.
Phoning for a taxi just after waking up next to a young lady on a Sunday morning and on enquiry finding out that I was only 2 streets away from where I lived.
Being asked for a lift by a young lady when I stopped at the junction of Mount Pleasant and Queens Park Road and when I asked "where to", being boob flashed and told "anywhere you like".
Waking up after a pub crawl and going to a random party, dressed as Dick Turpin and finding I was 4 miles from home with no taxi fair, it was 11am the next day and I had to walk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here