[Albion] Random Brighton / Palace rivalry incidents

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dec 29, 2011
Holiday in Greece large swimming pool one end my Brighton beach towel the other end a Palace one we got in the pool and swim towards the middle where the Palace fan said "look I on holiday I don't want any trouble right" it turned out he was a runner as I was and we egged each other on during the two weeks running up a mountain track behind the hotel alternate mornings we would compaire notes briefly at the breakfast self service each was trying to be the first to reach the summit, one morning I reported that I had reached a small shepards hut and noticed a gated fence before returning knowing I was nearing the goal he was determined to beat me and I saw him set off early the next morning.
Expecting to see his smug face later I was a little surprised when he didn't turn up well not until late afternoon it transpired he reached the gated fence and decided to climb over as he could see the summit just beyond as he set off on the final leg several Greek solders stepped out of some undergrowth and at gun point arrested him apparently it was a military base he then spent the entire day being questioned made me laugh I have to say
It appears that thieving little so-and-so nicked your punctuation marks.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
At football training a few years ago (under 11's I think) my son came over to me very worried and said "there is a kid over there in Palace shorts, what should i do dad?". I explained to him that Palace fans are people too and that we should respect everyone.

I also told him that if he gets the chance he should go in hard with a tackle.

I ended up being quite friendly with his dad and found out that the lad wanted to be a Man U fan and his dad had made him wear the shorts and be Palace.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Story two (I've met more Palace in Australia than I ever did in the UK)

I was having lunch at a friend from work's house many years ago now. Talking about football she tells me that her son plays and loves football and I should have a look in his room. I opened up his bedroom door and she proudly marvelled at the evidence of his love of football and our shared interest. You have guessed it Palace ****ing everywhere!!!!

Anyway I got to know him a bit and we still exchange banter every now and then. I even played 5 a side with and against him! It is fair to say that not only is he 20 years my junior but he is also 4 times the player I am (lots of pace and lots of skill). However before one particular game he was giving me a load of shit/bantz about Brighton (Can't remember exactly what but it is fair to assume that they had beaten us). Anyway he managed to get under my skin and wind me up just before the game started.

The game did not play out the way either of us expected as his team were younger, faster and better than mine and with him pulling the strings they should have won easily. However I rolled back the years with my righteous anger and did not let him have a kick. Literally everywhere he was in his palace shorts, I was there blocking or intercepting. I repeatedly took the ball of him and went down the other end and scored. Without doubt the best game I have ever played and all focused on ruining his night. We walked off victorious and as we shook hands he laughed "That is the last time i wind you up about Brighton before a game". I would have come back with a witty retort but i was absolutely knackered and just smiled and shook his hand.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The Fish and Chip Shop incident East Croydon circa mid 80s on the way back from playing Millwall.
A select club of food aficionados and a battering that spawned long term friendships .

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I was driving my BMW Mini Cooper S through Croydon, about 5 years ago, as part of the London to Brighton Mini Run. It had a BHA private reg, a BHA sticker in the rear window and a small flag on the radio aerial.

Whilst queuing in traffic I noticed someone ‘gesticulating’ in the car behind me. I gave him a friendly thumbs-up. This was clearly a red rag to a bull, as he got out his car and tried to pick a fight with me. Without getting out I tried to calm him down, but this just inflamed the situation! He started punching my window and kicking the body work. After trying to pull the flag off the aerial, he eventually returned to his car and very embarrassed girlfriend. When the queue of cars started moving, he took the next right turn.

After getting out of Croydon, we pulled up to see if there was any damaged. Thankfully there was nothing.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I was driving my BMW Mini Cooper S through Croydon, about 5 years ago, as part of the London to Brighton Mini Run. It had a BHA private reg, a BHA sticker in the rear window and a small flag on the radio aerial.

Whilst queuing in traffic I noticed someone ‘gesticulating’ in the car behind me. I gave him a friendly thumbs-up. This was clearly a red rag to a bull, as he got out his car and tried to pick a fight with me. Without getting out I tried to calm him down, but this just inflamed the situation! He started punching my window and kicking the body work. After trying to pull the flag off the aerial, he eventually returned to his car and very embarrassed girlfriend. When the queue of cars started moving, he took the next right turn.

After getting out of Croydon, we pulled up to see if there was any damaged. Thankfully there was nothing.

In fairness traffic in croydon is dreadful at the best of times, i would be angry as well if this was made worse by loads of people out on a jolly driving minis.
I wouldnt get out of my car angry but if the mini driver in front gave me a thumbs up whilst i was stuck behind them in traffic because of their jolly day out i would certainly let a few swear words go

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
In fairness traffic in croydon is dreadful at the best of times, i would be angry as well if this was made worse by loads of people out on a jolly driving minis.
I wouldnt get out of my car angry but if the mini driver in front gave me a thumbs up whilst i was stuck behind them in traffic because of their jolly day out i would certainly let a few swear words go

Let’s be clear, the queuing traffic wasn’t that bad and his response was a massive overreaction! If you’d seen the look on his face, whilst punching my window, you’d have known that he was clearly under the influence of some illicit substance!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Let’s be clear, the queuing traffic wasn’t that bad and his response was a massive overreaction! If you’d seen the look on his face, whilst punching my window, you’d have known that he was clearly under the influence of some illicit substance!

Glad thats cleared up

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
he was clearly under the influence of some illicit substance!

In fairness most of Croydon is, it’s how they get by.
He was just probably really angry because you were reminding him, with your clever sticker, there is a road out of London, I mean do you honestly think if there was a Brighton to London car or bike run half as many would turn up ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
About 12 years ago I turned up at house in Camden opposite the Sainsbury’s knocked on the day and a bald gentlemen who was slightly over weight and about 6’2, opened the door, he was wearing shorts as it was a nice hot summers day. I have come to fit your carpet Mr Nomark, ah great it’s my sons room follow me..... as I follow the gentleman upstairs with my tool bag I notice on his hairy leg is a tattoo, not just any tattoo but a..... bloody eagle, not any eagle a bloody Palace eagle.... he leads me into his sons room, yep he had cleared all the furniture, taken the old carpet up, however the Walls were adorned with Palace posters and Stickers......
I say not a word....

I fit the carpet, he gives me a £10 tip, I say my goodbyes, thank you so kind.....

Just after Christmas I arrive at work collect my job sheets for the day, oh great last job Camden where I live, it does not register it’s the same house. Last job of the day I knock on the door, this time a women answers the door, “I’m here to fit a carpet”, yes she replies my sons room, you did it early this year but we had a leak from the radiator..... “oh i think I originally fitted it” I said forgetting my misdeed, “Oh it’s was you was it, Terry was really angry about what you did”..... “I told him it’s just football and not to get wound up about it”....

Oh yeah, it came back to me, as I entered the room covered in posters of Palace, I noticed the bare floorboards had been painted in an area roughly 2ft x 4ft covering “ ᛈᚨᛚᚨᚲᛖ ᚨᚱᛖ ᛋᚺᛁᛏ” I had written in thick black marker several months earlier.....

I was impressed he had taken the time and effort to translate it, good job he was working when I went back, I think Terry might of walloped me one....

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
As school time was approaching I decided to leave before ft but couldn’t resist a “ come on you reds “ in my best scouse accent , it was met with a few tuts

The long winter evenings must fly past in your squat.

matbha

Apr 13, 2014
Coming back after getting beat by palace my dads mate had a banner waiting in palace colours splattered all over the front of his house

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Coming back from a match years ago with my mate and his girlfriend in her car and we broke down. None of us had much clue about car mechanics (still haven't really) so we're standing in the road looking at it and a car pulls up. Bloke gets out and asks what the problem is and is able to fix it. Where have you been he asks - to the football we reply we're Brighton fans. At which point he smiles and reveals his palace shirt under his coat. They ain't all bad !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports