Random Question Time - About Hove Actually

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Yesterday I found out that thie first ever commercial cargo flight took place in 1911, and it took off from Shoreham and landed in Hove, delivering a box of light bulbs

Does anyone know where about it landed in Hove?

Also any other interesting facts about Brighton & Hove would be muchly appreciated :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It landed just outside Hove Town Hall. I believe they were ordered by our very own Lord B.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I read somewhere Brighton police force were the first in the world to use two way radio's

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I read somewhere Brighton police force were the first in the world to use two way radio's

Yeah it was all one-way radios until then.

"I need backup. Over"
"....."
"Officer down. Over"
"......"
Etc

Does anyone know where about it landed in Hove?
Wish Park or Hove Lawns, depending on which source you believe.

Shoreham had a role in aviation history From The Argus)

Shoreham Airport, founded in 1910 when flying was in its infancy, is the oldest civil airport in the world.

A biplane took off from the flat field then serving as the airport to launch the venture but the first real activity took place in 1911.

Pioneer aviators took part in a race from Brooklands motor-racing track to Brighton, while the first commercial flight in the world was from Shoreham to Wish Park in Hove.

Shoreham says

The first flight from Shoreham took place in May 1910, only seven years after the Wright brother's first flight, when Harold Piffard flew his Humming Bird biplane from the grass airfield. The airport itself was officially opened in June 1911 with the first commercial flight to deliver a load of Osram light bulbs to Hove Lawns in a Valkyrie monoplane.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Wish Park or Hove Lawns, depending on which source you believe.

Shoreham had a role in aviation history From The Argus)

Shoreham Airport, founded in 1910 when flying was in its infancy, is the oldest civil airport in the world.

A biplane took off from the flat field then serving as the airport to launch the venture but the first real activity took place in 1911.

Pioneer aviators took part in a race from Brooklands motor-racing track to Brighton, while the first commercial flight in the world was from Shoreham to Wish Park in Hove.

Shoreham says

The first flight from Shoreham took place in May 1910, only seven years after the Wright brother's first flight, when Harold Piffard flew his Humming Bird biplane from the grass airfield. The airport itself was officially opened in June 1911 with the first commercial flight to deliver a load of Osram light bulbs to Hove Lawns in a Valkyrie monoplane.

Hove Lawns is longer which must make it easier for a plane to land! I may go with this. Also, it was Miss B that made this bit of trivia known to me!

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I was the first person to get barred from the King Alfred when it re-opened in the early 80's for fighting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports