Ramblers - A rant!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I said this over a month ago when having a go about Lewes DC claiming they wanted to save the beauty of the downs

"If they would like to preserve the South Downs why are they allowing an ugly bridge to be built across the A26 between Newhaven and Beddingham. Oh I forgot it's for "nice" people called ramblers. You see they cannot manage to cross the road so we have to spend my guess £1/2 million for a handful of people to have their leisure pursuit..

I have not changed my mind. That bridge is an abomination right in the middle of lovely countryside whereas the Stadium is mostly in a built up area surrounded by rail, road and ugly buildings.

Double standards.

London Calling said:
Don't know about that bridge, but its probably sanctioning a "right of way". That's right an established right of way of British citizens to follow a route we have been using for a millenium. Routes we were using before cars, b4 motoways, b4 by passes.

The problem is not the bridge, the problem is you my son, for not supporting people protecting our rights, which all over the country have been lost to the land owners and vested interests of this country.

LC
This particular bridge carries the South Downs Way, which is the M27 of the rambling world. I have no particular problem with the concept of nationally designated rambling routes. But they do get very congested in the summer. The advantage is that they keep the crowds (and the mountain bikers) away from the quiet countryside that is so delightful.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lord Bracknell said:
This particular bridge carries the South Downs Way, which is the M27 of the rambling world. I have no particular problem with the concept of nationally designated rambling routes. But they do get very congested in the summer. The advantage is that they keep the crowds (and the mountain bikers) away from the quiet countryside that is so delightful.

Now that does sound like a ramblers rant :lolol: :lolol:

Sep 20, 2005
Tom Hark said:
I'm always mightily impressed by those highly detailed Country Walks in the Argus , y'know the one that take seven and three quarter hours with a stop for refreshments halfway round. Take the second stile on the left and proceed 550 yards to Old Todger Farm, that kind of thing. Anybody ever done one?
I've done loads. They're flipping brilliant. No, I'm not joking.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Beach Hut said:
Didn't it take years to put the bridge in at Lancing to cross the A27
Yes, took far to long, knew several people who were killed crossing that stretch of road. :nono:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Ive done hillwalks a plenty, especially in Wales. A sleeping bag is more important than kedall mint cake. Injury, shock, exposure etc.

Country people walk, townies ramble. I like the kind of walks that you need climbing rope for.:D

a bridge on either would spoil it for me, water to cross or traffic is half the fun.

Sounds like these ramblers are a bit like the rabbit on a dog racing track. But I agree with LB, these nursery walks stop the townies spoiling the real countryside.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports